I love watching our....defense ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
OBVIOUSLY the offense is greatly improved from the last 2 years . But could it have gotten any worse ?
We went from having the worst receiving core in football to in my opinion the best . The o line is playing tremendous and Todd gurley is playing like the superstar he is.

We all know the talent that this defense has , on paper they should have been an elite defense for the last 3 seasons. BUT they lacked discipline and always broke down at the worst times , which was beyond frustrating as a fan.

This current defense is playing lights out and I love it ! Most people are freaking out about the offense but I think the D has been equally impressive . They are dominating
the line of scrimmage, swarming the ball carrier and taking the ball away . They are alot of fun to watch and I expect them to only get better .

This is the next great defense in the NFL

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I agree to a point. The run D still has my heart in my mouth on occasions. I think they are getting better and hope that continues but in recent games, the fact we have been getting of to a flyer and leading teams early has taken the opposition run game away in some respects.

To be honest, I'm enjoying the whole package. How often can a fan say that we expect something to happen when our ST take the field?

Last edited:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I keep reading a little panic from some of our great ROD posters about the Run-Defense.

It seems like a good handful of fans are worried that the Rams Run-D is going to be their ultimate undoing.

I don't pretend to not see the same leaks during games, but this defense has pretty much lost only one game this year when they needed to man up and stop the run. That was against Washington in week 2.

Rams Run Defense for the Season.

RUSHING AVG YARDS ALLOWED Per Game for the Season: 118.0 Rank #24

RUSHING AVG YARDS ALLOWED Last 3 Games 75.0 Rank #5

I get that the last 3 games doesn't mean they will finish 5th in Run Defense and obviously the pedigree of the opponents O-Line and RB's plays a big part vs teams with softer run defenses.

With 7 games to go I have faith that Wade will keep them trending up and their are 7 games left to determine if they're closer to #24 or #5. I highly doubt that the Run Defense with be the undoing of the Rams like many seem to be concerned about.

This defense is a "takeaway" machine and leads the league with a total of 19 (Rank #1)

This Defense averages 3.1 SACKS per game (Rank #4)

This Defense has Allowed 204.1 yards per game Passing (Rank #9)

This DEFENSE after 10 games has allowed 18.0 Points Per game (Rank #3) (tied with Carolina)

Last 3 games Allowed 8.0 Points Per game (Rank #1) (tied with Jacksonville)

Rams Total Yards Allowed per game. 322.1 (Rank #14) Last 3 games 266.0 (Rank #3)

There are only a few defenses in the NFL that I would rather have over the Rams. I don't say that just because I'm a homer, I say it because I believe what my eyes have seen even when they've looked vulnerable.

Wade knows a lot more now about what his front 7 can and can't do after 10 games of film and being familiar with each players strengths and weaknesses.

As a total unit his defense makes up for their weaknesses because of their big play ability and Phillips' being very savvy at adjusting as the game goes along.

I trust him to have his players prepared when the chips are down in these big games coming up.

r244379_576x324_16-9.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
great work as always Florida

The run D still has my heart in my mouth on occasions.
I think starting Westbrooks was silly last game....he's not a NG.

This is a terrible number and could come back to bite us....

I'm interested in our YPC numbers as well now....got to get that below 100....

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I have not made many comments about defense, mostly because I really don’t know how good or bad Our defense is at the moment. I have the same concerns with our run D that a lot of others have. I am also concerned with some of our coverage. I have no concerns on the line, they have played great IMO. The numbers reflect a good defense I can’t argue that, but I am worried.

I think after our next 4 games we will know what we have on defense. We will need the defense to play big in these games.

I’m cautiously optimistic about the next 4 games and how our defense will play.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I have not made many comments about defense, mostly because I really don’t know how good or bad Our defense is at the moment. I have the same concerns with our run D that a lot of others have. I am also concerned with some of our coverage. I have no concerns on the line, they have played great IMO. The numbers reflect a good defense I can’t argue that, but I am worried.

I think after our next 4 games we will know what we have on defense. We will need the defense to play big in these games.

I’m cautiously optimistic about the next 4 games and how our defense will play.

I'm with you. They've improved greatly since Brian Hoyer and the 49ers lit them up, but going against the likes of Scott Tolzien, Blake Bortles, Tom Savage, a 37 year old Carson Palmer to Drew Stanton (w/o stud RB David Johnson) and a 36 year old Eli Manning (minus his top 3 WRs & 2 OLinemen) helped this defenses stats out quite a bit.

These next few weeks will really tell us what they have on defense, IMO.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If I have to register any kind of complaint on our defense, it would have to be that the worst of our suspicions has become evident with Quinn, he's no longer a 3 down LB'er or DE, he should be more of a rotational player if anything. Our edge rush with both OLB'ers is lacking, and our rush defense isn't what we want either. Once Philips gets HIS permanent players set at these positions, we'll see pretty immediate progress, imo. While Barwin may be a Philips pick, I tend to see him as an affordable fill-in for how the team approaches 2018. Where McVay had the bulk of 2017 free agency and draft choices to make a more immediate impact on offense to protect Goff and give him some exceptional targets, Wade will get a similar allowance in 2018 to finish the build on our new 3 - 4 base D. Being that we have seen increased playing time for both Ebukam & Longacre, we know we are strong on depth, although we still might want that elite pass rusher who creates QB hurries & sacks on a more consistent basis.
Going forward, i'd be curious if Wade will have us return Brockers to NT and seek another LDE, or keep Brockers mostly at LDE, and look to a rotational NT which is better suited in rush defense as Tanzel Smart is deservedly losing snaps. This may be decided on whether Easley returns healthy next season or not, but I see it as kind of up in the air at the moment. jmo.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I'm with you. They've improved greatly since Brian Hoyer and the 49ers lit them up, but going against the likes of Scott Tolzien, Blake Bortles, Tom Savage, a 37 year old Carson Palmer to Drew Stanton (w/o stud RB David Johnson) and a 36 year old Eli Manning (minus his top 3 WRs & 2 OLinemen) helped this defenses stats out quite a bit.

These next few weeks will really tell us what they have on defense, IMO.
Dude I think you are picking at the losses too much. Brady is 40 so there's no need to use age as a means to belittle our wins. Palmer still had his weapons and the "rejuvenated" AP that had 130+ yrd games before and after ours.

Let's pick at the Eagles wins. Who did they beat notable? The Redskins twice, the Panthers and the Chargers by two pts??? Get the fuck out of here, we can expose them lucky fuckers!!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
My only gripes? Run D for sure and KWeb on soft cushions/late to react to curl and hook routes. I love the guy (esp bc he's shown me love on social media;even retweeted me once!), but his coverage skills have left me slightly disappointed... Not to mention I feel like he's had several penalties called on him this year.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The defense has a lot to prove they have did what they supposed to do shut down the bad teams and back up QBs but all of that is about to change. I think the defense is looking forward to the challenge to show everyone that they are the real deal

Memphis Ram

Legend
Dude I think you are picking at the losses too much. Brady is 40 so there's no need to use age as a means to belittle our wins. Palmer still had his weapons and the "rejuvenated" AP that had 130+ yrd games before and after ours.

Let's pick at the Eagles wins. Who did they beat notable? The Redskins twice, the Panthers and the Chargers by two pts??? Get the freak out of here, we can expose them lucky fuckers!!

Dude, Palmer isn't Brady (who has had far fewer injuries, btw) and the former had almost as many INTs to TDs prior to going down. Cardinals fans were even questioning how much he had left.

And I'd take a closer look at the Eagles if that's what this thread was in reference to, but it isn't. The discussion was in regards to the Rams defense.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I liken the way our defense plays to the way Floyd Mayweather fights. If you watch a Mayweather fight, the first 3-4 rounds are almost always competitive, at least competitive enough to make you believe his opponent has a chance to pull the upset. But by the end of those 3-4 rounds, Mayweather has his opponent figured out, starts doing his thing, and absolutely dominates the rest of the way.

Since the Dallas game, our defense seems to do the same thing. Seems like most teams lately have success against our D in the first half, often times with it being confined to the first quarter. The opponents may move the ball well and have a little success early, but then Wade and the D adjusts and pretty much shuts them down at least until garbage time, if not the rest of the game overall.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Its no secret we Do have issues in stopping the run early its a fact. The front seven just takes time to get up to power & running smooth reminds me of an old Ford diesel truck in the cold. Once it get warm up it just gets better and better & better.......non of our veteran starters at LB'ers have played in a 34 base defense in many moons.I would think that as the season rounds the final quarter this issue should fade away. Why because the run defense turns up the heat & ends in destroy mode.

We may have one of two starters who will not produce as well in this 34 defense & will be gone by next season. No way to know if the Rams Org will make a strong attempt to secure Conner Barwin for a few more seasons either. Conner is slowly getting better with each passing game. Looking more like his earlier years when he was with Wade defense with the Texans back in 2011. Rams do have some younger OSLB'ers that could step up next season too in Ebukam, Price & Thompson.

Rams have locked up 2 interior LB'ers who IMO are outstanding & you may discover it hard to find 2 better inside LB'ers at the moment. Both Mark & Alec have played/ started on the outside too. I'm not of the opinion that Wade needs a big draft investment (High Draft Pick) will be needed here @ Edge Rusher.

If the Rams end up without both our current veteran starters @ OSLB'er by the time of the draft ....I would prefer to do a repeat of what Snead did in the 2017 Ram draft in attaining a few tweeners. Good Twenners can be found very late on the 3rd day of the NFL draft. It would be foolish not to take advantage of this normal stable that all the 34 "D" teams do every draft. Save the 1st, 3rd & 4th draft selections for LT & 2 outside CB's!

Ram65

Legend

Way to high. Redskins showed teams Rams could be run on.

Bad teams with no QBs.

I think starting Westbrooks was silly last game....he's not a NG.

This shows us that Wade is searching for answers. Westbrooks isn't the answer at NT/NG

My only gripes? Run D for sure and KWeb on soft cushions/late to react to curl and hook routes. I love the guy (esp bc he's shown me love on social media;even retweeted me once!), but his coverage skills have left me slightly disappointed... Not to mention I feel like he's had several penalties called on him this year.

I notice big cushions when he came back. He was a little tighter last week but, this week will be a big test.

I've been one of the more critical posters on the porous run defense, inconsistant pass rush and some soft coverage. The Rams defense has been opportunistic with turnovers while having easier opponents.They have mostly played with a lead too. They have to step it up a notch or two. Getting Ebukam and Price into the mix with the veterans could step up the defense. These tough games coming up will tell us just good the Rams defense is.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
A lot of the Run D issues happened in the first few games. I attribute that to the 3-4 adjustment growing pains. We will see for sure down the stretch.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Call me crazy but if Phillips is mixing and matching talent, I’d consider putting Brockers back in the middle with Westbrooks and Fox at RDE since Longacre is now doing a better job at settling the edge as he takes more reps from Quinn. I say this because the next two weeks we will see better run offenses. I’d probably go back to this current configuration during obvious passing situations.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Dude, Palmer isn't Brady (who has had far fewer injuries, btw) and the former had almost as many INTs to TDs prior to going down. Cardinals fans were even questioning how much he had left.

And I'd take a closer look at the Eagles if that's what this thread was in reference to, but it isn't. The discussion was in regards to the Rams defense.
Yeah a thought came to mine and I did go on a tangent a bit at the end. I just think we're a little hard on our defense and are overlooking how much they've improved recently.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I keep reading a little panic from some of our great ROD posters about the Run-Defense.

It seems like a good handful of fans are worried that the Rams Run-D is going to be their ultimate undoing.

I don't pretend to not see the same leaks during games, but this defense has pretty much lost only one game this year when they needed to man up and stop the run. That was against Washington in week 2.

I get that the last 3 games doesn't mean they will finish 5th in Run Defense and obviously the pedigree of the opponents O-Line and RB's plays a big part vs teams with softer run defenses.

With 7 games to go I have faith that Wade will keep them trending up and their are 7 games left to determine if they're closer to #24 or #5. I highly doubt that the Run Defense with be the undoing of the Rams like many seem to be concerned about.

This defense is a "takeaway" machine and leads the league with a total of 19 (Rank #1)

This Defense averages 3.1 SACKS per game (Rank #4)

This Defense has Allowed 204.1 yards per game Passing (Rank #9)

This DEFENSE after 10 games has allowed 18.0 Points Per game (Rank #3) (tied with Carolina)

Last 3 games Allowed 8.0 Points Per game (Rank #1) (tied with Jacksonville)

Rams Total Yards Allowed per game. 322.1 (Rank #14) Last 3 games 266.0 (Rank #3)

There are only a few defenses in the NFL that I would rather have over the Rams. I don't say that just because I'm a homer, I say it because I believe what my eyes have seen even when they've looked vulnerable.

Wade knows a lot more now about what his front 7 can and can't do after 10 games of film and being familiar with each players strengths and weaknesses.

As a total unit his defense makes up for their weaknesses because of their big play ability and Phillips' being very savvy at adjusting as the game goes along.

I trust him to have his players prepared when the chips are down in these big games coming up.

r244379_576x324_16-9.jpg

Good stuff, Flow Ridah. I've always been a fan of the three game breakdown. And I know where you got those stats. A drastic change in one game is an anomaly, a change over two games is a coincidence, and a change over 3 games is a trend.

So yeah, we're trending up.