I generally like living in Arizona, but . . .

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Really most small businesses get hit pretty bad. And it is not just taxes, regulations and mandates, but hidden fees.

Then the consumer gets upset with the business owner, when they have to raise their prices, and stops going out as much.

Or in our case, the remodeling industry goes underground with guys willing to do the work without permits. More laws create more underground economy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wish I could move to Arizona after I retire but I couldn't stand the summer. I need to move out of Cali but I don't kmow where. I love Cali but I hate it's political views. My dream would be to move back to Sinaloa Mexico but it's super hot over there and I don't mean the weather. :oops:

Not trying to attract a crowd but you should look into SWFL. It's pretty awesome here and the cost of living is very much like the midwest.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wish I could move to Arizona after I retire but I couldn't stand the summer. I need to move out of Cali but I don't kmow where. I love Cali but I hate it's political views. My dream would be to move back to Sinaloa Mexico but it's super hot over there and I don't mean the weather. :oops:

You could always move up in the mountains here - Flagstaff say. That's if you don't mind fairly small towns, at least compared to much of California and to the Phoenix area

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
You could always move up in the mountains here - Flagstaff say. That's if you don't mind fairly small towns, at least compared to much of California and to the Phoenix area

Do you live in Flagstaff? My first wife went to NAU - been there quite a bit, in fact we were married in Sedona. That was 40 years ago tho.
Always liked it up there. Is it expensive, housing/retirement wise?

July and August, at one time in my life were my favorite months. Now - not so much, 'monsoon' season's right around the corner.. I do love the weather the rest of the year though.
How bad (relative term) is the cold/snow?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you live in Flagstaff? My first wife went to NAU - been there quite a bit, in fact we were married in Sedona. That was 40 years ago tho.
Always liked it up there. Is it expensive, housing/retirement wise?

July and August, at one time in my life were my favorite months. Now - not so much, 'monsoon' season's right around the corner.. I do love the weather the rest of the year though.
How bad (relative term) is the cold/snow?

Nope, live in the suburbs of Phoenix. Just know it's pretty up there, and cooler, and smaller, with all that entails. Although NAU being there I'm sure helps the cultural stuff.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Thinkin' about it. If I stay here, I'm selling my Glide - if I move to Flagstaff, (or anywhere really, where it's not 200 FUCKING MILES, regardless of direction, till you see anything different), probably keep it. Not into trailering.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yeah this is the popular theory but what folks don't consider is that this kind of heat (dry 115+ type heat) will literally kill cars. They're a common sight here...like carcasses on the side of the road and freeway. Then consider that everything outside is too hot touch, including your car and everything in it. You can't leave anything in your car ever. Walking in a parking lot for even just 100 feet or so is like being in an oven and you can't breathe. Your kids can't play outside unless they're wet in a pool.

The dryer, extreme heat generally runs from June until mid-July. Then the monsoons come and it isn't a dry heat anymore(contrary to belief). The moisture builds up to the East (of Phoenix) all day long, and the humidity climbs....yet most of the time there is no pay off with rain. We usually get punched in the face with huge dust storms instead. Giant walls of dirt with humidity and 110+ degree heat.

Humans weren't meant to live in the Southwestern desert in summertime. Same thing as Antarctica...just different extremes.

I've spent some time in SW Missouri(lived there for 1 year) and Western Tennessee(have family there) during the summer and the 85-90 degree heat and extreme humidity is stifling...i get that, but you really haven't experienced an extreme summer unless you've lived in parts of Arizona, New Mexico, California and Nevada.

I've lived here 45 years. My kids are teenagers now. I'm gettin the freak outta here soon. I want seasons and some weather variety.
Grass is always greener ... or sandier or dustier. I'm so freaking done with the winters in St. Louis, and the summers are just too short for my taste.

I understand where you're coming from, but I've been here all my life, freak winter. Especially this windy, humid, snowy, slushy, icy shit storm we get every year. True story, I think my family actually enjoys winter better in Minnesota.

I don't care if I'm broke and a raggedy hobo, when I retire, I'm going south. We all have to check out, and when I do, I don't want to be cold.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I met someone at a yard sale who was permanently moving to their winter home in the mountains in New Mexico. She said it never gets too hot or too cold. She said the Santa an as winds are wonderful. I can't recall the exact location, sorry.