Honest Question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What Current Starting NFL QBs could NOT be successful with a Quality O-Line, Quality Receivers, and a Quality RB?

I know that some would be more successful than others based on their skill set, but who do you think Couldn't be a "Franchise QB" Under those conditions?

As a secondary discussion, what would Brady, Manning, Marino, etc. Done with last year's Rams? I am talking same OL, Scheme, Coaching, Receivers, etc.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The answer to the first question depends upon one's definition of successful.

As to the 2nd question, I'd say that the veteran QBs listed would do better than what we saw last year, while also understanding that each QB would probably be running their scheme and having it taught to others.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cleveland has had very good o-line for years, some pretty good WR and yet have started about 100 different QB in the last 10 years. Still need the straw to stir the drink
If we had a franchise QB, a lot of the players we have would look a lot better

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I would not claim that any QB would be a Franchise QB if you had an a quality OL, RB and WR. Do I think the offense would be successful with a game manager type QB. An inaccurate one not so much.

Brady and Marino would do a lot of yelling and frustration at the OL and dropped passes. I think all of them would do better than eany QB that played last year for the Rams, but I do not think it would be a good season statistically in any of their careers.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What Current Starting NFL QBs could NOT be successful with a Quality O-Line, Quality Receivers, and a Quality RB?

I know that some would be more successful than others based on their skill set, but who do you think Couldn't be a "Franchise QB" Under those conditions?

As a secondary discussion, what would Brady, Manning, Marino, etc. Done with last year's Rams? I am talking same OL, Scheme, Coaching, Receivers, etc.
Wut?
~Johnny

DVWCBRl.jpg

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
To me, the immediate example of a QB unable to succeed despite having great pieces around him is Brock Osweiler. Granted, the Texans won games despite him for a variety of fairly flukey reasons, but...

Then you can look at a guy like Brian Hoyer, or Ryan Fitz. These guys go hot and cold, and that can work in the reg season, but they're not going to win in the playoffs, when they'll be counted on to bring their best consistently.

Peyton Manning's last year might be a good prototype for the absolute minimum QB contribution a team can receive while achieving ultimate success. Especially looking at the playoffs, it says to me that a team that is near the top of the league in multiple other important categories can win with a physical abomination at quarterback, as long as that player has the head to put the offense in good positions, to take only what is given, and to show mental discipline in the face of adversity. Basically, don't turn it over, make the most important throw, and don't get greedy, ever.

Anyway, I'd say regular season success and postseason success are vastly different categories, so it's tough to pick a single group. There's definitely a wider selection who can succeed with those superior assets in the regular season. I think it might be the baseline for a good backup versus a backup who needs to be replaced.

As to the last part of the question... It's hard to a imagine a great veteran QB accepting the coaching and scheme of last year. It's almost impossible to imagine what a Manning, a Brett Favre, etc. would have done in that system. Could we see the system actually work, when powered by a superior arm or understanding of the game? That would mean opponents respect the deep ball, give the runner room, don't pick up all the underneath routes... Perhaps... My suspicion would be we'd end up around 6 to 8 wins with a fired OC, a beat-up star QB, and a (still) frustrated Todd Gurley.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I think a better question than what would a superstar QB look like, would be what would Jameis Winston, Derek Carr, or Dak Prescott have looked like if their rookie year was spent with the 2016 Rams.

Winston and Prescott were surrounded by much better talent. I think they would have really struggled in Goff's position. Carr made the most out of a tough situation in Oakland, but he also had an OC that year who really knew how to get the best out of a young QB. It's too bad the Rams don't have a guy like that for Goff. Oh wait. They do! They actually have that exact coach, Greg Olson, in place to finally give Goff some real guidance.

fearsomefour

Legend
To me, the immediate example of a QB unable to succeed despite having great pieces around him is Brock Osweiler. Granted, the Texans won games despite him for a variety of fairly flukey reasons, but...

Then you can look at a guy like Brian Hoyer, or Ryan Fitz. These guys go hot and cold, and that can work in the reg season, but they're not going to win in the playoffs, when they'll be counted on to bring their best consistently.

Peyton Manning's last year might be a good prototype for the absolute minimum QB contribution a team can receive while achieving ultimate success. Especially looking at the playoffs, it says to me that a team that is near the top of the league in multiple other important categories can win with a physical abomination at quarterback, as long as that player has the head to put the offense in good positions, to take only what is given, and to show mental discipline in the face of adversity. Basically, don't turn it over, make the most important throw, and don't get greedy, ever.

Anyway, I'd say regular season success and postseason success are vastly different categories, so it's tough to pick a single group. There's definitely a wider selection who can succeed with those superior assets in the regular season. I think it might be the baseline for a good backup versus a backup who needs to be replaced.

As to the last part of the question... It's hard to a imagine a great veteran QB accepting the coaching and scheme of last year. It's almost impossible to imagine what a Manning, a Brett Favre, etc. would have done in that system. Could we see the system actually work, when powered by a superior arm or understanding of the game? That would mean opponents respect the deep ball, give the runner room, don't pick up all the underneath routes... Perhaps... My suspicion would be we'd end up around 6 to 8 wins with a fired OC, a beat-up star QB, and a (still) frustrated Todd Gurley.
Manning would get a run from Trent Dilfer in the Ravens SB year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Philip Rivers, probably Aaron Rodgers....Bortles had some decent stats behind a porus line....So did Jameis Winston...

Oh you said could NOT.....well I listed the ones that have done pretty well behind bad lines....LAST YEAR...AND SOME LINES WERE BAD DUE TO TALENT...BUT MOST DUE TO INJURIES TO THEIR GOOD PLAYERS...oh, that's still talent...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Cleveland has had very good o-line for years, some pretty good WR and yet have started about 100 different QB in the last 10 years. Still need the straw to stir the drink
If we had a franchise QB, a lot of the players we have would look a lot better

I agree. Find your franchise guy and he can mask deficiencies around him. Did Tom Brady always have true number ones and a great line? .Some years he did some years he didn't, but they always won with him.

Teams like the Packers and Steelers and will always be a contender because they have a franchise caliber quarterback. The direction the Raiders are headed they could be in the same discussion every year with Derek Carr.