How warm is Jeff Fisher's seat?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How safe is Jeff Fisher?

• Very safe. Franchise coach.

Votes: 79 37.8%
  • Safe. Likely for the rest of his contract.

Votes: 114 54.5%
  • Warm. If 7 or less wins needs to make coaching changes.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Hot. If 7 or less wins could be fired.

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I believe Martz had the respect of his early players, but those weak willed softies he drafted starting in 2002 I don't think were accustomed to his harsh coaching style.

Cutler doesn't send him birthday cards for sure LOL.

Well consider those three are now veterans and had time to develop. I would put Brockers, Olgletree, Quick, Bailey, Robinson, Austin, McDonald, Stacey in the group you just mentioned just to name a few. And you might even be able to put in Donald, Joyner, Gains, and Alexander.

In this hypothetical scenario we've just gone 7-9, the players Fisher added have had three years to develop (same amount of time it took Quinn to get into the best defensive player in football conversation), if a hand full of the ones you mentioned ever got into the JL55, Long category we haven't just gone 7-9 imo.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Some people need to have some realistic standards for Fisher. He took over a 2-14 team that was void of talent in several positions and had been plagued with, not with mediocrity, but losing seasons. He instantly took us back to relevance with much the same team that Spags failed with. The following year, we are a borderline playoff team that loses our QB halfway through the season and plays in one of the toughest divisions in football history, yet we still finish 7-9.

You examine his track record and say his 0.532 win ratio isn't sufficient? Then what was Dick Vermeil's 0.524? What was Bill Belichick's 0.450 when he took over for New England?

Over the past couple years, Fisher has brought in more young talent through the draft than the past decade combined but he has no business in the draft room or front office?

He is responsible for the loss of Bradford because he played him too soon? Would you have sat Bradford through preseason and hoped he would just come into the offense clicking? Would you have sat him a portion of the season and had Hill play anyway? He made the right gamble whether it worked out or not. He brought in Hill for security and he gives us a viable chance to succeed.

He is too loyal to his players? Well sometimes I wish we were loyal to Kurt Warner.

He has the experience and demands respect. Just remember, we chose him but he also chose us. He could be with the Dolphins right now and we could be stuck with Joe Philbin or Greg Schiano. I'm thankful for the coach we have and I'm supporting him the whole way.
200.gif

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Grooming a QB under Bradford, Hill, or whoever sounds like a golden plan to me. I don't think Davis is that guy, though he has gotten better. Gilbert has the tools of a franchise passer.

stlramscar

UDFA
Martz included in with Linehan and Spags? Really? Don't remember Martz having purposemany problems with his players, just the front office and fellow coaches.
i guess you dont remember the 2000 season following the SB how Todd Lyte Kevin Carter and others on the defense played bad on purpose cause they didnt like Martz. and the next season was when he brought in Lovie.

He isn't going anywhere. Plus if you are going to replace him who is going to take his spot?

My top 3 candidates:

Kevin Sumlin (pretty damn good coaching record, always had excellent Os, gets a lot out of young QBs if we choose to go that route, experience of working with Sam if we choose to go that route).
Dan Quinn (fairly young, had excellent Ds everywhere he's gone, inside knowledge of the Seahawks)
James Franklin (depends how he does this year at Penn State, but built Vanderbilt up from nothing (back to back 2 win seasons) to their first 9 win season since 1915 in back to back years)

I'm sure there are other coaches qualified for the position and if they'd have interest in the Rams is questionable.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
My top 3 candidates:

Kevin Sumlin (pretty damn good coaching record, always had excellent Os, gets a lot out of young QBs if we choose to go that route, experience of working with Sam if we choose to go that route).
Dan Quinn (fairly young, had excellent Ds everywhere he's gone, inside knowledge of the Seahawks)
James Franklin (depends how he does this year at Penn State, but built Vanderbilt up from nothing (back to back 2 win seasons) to their first 9 win season since 1915 in back to back years)

I'm sure there are other coaches qualified for the position and if they'd have interest in the Rams is questionable.

I'm sure that loads of coaches would love to come to STL with the way the roster has been reclaimed, and it was a reclamation project.

But SK doesn't have a coaching carousel at any of his franchises. He gets g uy and keeps them and lets them do what they do, It'll take probably three more years of 7-8 to 9-7 before he would termite Fisher.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
i guess you dont remember the 2000 season following the SB how Todd Lyte Kevin Carter and others on the defense played bad on purpose cause they didnt like Martz. and the next season was when he brought in Lovie.
No i don't remember that.
tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
OK, I wasn't the biggest Jeff Fisher proponent in 2012 when he got hired (I wanted to see a coordinator), but anyone thinking he should be on the "hot seat" if they go 7-9 again is insane.

You can't keep changing coaches after every 3 or 4 years; otherwise you'll end up like the Browns or Raiders.

Stay out of the draft room, really? People still harp on Rok Watkins and Isaiah Pead, when he got Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Tavon Austin, Alec Ogletree, TJ McDonald, Stedman Bailey? Chris Givens is a decent WR as well, plus an efficient kicker? Do we need to bring up the 2006-2009 drafts again as comparison?

Then he goes and plays with a team without the starting QB and rotating OL and still are competitive week in and out, beating playoff teams? Only 1 possession against 2 other teams (Titans/shitchickens)?

As I said before, I wasn't the biggest Jeff Fisher fan when he got hired. But he has won me over (not like it matters) as a coach who gets it. You can't tell if the team wins 35-10 or loses 35-10 on any given week.

Anyone wanting him to be pressured or even gone will be taking him for granted.

stlramscar

UDFA
No i don't remember that.
tom-delonge-wtf1.gif
oh you dont?than how else do you explain a defense that was 5th in the league the year before to one of the worst in 1 season? how do you go from sugar to shit in 1'season with the same players?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
oh you dont?than how else do you explain a defense that was 5th in the league the year before to one of the worst in 1 season? how do you go from sugar to crap in 1'season with the same players?
I can't say for sure, but i have a few theories that don't involve players tanking.
-Vermeil gone
-New HC that didn't care much about defense
-Complacency after winning a SB

I'm sure that loads of coaches would love to come to STL with the way the roster has been reclaimed, and it was a reclamation project.

But SK doesn't have a coaching carousel at any of his franchises. He gets g uy and keeps them and lets them do what they do, It'll take probably three more years of 7-8 to 9-7 before he would termite Fisher.

And he's won what as a result?

One FA Cup at Arsenal, although the way soccer is structured Arsenal aren't really a fair example.
1 MLS Championship.
0 NBA Championships.
0 NHL Championships.

Maybe his system of choosing coaches doesn't work?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And he's won what as a result?

One FA Cup at Arsenal, although the way soccer is structured Arsenal aren't really a fair example.
1 MLS Championship.
0 NBA Championships.
0 NHL Championships.

Maybe his system of choosing coaches doesn't work?

Actually he has a title in the NHL on his resume.

That said if we look at the guys who have won titles, or gotten to a title game it is rarely someone with 2 or 3 years with a team. I can only think of a few guys like that.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
In this hypothetical scenario we've just gone 7-9, the players Fisher added have had three years to develop
You are incorrect.
Brockers 2 years, Olgeltree 1 year, Bailey1/2 year, Austin 1 year, Robinson 0 years, McDonald 1/2 year, Stacy 1/2 year.

You are incorrect.
Brockers 2 years, Olgeltree 1 year, Bailey1/2 year, Austin 1 year, Robinson 0 years, McDonald 1/2 year, Stacy 1/2 year.

In this hypothetical world where they've gone 7-9 in year 3 Brockers, Quick, Jenkins, Johnson have had three years. If 2 of those become as good as Long or Laurinaits or even Quinn were in year three, then we shouldn't be going 7-9. I don't see where I was incorrect. Unclear? Maybe.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
Well consider those three are now veterans and had time to develop. I would put Brockers, Olgletree, Quick, Bailey, Robinson, Austin, McDonald, Stacey in the group you just mentioned just to name a few. And you might even be able to put in Donald, Joyner, Gains, and Alexander.
Don't leave out Hekker! There's a pro bowl player for Fish.

V3

Hall of Fame
Did Buffalo actually make that offer to the Rams? I know one would assume that since they made that offer to the Browns that the Rams might have gotten the same offer, but do we really know? It could be that they got desperate and upped their offer to the Browns while they were on the clock.
I read an article at the time of the draft that said they did. It could have been wrong but if Buf was willing to offer that trade package to a lower team, why wouldn't they be willing to offer the same deal to a higher drafting team(It would ensure their pick as well)? It's not like the money difference is that big of a deal anymore since they fixed the rookie contracts.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Fire fisher and i'm done. Seriously thats why I see a lot of these other cranchises situations as hopeless-no leadership. Its night And day between fisher and what we've had here the last ten years. He gives us hope. I believe this season will validate coach fisher and the players he has brought in.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He's ridiculously safe. You take this team that was absolute shit and turn it into a franchise ready for the playoffs with the addition of a good QB you don't get rid of them, the bucs did that and all know the story.