I know it's early but let's talk MVP

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We're barely over the 100 game mark but there are some performances ongoing that make fans chant "MVP!!!!". Many fans have "personal parameters" when thinking about the award. For instance I think it's got to be a position player. I also believe he's got to come from a top tier club. You may or may not agree with that view. I don't vote so it doesn't matter. Last years winners, Trout and Kershaw might not repeat. IMHO, probably won't repeat.

Trout led the majors in extra base hits (84) and WAR (5.9). He was 4th in homers (36) and 2nd in Rbi (111). His team led the majors in wins with 98. Kershaw had awesome numbers and was certainly worthy of the award. Personally, I would have gone with McCutcheon. Rizzo and Stanton had phenominal numbers but played on second tier teams. I would have given it to Josh Harrison before either of those two. He, like Michael Young before him, epitomized the award. Played everywhere on a winner, produced everywhere they played. But that's not the point of this thread.

Who would you give the MVP to, right now?

I'd go Mark Teixiera (sue me I'm a Yankee fan) and Bryce Harper.
There are 6 guys with 28 or more homers. Both of them are in that group.
There are 9 guys with 70 or more Rbi. Teixiera is 4th with 74, Harper is 10th with 68.
There are 7 guys with 50 or more extra base hits. Both of them are in that group.
There are 10 guys with 55 walks or more. Both of them are in that group too.
They play everyday and both of their teams are winning.

I realize Teixiera is hitting just .266 but a hitting coach of mine once told me a long time ago, "Hits don't win ballgames. Runs win ball games."

So who you got on your ballot?

fearsomefour

Legend
We're barely over the 100 game mark but there are some performances ongoing that make fans chant "MVP!!!!". Many fans have "personal parameters" when thinking about the award. For instance I think it's got to be a position player. I also believe he's got to come from a top tier club. You may or may not agree with that view. I don't vote so it doesn't matter. Last years winners, Trout and Kershaw might not repeat. IMHO, probably won't repeat.

Trout led the majors in extra base hits (84) and WAR (5.9). He was 4th in homers (36) and 2nd in Rbi (111). His team led the majors in wins with 98. Kershaw had awesome numbers and was certainly worthy of the award. Personally, I would have gone with McCutcheon. Rizzo and Stanton had phenominal numbers but played on second tier teams. I would have given it to Josh Harrison before either of those two. He, like Michael Young before him, epitomized the award. Played everywhere on a winner, produced everywhere they played. But that's not the point of this thread.

Who would you give the MVP to, right now?

I'd go Mark Teixiera (sue me I'm a Yankee fan) and Bryce Harper.
There are 6 guys with 28 or more homers. Both of them are in that group.
There are 9 guys with 70 or more Rbi. Teixiera is 4th with 74, Harper is 10th with 68.
There are 7 guys with 50 or more extra base hits. Both of them are in that group.
There are 10 guys with 55 walks or more. Both of them are in that group too.
They play everyday and both of their teams are winning.

I realize Teixiera is hitting just .266 but a hitting coach of mine once told me a long time ago, "Hits don't win ballgames. Runs win ball games."

So who you got on your ballot?
I don't know who I would choose.
I do know a .266 hitter aint it.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know who I would choose.
I do know a .266 hitter aint it.

Well, I probably spoke too soon about last year's winners "probably not" repeating. Trout may very well do it. But that .266 hitter is #4 in AL OPS with .957. Like I said, 'hits don't win ballgames, runs win ballgames'. Certainly if you've got the runs AND homers AND rbi, it isn't a black mark to have the hits too.

M.Cabrera 1.034
Trout 1.025
Cruz .961
Teixiera .957
ARod .918

Cabrera has missed too much time to get the vote. Cruz plays on a club 10 games under .500 and sure to finish closer to -20. I must admit, if they maintain their pace, Trout wins out over Tex. That being said, I don't think anybody given 25 tries would have picked the two guys at #4 and #5 to be there.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd give the N.L. MVP to Goldschmidt, personally. But we all know that Harper's going to win it.

And Teixeira? No way. Trout wins it, and deservedly so. That would be my choice, even though the Angels are a scumbag organization.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'd give the N.L. MVP to Goldschmidt, personally. But we all know that Harper's going to win it.

And Teixeira? No way. Trout wins it, and deservedly so. That would be my choice, even though the Angels are a scumbag organization.
The age old debate....does the MVP go to the best player or the most valuable player on the best or a competitive team?
A scumbag organization? What did they do, hack into another teams data info? (blue font)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The age old debate....does the MVP go to the best player or the most valuable player on the best or a competitive team?
A scumbag organization? What did they do, hack into another teams data info? (blue font)

Nope. They just try to force guys to pitch with bone spurs in their elbows (C.J. Wilson) and have teammates/organization plants question their injuries in reports and not even have the courage to put their names to their quotes. Also, the whole saga with Josh Hamilton was disgusting with what they tried to do to him. Sure he's an addict, but that doesn't negate the fact that they signed him without language in his contract.

And at least Wilson put his name out when he was talking about Hamilton.

But anyway, the Nationals without Harper? They would still be playoff bound. The Diamondbacks without Goldschmidt? Bottom of the league.

fearsomefour

Legend
Nope. They just try to force guys to pitch with bone spurs in their elbows (C.J. Wilson) and have teammates/organization plants question their injuries in reports and not even have the courage to put their names to their quotes. Also, the whole saga with Josh Hamilton was disgusting with what they tried to do to him. Sure he's an addict, but that doesn't negate the fact that they signed him without language in his contract.

But anyway, the Nationals without Harper? They would still be playoff bound. The Diamondbacks without Goldschmidt? Bottom of the league.
I agree about Goldschmidt an Harper.
CJ Wilson was injured when he was an amateur player. He has an arm he can't fully straighten and has for years.
I don't agree that the Angels are somehow responsible for Hamilton being an addict who behaved like an addict.
As for an MLB team screwing over players and not giving a toss about player health/injury or whatever else, this is par for the course in MLB. The Angels may or may not be worse than any other organizations.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

It's a business. And sometimes in business there are some shady dealings. "Forced him to pitch"? Could be. Or he could have had a hand in that too.

But the Nationals would still be playoff bound without Harper? I don't even slightly agree with that. Rendon has missed 77 games. Werth has missed 70. Span 44. Zimmerman 41. Last year those first three collectively hit .294, scored 290 runs, drove in 202 runs, had 115 doubles, 41 homers and 57 stolen bases. The Nationals don't even smell the postseason without Harper.....IMHO, of course.

Goldy is a great hitter, terrific player. Had he spent his last 2 seasons in LA or SF, he'd have an MVP on his mantle. All that production out of Goldy has helped Arizona win 114 the last year and a half plus. A three year best 81-81 in 2013. Again, JMHO.

Last edited: