How good is LB Akeem Ayers?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Don't know much about him but is he really that much better than Jo-Lonn Dunbar (He sure seems to be quite a bit bigger!)? Is he more of a pass rushing LB or can he drop back as well? I am guessing he and Dunbar will see plenty of action for the Rams Defense this coming season! I can't wait to see this Rams Defense in action this season!

RamzFanz

Damnit
He's a solid pass rusher. His addition makes the pass rush even scarier. It's going to be the best in the NFL I would bet.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IDK the answer to the question, I'll have to wait and see. But I know this Dunbar is of great value in the locker room.
When he was suspended, the D wasn't playing up to par. When he came back he gave the D a spark, and they kicked it up a notch! JMHO
May the best man Win!!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Immediate upgrade. Better than Dunbar in every aspect of the game. Very good pass rusher, solid against the run and capable in coverage. Whether he's dropping back into coverage or lining up as a DE, he can do it all. Brings a lot of versatility to our front. I like him a lot. Did a remarkable job filling in for Chandler Jones last season for the Patriots.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
He can do anything Dunbar can do only better our front seven is loaded and will be one if not the best in the league.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ayers is an upgrade but I don't think he is a huge upgrade. His main standout skill is his ability to rush the QB. The rest is alright but Fisher is obsessed with getting up the field.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I liked Ayers coming out, but thought he would be drafted out of our range. As the draft approached his stock dropped due to concerns over whether he could process the game at the next level. That is interesting, because his best work came in NE, when he wasn't asked to read and react.

I think we need to see if he is as good as Dunbar vs the run, but Ayers offers plenty of value and was most definitely a 1st round talent coming out who was predicted to go mid 1st. He was snapped up at the top of the 2nd and played on a poor team, where they did not ask him to play to his strengths. His early career was also hampered by injury.

Pros

To me, he is what you want vs the pass. He can rush, with very good bend, strength and speed for his size. He can face off with TEs and jam them at the line and can also be asked to drop back into zone coverage, where he has playmaking ability, as a hitter and good hands if the ball comes into his area.

Cons

I wouldn't ask him to play man coverage vs elite TEs in space. He would get torched in our division. That said, he can stay in on 3rd downs, as I pointed out above. Has he improved his anchor vs the run? That is something to keep an eye on, because he would be a huge addition if he is even better than Dunbar in this department.

His scouting report is copied below....

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/akeem-ayers?id=2495491

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here's what I like; he's 25 with 5 seasons of experience.

Granted, he turns 26 next month... but you get the point. This is still a young player.

Alan

Legend
ljramsfan wondering:
Still i dont see why all the hate on Dunbar
Much of the negativity towards him is coming from me and I don't hate him at all. I just don't think he's a starting caliber LB. I liked him his first year in 2012 but he's gotten progressively worse every year since then. Plus he's 30 years old and has had only one good year.

Stats as a Ram in green:
2008 - 17 tackles and 0 sacks in 15 games
2009 - 13 tackles and 0 sacks in 9 games
2010 - 32 tackles and 1 sacks in 13 games
2011 - 57 tackles and 1 sacks in 16 games
2012 - 90 tackles and 4.5 sacks in 16 games
2013 - 33 tackles and 0 sacks in 12 games
3014 - 29 tackles and 0 sacks in 15 games

Yes, I'm aware that he played a more limited role in Williams 12 safety scheme :)LOL:) but I'm taking that into consideration and some thought should be given as to why Williams went that route. Might it have been Dunbar's deficiencies that brought it on?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/jolonn-dunbar/
JoLonn Dunbar signed a 2 year, $2,005,498 contract with the St. Louis Rams, including $128,821 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,002,749. In 2015, Dunbar will earn a base salary of $999,999, a roster bonus of $125,521 and a incentive bonus of $220,022. Dunbar has a cap hit of $1,345,542.

The Rams ability to sign him for that amount a money tells you what the rest of the league thinks about his abilities. The minimum salary for a player with 7 years experience is $870,000.
https://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-for-2015-and-the-veteran-cap-benefit-rule/

I see Ayers as a substantial upgrade in every aspect. But being better than Dunbar is a low bar to jump over. I agree with what @TheTackle said about him.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I think Ayers is an upgrade. I don't see any negativity in the deal at all. The Rams were able to resign Dunbar on the cheap. Ayers is another piece for Williams to mix and match. I don't think of it so much as a "starter" or back up. I think both will see the field in different D sets. Signing Ayers helps provide something the Rams have lacked in a long time....some decent depth at LB.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's what I like; he's 25 with 5 seasons of experience.

Granted, he turns 26 next month... but you get the point. This is still a young player.
I'm with you!

Can't see how he's not an upgrade over Dunbar... younger, better production...

I wondered aloud whether Dunbar relied on the PEDs to raise his game.

When he came back, he definitely was not the same player to me.

He's getting older and, clearly, Williams devised another way to not rely on him as much as the Rams used to. That says everything I need to know about Dunbar now and in the future.

No hate... just time to move on. Nice addition by the Rams with Ayers, IMO.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
How often do they have 3 LB's during passing situations? Maybe Dunbar's limitations in the pass defense kept him off the field. I can Barron filling some of that role.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's a solid pass rusher. His addition makes the pass rush even scarier. It's going to be the best in the NFL I would bet.

The Rams pass rush should be awesome this coming season and will be even more effective if the Rams offense can get some leads forcing their opponents into more passing situations.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So we all agree that he is an upgrade over an older dumbar. I really liked him coming out of college (he, Quinn, and aldon were my picks for the Rams that year). If nothing else, it's a hole filled. Dunbar was a bit below par, and that can be a death sentence for a defense. You're only as good as your weakest link and all that. Ayers makes one less position that needs to be masked by our defense or that can be exploited by opponents. Now about that corner position......

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Attached below are some links to remarks/impressions about Ayers within the last year. Aside from Finnegan, Fisher's best FA signing's have been former Titans that he has had a hand in drafting like Britt and Hayes. I do not expect Ayers to be the classic full-time starting SLB. I expect Williams will move him around and use him lot in sub packages to maximize his talents. Dunbar may actually be the better run defender, despite his size, but Ayers is much better attacking upfield as a blitzer.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Tennesseetitans/comments/2jxai7/akeem_ayers_scouting_report/

http://nbcphiladelphia.csnphilly.co...gles/eagles-free-agent-targets-lb-akeem-ayers

http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20141027/Sports/310279970

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/17018/a-look-at-how-lb-akeem-ayers-fits-the-rams

REV3NGE

Rookie
Name
Adrian
Eh, honestly, I don't really care either way. Dunbar has always been more than sufficient.
I'll always be a Dunbar fan after the way he played the Redskins in RGIII's rookie year. Not only did he contained RGIII, but he made him his bitch