I said it first, "Next year, TJ will be as good as Chancellor"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Both players have a similar size, are aggressive, hard hitters. T.J. was playing well last year, was one of the sure tacklers we had on defense. With our pass rush, and Williams as coordinator, I see him having an important role in cleaning up short routes over the middle. I think his play next year will surprise us.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I personally see T.J. McDonald as our version of the late Sean Taylor. Enforcer over the middle, same height and weight, and an underrated ballhawk. A lesser version, yes, but they play the game the exact same way.

A55VA6

Legend
TJ is a good player. I like some of what I saw last year when he was healthy. I'd like to see him get better in coverage, but he'll definitely play in the box a lot.

RamsOfCastamere

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I personally see T.J. McDonald as our version of the late Sean Taylor. Enforcer over the middle, same height and weight, and an underrated ballhawk. A lesser version, yes, but they play the game the exact same way.

What do you mean by a lesser version? If you're talking about talent/performance, then there is no need to set a low expectation, especially after only seeing a limited rookie year. He could be better than Sean Taylor.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
TJ looked fairly solid but only watching him play his rookie season (not even a season due to injury), I would have to disagree with the comparison to Chancellor who is one of the best if not the best in the game right now. TJ has potential but he has not convinced me beyond a doubt that he is that type of player.

RamsOfCastamere

TJ looked fairly solid but only watching him play his rookie season (not even a season due to injury), I would have to disagree with the comparison to Chancellor who is one of the best if not the best in the game right now. TJ has potential but he has not convinced me beyond a doubt that he is that type of player.

Don't worry, you'll be convinced next year.

Alan

Legend
Ram Quixote unconcerned:
So a player breaks a leg (a non-displaced break), returns during the season and his health is suddenly a concern? I think you're taking his injury too far.
Who said it was sudden? :)

I wouldn't go so far as to say I was concerned though. There's a question in my mind now. There's almost always a good reason why a guy got injured. Is it his style of play. I'm not saying it is but there's a question in my mind now.

As for T.J. himself, I agree with AVA that his coverage skills need improvement. He runs himself out of plays too. Still, not bad for a rookie but he'll never be able to handle the duties of a FS IMO. :coffee:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Chancelor is not all that great outside the box either. Big hitter good run support plays good in the role they have him in. TJ will be every bit that player in William's defense.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Both players have a similar size, are aggressive, hard hitters. T.J. was playing well last year, was one of the sure tacklers we had on defense. With our pass rush, and Williams as coordinator, I see him having an important role in cleaning up short routes over the middle. I think his play next year will surprise us.

I'm with you! We got something in TJ. Pair him with Pryor, Dix or my favorite: Ward, and our back end is fixed for years. I hope we go Safety no later than #44. If we do, we won't have to overpay for a stop-gap veteran.

Alan

Legend
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737409/deone-bucannon
COMPARES TO: Craig Dahl, San Francisco 49ers - Like the 6-1, 212-pound Dahl, Bucannon possesses an imposing frame and good closing speed which can result in some big hits. While possessing better ball-skills perhaps than Dahl, Bucannon is not particularly fluid which could lead to his struggles earning (and keeping) a starting role in the NFL.
No thank you. Didn't we just get rid of one of those? :LOL:
Ward is a SS. Again, no thanks. Ha-Ha or Pryor. Preferably Ha-Ha.

RamsOfCastamere

COMPARES TO: Craig Dahl, San Francisco 49ers - Like the 6-1, 212-pound Dahl, Bucannon possesses an imposing frame and good closing speed which can result in some big hits. While possessing better ball-skills perhaps than Dahl, Bucannon is not particularly fluid which could lead to his struggles earning (and keeping) a starting role in the NFL.

Eww. I don't know anything about him, but I don't want anyone compared to Craig Dahl. No thanks

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Eww. I don't know anything about him, but I don't want anyone compared to Craig Dahl. No thanks

Bucannon is not Craig Dahl. I know that you're getting that report from CBSSports, but they're doing him a great disservice by comparing him to Dahl. Dahl never had the ballskills that Bucannon has, and will never have them. Dahl has never had the coverage skills that Bucannon has consistently displayed throughout his career. And while Bucannon does have problems with tackling, it's not because of an unwillingness on his part. His problems can be fixed.

Better comparison is a lesser version of Eric Berry. Not as highly regarded and has flaws, but he's just as dynamic a playmaker if you give him a shot.

Also, when I mean a lesser version of Sean Taylor for T.J. McDonald, I don't think he's going to be as good as Taylor was. Taylor would probably still be playing at a high level were it not for his untimely death. T.J. Mac has a long way to go before he's at the level of Taylor.

RamsOfCastamere

Bucannon is not Craig Dahl. I know that you're getting that report from CBSSports, but they're doing him a great disservice by comparing him to Dahl. Dahl never had the ballskills that Bucannon has, and will never have them. Dahl has never had the coverage skills that Bucannon has consistently displayed throughout his career. And while Bucannon does have problems with tackling, it's not because of an unwillingness on his part. His problems can be fixed.

Better comparison is a lesser version of Eric Berry. Not as highly regarded and has flaws, but he's just as dynamic a playmaker if you give him a shot.

Also, when I mean a lesser version of Sean Taylor for T.J. McDonald, I don't think he's going to be as good as Taylor was. Taylor would probably still be playing at a high level were it not for his untimely death. T.J. Mac has a long way to go before he's at the level of Taylor.

I didn't get that from cbssports. I got it from Alan, who got it from cbssports (I didn't click on the link). I wasn't saying no thanks to Bucannon, but no thanks to Craig Dahl or anyone similar. I'll root for him if we draft him.

Sean Taylor was a beast. I interpreted your post as having a limit to his ceiling. My point is that he shouldn't have a ceiling because we do not know. I'm sure you want him to be better than Taylor if he can and did not mean to put a cap on his potential, but that was my interpretation.

SierraRam

Recreational User

Ward is a football player who can cover, tackle and think. Somebody is gonna to get a good Safety - hope its us

A55VA6

Legend
I've heard good things about Bucannon but him being compared to Craig Dahl? Ouch.