Hill hopes for happy encore in San Diego/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Hill hopes for happy encore in San Diego
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ce5183f5-715a-55a3-9409-c325b6e8a0d6.html

Shaun Hill bobbed up and down and launched a fist pump towards the Rams’ bench. He got a congratulatory shove in the chest from Chris Givens, lost his balance for a moment and bounced backwards into Tre Mason.

Then he turned, pointed his right arm skyward and bounded down field in search of Kenny Britt.

OK, the 34-year-old Hill wasn’t exactly Cool Hand Luke after his electric 63-yard strike to Britt last Sunday against Denver — his first TD pass in an NFL regular-season game since 2012.

“I went up to him and I said, ‘Don’t hurt yourself celebrating. You’re not 22 anymore,’” Rams coach Jeff Fisher later joked Monday on his radio show.

Hill is said to be very good at keeping everyone cool and collected in the huddle. So he knew an explanation was in order after the play.

“I came off to the sidelines and told the guys: ‘Look, I understand you’re supposed to act like you’ve been there before. But it’s been a long time,’” Hill explained. “Yeah, I did get a little excited on that one. Most of the times it stays relatively even-keeled. But man, touchdowns — they’re just fun.”

Yes, they are. It would be the only touchdown of the day for the Rams, but combined with five Greg Zuerlein field goals and a rabid performance by the defense, it was enough to shock the Broncos 22-7.

All things considered you couldn’t have scripted a better return for Hill, who began the season as the starter in place of the injured Sam Bradford — but lasted only one half against Minnesota before being replaced because of a thigh injury.

Poised in the pocket? Yes. Accurate with the football? Check. Mistake-free football? Double-check.

Hill played better than anyone could have expected. Anyone but Fisher, apparently.

“Yeah, that’s the Shaun Hill that we expected to see,” Fisher said matter-of-factly during the practice week. “We’re going to ride him now. He’s got a different challenge every week.”

The challenge this week comes in the form of the San Diego Chargers (6-4) in a 3:05 p.m. kickoff (St. Louis time) at Qualcomm Stadium. The Chargers on paper don’t have the caliber of defense that Hill faced last week against Denver.

Or for that matter, a defense to match most of the opponents Hill predecessor Austin Davis faced in a grueling five-game stretch from mid-October to early November.

But this just in: The Chargers are ranked ninth in the NFL in total defense, making them the sixth Rams opponent in seven games to be ranked in the top 10 in that category. The Chargers aren’t spectacular in any area defensively. But there don’t appear to be any glaring weaknesses, either.

“Can’t find any holes in their defense, so we’re going to have to come with our ‘A-game,’ that’s for sure,” Hill said.

So what does Hill do for an encore? Are we to expect 100-plus passer ratings every week? The kind with no turnovers and a lightning bolt or two in the passing game?

For his part, Fisher simply would settle for another round of good decision-making, ball security and getting the ball out quickly.

“He’s seeing things well,” Fisher said. “He even extended some plays. ... He’s got some mobility in the pocket and there’s a sense of time. The ball’s coming out and the receivers need to be there on time.”

As the man of the hour last Sunday, Hill said his cell phone was flooded with congratulatory text messages after the big victory over Peyton Manning & Co. But that was last week. Hill is not the type to get comfortable after one good outing. Or get comfortable, period.

“Comfortable?” Hill asked. “Comfortable is not something that I’ve had the luxury of having in the NFL, just in general. That’s just kind of the way my career’s gone. I think I’m probably best in that role of not exactly comfortable, if I’m being honest.”

He’s bounced around to too many teams over the course of his 13 NFL seasons, fought his way through too many long periods of inactivity as a backup, to feel comfortable.

He also shrugged off questions about his rust — or actually his lack of rust — against Denver after a half-season on the bench. He provided a telling anecdote to make his point.

“My first game ever starting in the NFL, I had a broken right index finger that required surgery,” Hill said. “Two guys went down and I had to play. I couldn’t throw a ball over 30 yards. Hadn’t taken an NFL snap other than (kneel-downs). This was the end of my sixth year and I had to perform. If I was ever going to be rusty, that was the time.”

That’s right, after entering the NFL in 2002 as an undrafted free agent with Minnesota, Hill didn’t play in a regular-season game until that 2007 contest in San Francisco. (Except for those kneel-downs he referred to.)

By the way, Hill helped the 49ers defeat Cincinnati 20-13 in that 2007 start, broken index finger and all. He completed 21 of 28 passes for 197 yards and a touchdown. Passer rating: 105.8. He also scored a rushing touchdown.

After Hill’s rough season opener this season and huge opportunity lost, Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said Hill didn’t waver and didn’t change.

“Same exact guy,” Schottenheimer said. “You could tell he was always still prepared.”

There’s been one slight change. Now that he’s the starter, it’s part of the job description to be more vocal. If nothing else, Hill has to tell the players what he expects on the field.

“I don’t think they’re surprised by that,” Schottenheimer said. “They assume a guy with that many years of experience would have some specific things that he wants.”

Including, of course, touchdowns.

jap

Legend
Shaun did need some time to recuperate after the Game One injury. I doubt he expected to get nine weeks rest time, but, with last than a half season to go and a young hyperactive defense and a dynamic kicking team backing his offensive play, he's all set to try and lead the Horns to the playoffs.