How does Bochy not win MOY?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm a Dodgers fan and really can't stand the Giants but this should have been an easy choice. Bochy clearly did the most with the least and deserves to be the Manager of the Year. It doesn't even seem debatable to me.

Is there really an argument to be made for the guy from Washington? Help me out baseball followers.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'm a Dodgers fan and really can't stand the Giants but this should have been an easy choice. Bochy clearly did the most with the least and deserves to be the Manager of the Year. It doesn't even seem debatable to me.

Is there really an argument to be made for the guy from Washington? Help me out baseball followers.
Because it's based more on the regular season, and let's face it, the Giants sort of limped into the post season.

moklerman

Warner-phile
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Because it's based more on the regular season, and let's face it, the Giants sort of limped into the post season.
I get sick of the baseball writers/voters. Not trying to kill the messenger here, I appreciate your input but talk about a bunch of hypocrites. It's supposed to be all about winning and post season success so I don't understand why they put such a premium on regular season accomplishments. Didn't Bochy and the Giants beat the Nationals in the first round?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I get sick of the baseball writers/voters. Not trying to kill the messenger here, I appreciate your input but talk about a bunch of hypocrites. It's supposed to be all about winning and post season success so I don't understand why they put such a premium on regular season accomplishments. Didn't Bochy and the Giants beat the Nationals in the first round?
It is 100% a regular season award.

I think you can look at a lot of managers and make a case for them. I mean, if I wasn't a Cardinal fan that shouted at the TV watching Matheny I could see where someone would make a case he was deserving...he dealt with injuries and slumping production all season and got his team to the NLCS. I'm with you though, I'd have chosen Bochy.

Personally, I think Bochy is in the argument for best manager in the game today, period.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Same way Pat Riley never won it when he coached the Lakers & Heat!

moklerman

Warner-phile
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Same way Pat Riley never won it when he coached the Lakers & Heat!
I think Phil Jackson was penalized in a similar way because he had a loaded roster but neither seems like the same thing as Bochy. I could understand Bochy not being the choice if the Giants won it all with a bloated payroll or a star-studded lineup but the Giants weren't expected to do much, didn't have many "names" and didn't have any big years by the guys that were actually there.

Even the guy from Washington had more to work with in terms of the roster(IMO) and ultimately did less with it.

howski3318

Rookie
I think it is a product of success. It seems they pick the storyline, Washington's having a ten game improvement under a first year manager. I think unless it was a ridiculous late season run like the 2011 Cardinals, Bochy or Matheny will never win a Manager of the Year because it's almost expected the Giants and Cardinals make it to the postseason and this is defined as a regular season award.