Hundley declines Senior Bowl invitation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
2015 NFL Draft: UCLA QB Brett Hundley declines Senior Bowl invitation
By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

January 14, 2015 7:01 pm ET

UCLA redshirt junior quarterback Brett Hundley has declined an invitation to the Senior Bowl and will not participate in the scouting all-star game, according to a source. The 2015 Senior Bowl is scheduled for January 24 in Mobile, Ala. at Ladd-Peebles Stadium.

Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota also received an invitation, but hasn't decided if he will play or not. If he declines, the final spot at the quarterback position will likely go to Auburn's Nick Marshall, who was expected to be in Mobile, but possibly at another position.

Declining the invitation isn't an unprecedented move for Hundley as several prospects, especially quarterbacks, have turned down the chance to play in the all-star event over the years, choosing instead to prepare for the NFL Combine or the school pro day. With all 32 teams in Mobile, it can be risky if a player struggles in an unfamiliar environment, but it's also a great opportunity to show off a player's skill-set. Buffalo Bills quarterback E.J. Manuel helped himself with a positive week and was eventually drafted in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

According to NFLDraftScout.com, Hundley is currently rated as the No. 3 quarterback prospect for the 2015 NFL Draft, behind Mariota and Florida State's Jameis Winston. He has first round tools and is the favorite to be the third signal caller drafted after the two Heisman winners, but his inconsistencies on tape are why Hundley isn't a lock first round pick going into the draft process.

If Hundley performs well at the NFL Combine and his pro day, then his decision to skip the Senior Bowl will likely be forgotten. But if he struggles over the next few months, then deciding to avoid Mobile will prove to be a missed opportunity for the talented passer. All-star settings are set up for prospects with immense physical gifts to shine, like Arizona Cardinals quarterback Logan Thomas last year, which is why some see Hundley passing on the Senior Bowl as a head-scratching decision.

Hundley and Mariota are only juniors, but Senior Bowl executive director and former NFL general manager Phil Savage instituted a new rule that allows fourth-year juniors who are already graduated to participate in the annual event, normally reserved for seniors. Auburn wide receiver Sammie Coates and Penn State offensive tackle Donovan Smith both declared early for the 2015 NFL Draft and are taking advantage of that opportunity this year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...brett-hundley-declines-senior-bowl-invitation

tahoe

Pro Bowler
He doesnt want to put more bad game film out there and just bank on his athleticism not his ability to play football

fearsomefour

Legend
He has not looked good when I have watched him this year....that has only been a couple of games. It is hard to know everything that goes into a single game performance watching a game on tv, but, to me I am not sold on him as a high first rounder.
There is not a QB in this draft I would take at 10.

Rams0307

Bad decision by Hundley. A QB that's not willing to compete at the Senior Bowl after a mediocre year? I wouldn't touch this guy in the top 3 rounds. He doesn't impress me at all.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bad decision by Hundley. A QB that's not willing to compete at the Senior Bowl after a mediocre year? I wouldn't touch this guy in the top 3 rounds. He doesn't impress me at all.

This much is true, however, I'm betting that Hundley scores high on the wonderlic and does very well at the combine and his individual workout which will thrust him back up into the upper tier of this mediocre year of signal callers.

paceram

Pro Bowler
This much is true, however, I'm betting that Hundley scores high on the wonderlic and does very well at the combine and his individual workout which will thrust him back up into the upper tier of this mediocre year of signal callers.

What's the highest you think Hundley could possibly go in the Draft?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What's the highest you think Hundley could possibly go in the Draft?

2nd or third round some team will draft him because of his athletic skills alone and upside. He would be best served being drafting by a team like Dallas or New Orleans for example then he could sit for a while and be a great understudy.