How's The Offseason Shaping Up For Your Team?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I think we all know about the Cardinals, people are already calling for the Cardinals to run away with the division. So what's happening with your teams, and if you're a fellow Cards fan how do you expect things to pan out and are there any moves you think we still need?

I think we all know about the Cardinals, people are already calling for the Cardinals to run away with the division. So what's happening with your teams, and if you're a fellow Cards fan how do you expect things to pan out and are there any moves you think we still need?

I tend to only keep up to date during the season, what have been our main moves? I know we lost Beltran, and traded away Freese, have we brought any big players in or is it just a case of the best young roster in MLB getting older/more experienced?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I tend to only keep up to date during the season, what have been our main moves? I know we lost Beltran, and traded away Freese, have we brought any big players in or is it just a case of the best young roster in MLB getting older/more experienced?
It's partly that. Also we have the super prospect, Taveras coming up (most likely). We really plugged in some pretty good players at positions that were holes on the team last year (SS, CF). The teams defense is better. The Cards pitching staff should actually be better. All in all, it's the best Cards team from starters to depth that I can even remember. Better than the World Series winning teams in 2006 and 2011

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Partly that, partly moves that barring some freak occurrences should make us ten times better, signed Jhonny Peralta at SS to replace Kozmanaut and traded Freese off to get Bourjos, who looks to battle it out with Jay for CF(I imagine he'll win, I doubt there's anybody who can top Jay's lack of production in the playoffs.)

Sum1

Hall of Fame
As stout as the Cards look at almost every position the things that I think might be a couple bumps in the road are depth at 3rd base...obviously if Carpenter is healthy he provides solid defense, high OBP, and with a little different approach he could have a little more pop. But if he gets hurt are we ready to roll with Descalso or Kozma at 3rd?

And although the bullpen was unbelievable last season with the youth, injuries, and disapoointments from veterans...I still worry that one or two of last years rookies will inevitably have a set back...I could see someone like Maness or Siegrist struggling.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
As stout as the Cards look at almost every position the things that I think might be a couple bumps in the road are depth at 3rd base...obviously if Carpenter is healthy he provides solid defense, high OBP, and with a little different approach he could have a little more pop. But if he gets hurt are we ready to roll with Descalso or Kozma at 3rd?

And although the bullpen was unbelievable last season with the youth, injuries, and disapoointments from veterans...I still worry that one or two of last years rookies will inevitably have a set back...I could see someone like Maness or Siegrist struggling.

I agree about the depth at 3rd. The loss of Carp would be huge in the field and more so in the lineup. Loss of Garcia is big and would doom many teams. He is one of the better lefty starters in the NL. But the Cards will just plug Kelly in and move on. As long as Waino and Lynn stay healthy and eat innings they can get by losing a couple more starters and still win 90 games.
Cards have a closer and 2 spares, really the bullpen with C. Mart, Motte and Rosenthal is about as bulletproof as they come.

Screen_Shot_2014_03_08_at_14_27_03_1.png

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The Pirates look pretty stout down in the Grapefruit league. I feel good about their chances to return to the postseason.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I agree about the depth at 3rd. The loss of Carp would be huge in the field and more so in the lineup. Loss of Garcia is big and would doom many teams. He is one of the better lefty starters in the NL. But the Cards will just plug Kelly in and move on. As long as Waino and Lynn stay healthy and eat innings they can get by losing a couple more starters and still win 90 games.
Cards have a closer and 2 spares, really the bullpen with C. Mart, Motte and Rosenthal is about as bulletproof as they come.
I hear you about depth on the infield. I do think with the signing of this Aledmys kid that it can really add some needed depth. I know he'll probably start in AA or AAA to get reacclimated to playing ball again, but I think by midseason he could come up to the big leagues if needed. If Carp goes down, heaven forbid, then Peraulta could move to third and Aledmys could take over SS

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I hear you about depth on the infield. I do think with the signing of this Aledmys kid that it can really add some needed depth. I know he'll probably start in AA or AAA to get reacclimated to playing ball again, but I think by midseason he could come up to the big leagues if needed. If Carp goes down, heaven forbid, then Peraulta could move to third and Aledmys could take over SS
This is going to get interesting about middle of the season.
After paying Petrala all that cash, then go out and sign Diaz to a contract of about the same length might seem a little nuts. But it could end up Carp at second, Jhonny P. at 3rd and Diaz at SS. Best 8 on the field. Kozma is gone more or less and Wong??

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
With the way Wong's hitting in Spring Training, I'd rather see Peralta at short, Carp at third, and Wong at second. And when Tavares comes up...