I have concerns about our O line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Look, I don't want to get all negative here. I like the fact that we FINALLY really addressed our holes on the O line in the draft. I mean other than G Rob last year, we haven't really spent much time or draft resources on the line. I think it's about time that we did something about it. But even if the guys they draft work out, I'm still concerned about the next season.

Let's face it we're going to have at least a rookie or two start. That's always a recipe for disaster. The offensive line takes a little while to learn. G Rob did not look all that great last year and he's one of the most athletically talented linemen in the NFL. I'm also worried about the ability to pass block on the guys we did draft. I realize that the Rams want to run it down everyone's throats, but eventually you got to pass. If our defense has an off day for whatever reason, and we're forced to pass then were screwed. The guys we picked are run blockers and not particularly adept at pass blocking.

Given the time it takes for linemen to get up to speed, I feel like the Rams see 2015 as a wasted year. Maybe we sign Barksdale and maybe he will add some stability (though I seriously doubt he'll sign since we already drafted his replacement) and we won't have to start two rookies. But starting two rooks on the O line to me, means at best an 8-8 season and I think we're all a bit sick and tired of the non winning seasons.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Havenstein and Donnal come from the two best colleges in the country when it comes to being trained to play OLine. Their learning curve will be no concern.

I don't know about Brown or Wichman. If Brown moves to Guard though the transition there is not as difficult.

I think they will be fine and many on this board over played the idea that starting rookies on the line is a mistake. Many teams do it every year.

jjab360

Legend
There were plenty of rookie O-linemen who started last year and did fine, especially at offensive guard. Depending on the program you come from and how much experience you have, O-linemen can be plenty successful as rookies. GRob had a learning curve because he was coming from a spread option offense as only a sophomore.

The guys we drafted this year all came from pro style systems, have pretty refined technique, and a ridiculous number of games under their belts.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
3 OLs started 2 rookies last year, the Falcons started Jake Matthews and James Stone, the Jaguars (youngest OL in the league, had 2 more starters with less than 16 starts) started Luke Bowanko ( and Brandon Linder, and the Colts started Jack Mewhort and (UDFA) Jonotthan Harrison, they had the 26th, 18th and 17th best OLs (according to PFF.com). It's not ideal, but I don't think it automatically spells disaster.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Plenty of rookie linemen make an impact in their rookie years. The Pouncey's both made the pro bowl, Kalil, Zach Martin. I'm sure there's more, but I found those with a quick Google search.

Another thing I think is a bit off base is the notion that a great run blocking player is automatically a liability in pass protection. These are NFL quality players we're talking here, I'd have to assume they wouldn't be projected to start, let alone be drafted if there were such a fatal flaw in their game.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Havenstein started like 42 straight games in college and Brown like 41 straight games , I'm not worried about either one of them

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Plenty of rookie linemen make an impact in their rookie years. The Pouncey's both made the pro bowl, Kalil, Zach Martin. I'm sure there's more, but I found those with a quick Google search.

Another thing I think is a bit off base is the notion that a great run blocking player is automatically a liability in pass protection. These are NFL quality players we're talking here, I'd have to assume they wouldn't be projected to start, let alone be drafted if there were such a fatal flaw in their game.

I think that perception come from the fact that they seem to be younger versions of Barksdale. Great in the run game, solid on assignments, durable and dependable, but limited athletic upside could hurt against speed rushers. What they saw in college is nothing like what they'll face. Good news is they train against Long and Hayes so it won't be lack of opportunities to learn if they don't work out.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I echo most everything previously posted here. Obviously, Fish and Snead targeted a certain type of OL. (Durable, Smart, Leaders...)

As several people have posted in other threads - 'we drafted players a round too soon.' Well, if that's he case, then this will probably be the last draft for the current administration.

I'm thinking we got exactly what Snish wanted, so let's plug'em in and kick some ass.

jdhommert

Rookie
My only/big concern is who plays center?? Would have loved to get a Shaq Mason or someone... Belichick said he thinks mason is the best run blocker in the draft.

Barnes? Jones?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Havenstein and Donnal come from the two best colleges in the country when it comes to being trained to play OLine. Their learning curve will be no concern.

I don't know about Brown or Wichman. If Brown moves to Guard though the transition there is not as difficult.

I think they will be fine and many on this board over played the idea that starting rookies on the line is a mistake. Many teams do it every year.
Dallas started two last yr, no?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
In today's NFL you need to coach up rookies to be ready to play.

The good news with these rookies, as others have pointed out; they come to the Rams with good starting point - experience. That should get them on the field quicker.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It's a mistake to compare any of these kids to Greg Robinson. While more physically talented, he entered the league as a raw redshirt sophomore with about 25 starts under his belt in an offense that basicially only ran about 4-6 different plays.

And then due to circumstances they tried to teach him two different positions prior to the season in a more complex NFL offense.

Havenstein started 42 of 52 games played. Brown started 40 of 48 games. And Cody Wichman started 50 games. Donnell has less experience as a starter, but he played 4 years under one of the best OLine teachers in the business with a strong NFL background.

Sure, they are all rookies. But, these guys shouldn't have to learn some things that Robinson was probably still learning as a rookie. And a simplified offense with a focus upon running the football makes the learning curve that much easier for all of these guys.

Last edited:

Speedr@m

Rookie
I echo most everything previously posted here. Obviously, Fish and Snead targeted a certain type of OL. (Durable, Smart, Leaders...)

As several people have posted in other threads - 'we drafted players a round too soon.' Well, if that's he case, then this will probably be the last draft for the current administration.

I'm thinking we got exactly what Snish wanted, so let's plug'em in and kick some ass.
Yeah I think you're right. Fisher is a very confident dude. Imo too confident but nonetheless he drafted those bodies and he believes that coach Broudreau will coach them up. Obviously the Rams felt real comfortable at other positions. This is a push to get this offense over the hump.

The question is did they get it right? We have to wait and see on that

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
One more thing to consider, we still have 'Post Draft' FA's/Cuts to look at to add 'Vets to the O-Line!(y):D

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Sure thing the OL is inexperienced, mostly on the right side. But here's the thing, at least one (Rob Havenstein) will start, and the other two might. At the very least Jamon Brown and Andrew Donnal will provide depth.

Before the draft they barely had starters. Now they have starters and depth.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If you're expecting to win now, I can see the concern. Especially if they don't pick up Barksdale or Blalock. The center and right side of the line will have rookies or guys who haven't played much. I think the direction they're going is to make the line a good one down the road. But maybe not so much this season. There has to be some growing pains with the inexperience we're gonna have.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do think the Rams sign a vet to start - either at RT or at LG - on a one year contract so the player can rebuild value. But the players they drafted are nearly ready for their chance at NFL starting, so I'm not panicked.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My only/big concern is who plays center?? Would have loved to get a Shaq Mason or someone... Belichick said he thinks mason is the best run blocker in the draft.

Barnes? Jones?

Rhaney. That's my guy who starts at center.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing not mentioned, is Gurley. Gurley's projected ability to be not just a good RB, but a once in a decade RB, is that the guy has the ability to shed tacklers..This will help everybody on the Oline look better. Imagine if Gurley gets 6 yards average per carry, the opposing defense will be going crazy to stop him..Hello Nick Foles to Kenny Briit!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Snead/Fisher took a big hit (FIVE) over this past yr on the OL. 3 Gone due to time age injury demise of starters OLT Jake Long/ORG Davin Joseph & OC Scott Wells then 2 gone due to UFA defections of starting ORT Barksdale & top reserve OL'er Mike Person. They were able to deal with one of the above during the season due to the drafting of OLT Robinson. That leaves the replacements of the other four gone OL'ers .

#1-They have now filled the ORT post with signed veteran with a dozen or more starts in right side OL'er Garrett Reynolds to start @ ORT. (Notice that Harvey vs Garrett twin like look? GR 6-7/305 to HD 6-6/306) & then proclaimed that 2nd rd pick Havenstein is ready to start now. You could add in 6-8 340 pound 26 yr old Steven Baker too .

#2-In replacing Wells @ OC post ..they have invested 2 draft selections (2013 & 2014) in Barrett Jones & Demetrius Rhaney plus signed (Boudreau's 4 yrs of grooming) veteran Tim Barnes who has 45 NFL games under his belt & finished 7 games as the Ram starting center. This youth but talented trio has been through the Rams TC & preseason before so this is not new to them.This post is well covered in spite of this forums worrying.

#3-In replacing starting OG post veteran Davin Joseph the Rams have 26 yr old left side OL'er Brandon Washington who has been under Boudreau schooling now since 2012. They also have ORG Travis Bond the massive 6-6 330 pound 24 yr old. Bond has three complete TC's & pre seasons under his belt after being drafted by the Vikings, Panthers & last yr with the Rams. Bond also was signed the entire 2014 season with the Rams Practice Squad. So Bond is well known to Boudreau. Bond was the last OL releases before the beginning of the season. So the above two along with drafted OG's Jamon Brown 3rd rd.,Andrew Donnal 4th rd.& Cody Wichmann in the 6th round sure looks thick to me.

#4-In finding a replacement of last yrs top reserve Mike Person who was the first reliever @ OLG/OLT & 3rd string center (could play all five OL positions), they already have his replacement on the roster...Barrett Jones. Barrett has been around since 2013 & if healthy can out-think & defeat any opponent or competition.

To summarize the above the Rams have enough decent OL'ers to go into this season without starting any rookies if that was even a concern to me. Even looks two deep @ center & both OG post before having to dip into our rookie supply center.

OLT>Robinson/*Jones/*Saffold
OLG>*Jones/Washington/*Brown/*Donnal
OC>Barnes/Rhaney/*Jones
ORG>*Saffold/Bond/Wichmann/*Brown/*Donnal
ORT>Reynolds/Havenstein/*Donnal/Baker