How to lose weight without working out?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm only 22 years old, so you might just say suck it up and workout. But I have sustained a few brutal injuries in my life. I have a bad shoulder and a bad knee but I won't go into too much detail. My question is, does anyone have a non workout routine that they do to lose weight?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wish I did, been wondering that for years.

Yeah I really don't wanna turn into a big fat guy. And I am in just too much pain to be lifting weights and all that. I just wish there was a way to lose weight without it. Like obviously you can eat well. But that only goes so far.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yeah I really don't wanna turn into a big fat guy. And I am in just too much pain to be lifting weights and all that. I just wish there was a way to lose weight without it. Like obviously you can eat well. But that only goes so far.
Liposuction lol. Idk. Hopefully someone here does know.

Debacled

Starter
Roughly 80% of weight loss comes from diet alone. Simply eat less/better (less is often easier than better)

Swimming is excellent if you are looking for an exercise that is easy on the body, great for those with injuries (such as yourself) or older individuals that struggle with higher impact modalities.

Exercise can speed up or assist the process (by increasing the caloric deficit) , but thats about it. Exercise is more important when it comes to the health benefits and maintenance of weight loss.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Roughly 80% of weight loss comes from diet alone. Simply eat less/better (less is often easier than better)

Swimming is excellent if you are looking for an exercise that is easy on the body, great for those with injuries (such as yourself) or older individuals that struggle with higher impact modalities.

Exercise can speed up or assist the process (by increasing the caloric deficit) , but thats about it. Exercise is more important when it comes to the health benefits and maintenance of weight loss.

Swimming is a great idea but the only thing I know how to do is doggy paddle(as sad as that is to admit) but the thing is, I drive a truck all day so it's hard to not wanna just stop for food. I guess I really don't know how to eat healthy and what to look for when shopping.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Swimming is a great idea but the only thing I know how to do is doggy paddle(as sad as that is to admit) but the thing is, I drive a truck all day so it's hard to not wanna just stop for food. I guess I really don't know how to eat healthy and what to look for when shopping.
Low calorie, high protein, high fiber...lots of water. Start there.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I have some lousy advice. Take up chain smoking or dipping because tobacco reduces your appetite.

iced

use lighter weight to help build up the core muscles around the particular injured areas as well.. I've also had shoulder surgery twice, and I feel your pain.... best cure is to keep strengthening it, know when to take it easy, and hot tub is great for it... if its painful, ice it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Eat less, eat healthier, cut out most sugars, sodas, etc.

Swimming is good, I also find ice skating (although not hockey anymore, just skating) to be good for me, it's usually not too hard on my leg, and the cool ice keeps you from overheating for the most part.. I've also had some pretty bad injuries, and running can be really hard on me sometimes. Riding a bike is pretty good too, not too hard on joints.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
*No sodas. Drink lots of water and teas.
*Control your food portions. (that extra spoonful or plate of seconds isn't necessary)
*NO junk food or processed food. (No matter how convenient)
*Avoid late night snacking.
*Cardio. If lifting weights and heavy workouts are going to be an issue, just commit a half hour or so to walking/jogging/running every other day. Increase the workload as your body adjusts.
*No beer

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Eat smaller portions and eat with patience. When you know you have eaten enough but still feel hungry walk away from the table and do something you can get into, like read ROD! The hunger will go away after about fifteen minutes.

There is a passive exercise that you may be able to do called Dynamic Tension. There is a book by that title. Martial artists use it when they cannot get to a gym.

At first it is awkward because it is doing motions while tensing your muscles. After a few weeks you can really feel your strength building. I used to work up a great sweat with that workout and every motion was done very slowly. I got ripped with Dynamic Tension. If there are any moves you cannot do just skip them.

Total gyms are good passive machines that you can start out with a low incline and gradually raise it as you progress.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Eat less, eat healthier, cut out most sugars, sodas, etc.

Swimming is good, I also find ice skating (although not hockey anymore, just skating) to be good for me, it's usually not too hard on my leg, and the cool ice keeps you from overheating for the most part.

And I am sure you look great in a tutu!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
This is why I asked here first. You guys are the best thanks. I definitely have a problem with soda. Without it I'm usually tired by 230. But I've gone the last two days without it(woopdeefuckingdoo right?) so that's been a good thing so far. I will try what you guys suggested and see how it goes. It sucks that like food so much lol

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
1. No soda
2. No chips, cookies
3. Don't eat after 8:00 at night
4. Take your body weight and divide it by 2. That's the # of ounces of water you drink a day.
5. Get at least 7 hours of sleep a night.
6. Cut out as many carbs as you can.
7. Since you don't want to exercise a lot - just walk a lot.
8. Eat breakfast - eat speeds up your metabolism for the rest of the day.

These are pretty easy things to get healthy without doing much working out - and you will lose weight. You could also take a supplement like Man Core which has a fat burner... that helps too. All natural. It heats up your body and you'll sweat, get runny noses and the shakes - but you'll lose weight!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
This is why I asked here first. You guys are the best thanks. I definitely have a problem with soda. Without it I'm usually tired by 230. But I've gone the last two days without it(woopdeefuckingdoo right?) so that's been a good thing so far. I will try what you guys suggested and see how it goes. It sucks that like food so much lol
Take up drinking black coffee instead of soda. Or iced tea without sweetener. I'd stay away from sodium as much as possible and I'd say you can use sweet n low in iced tea but there is a lot of belief out there that artificial sweeteners make you crave real sugar/carbs.

bluecoconuts

Legend

How bad is your shoulder/knee that you can't really work out? Did you blow them out and not heal properly or what?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
How bad is your shoulder/knee that you can't really work out? Did you blow them out and not heal properly or what?

My shoulder is pretty much bone to bone now. I tore my labrum and it never really healed properly and I tore my ACL twice but I never got surgery cause I couldn't miss school and work.

Debacled

Starter
There are low cal/no cal soda substitutes out there. Advocare for example has a drink they call "spark" which is what I like to call a mild pre-workout (replaces coffee pretty easily). Gives you alertness and energy without the jitters you would get from a full blown pre-workout or energy drink. Little word of warning, like anything that makes you feel better you will feel like crap and have withdrawls if/when you stop using it.

Lots of sound advice here. Would definitely recommend increasing protein and fiber (both act as appetite suppressants).

With the ACL, full tear or partial?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
There are low cal/no cal soda substitutes out there. Advocare for example has a drink they call "spark" which is what I like to call a mild pre-workout (replaces coffee pretty easily). Gives you alertness and energy without the jitters you would get from a full blown pre-workout or energy drink. Little word of warning, like anything that makes you feel better you will feel like crap and have withdrawls if/when you stop using it.

Lots of sound advice here. Would definitely recommend increasing protein and fiber (both act as appetite suppressants).

With the ACL, full tear or partial?

First time partial then the second time it was the whole thing. I'll tell ya, it's the most pain you will ever feel in your life. The toughest of the tough couldn't endure that shit.

But yeah I will definietely be trying some of these things. Thanks again.