Herm Edwards on the Rams QB situation (audio)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
112b674c0a1a42a2915be5b47c8de8b5.png

[av]http://play.podtrac.com/espn-bestofespnla/c.espnradio.com/s:5L8r1/audio/3057470/espnlamorningshowcuts_2016-09-28-130310.64k.mp3[/av]

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Edwards was a good coach and highly respected by players. He's forgotton more football than what we all know,combined!

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like he would have Goff on the field . He did mention the coach can't be stubborn and do it his way .

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
You have to take to heart the way Edwards explained how he would handle Goff if he was his head coach. Expressing that the offense should've/could've been tweaked a bit to fit Goff so he could get out on the field sooner than later.

I like how he used the Steelers offensive scheme as an example of what might best fit JG's skill set until he learns the NFL game and also pointing out the flexibility of a Patriots coaching staff when it comes to knowing what gives a young QB the best chance to succeed early.

Some of us on the ROD forum have pointed out several similar things/ideas but it really brings it home to hear an unbiased former head coach give his honest hypothetical thoughts about our young franchise quarterback..

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Keyshawn just needs to shut the hell up. He has nothing to offer.

Edwards had some pretty good advice on the Goff situation. Unlike some of the reactionary national media.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Amazing imagine that! A coach like Herm saying what some of us have been saying for a long time now. Simplify the offense, like he cites other teams have done for their rookies, and put the kid out there. Come out of retirement Herm and bring in a good young OC.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Amazing imagine that! A coach like Herm saying what some of us have been saying for a long time now. Simplify the offense, like he cites other teams have done for their rookies, and put the kid out there.
Sure. And nobody's disputing that the way you just described is a valid way to do it.

*IF*

... that's what they wanted to do. But since that's not what they wanted to do, they're doing it another, equally valid way.
There's a difference between having a preference, and having no clue. The Rams' coaches simply have a preference.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I agree that Fisher should tweak the offense some and simplify it to get Goff on the field.
There could be other issues, I've heard that Goff lacks leadership skills and maybe that's part of it.
But, if I could get him on the field soon, I would.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure. And nobody's disputing that the way you just described is a valid way to do it.

*IF*

... that's what they wanted to do. But since that's not what they wanted to do, they're doing it another, equally valid way.
There's a difference between having a preference, and having no clue. The Rams' coaches simply have a preference.
Oh come on :D You know that I know that you know that I know wait I'm confused! I know full well they had a plan, it was the plan, relying on Case Keenum, that was the issue! It just reinforces some of us wonder if Fisher really does have a clue that they made no effort or attempt to simplify the offense like Herm describes. We are where Fisher wants us to be and there's not a darn thing I or anybody else can do about it. Doesn't mean that I'll change my mind we'd be better off following the model of Dallas, Philly, Cleveland and New England.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
it was the plan, relying on Case Keenum, that was the issue!
Yep. I know. You're not alone in that regard -- that's for sure.
I really don't care that Jared is sitting, and here's why.
Because I want a team that can win, when it has to, in spite of the QB.
So when we do have a QB who's that good, it won't sting as much if he struggles or gets injured.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Most teams who play their first round draft pick do it because they have to because they have shit at QB.

The Rams have the luxury of having a guy who doesn't suck. Let's face it, most backup QB's are terrible, but Keenum isn't. He won't make anyone forget Warner, but he isn't going to eff things up very often either. He's not perfect but he is capable. Therefore the Rams have the ability to bring Goff along and not have him rush and struggle.

I don't know why people aren't counting their lucky stars here. The team is 2-1 and going to AZ to take on a struggling Cardinals team with OL issues and a QB who lacks mobility. It's an opportunity to steal a game. And the best has yet to come.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar

*IF*

I disagree and have 4+ years as proof.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Most teams who play their first round draft pick do it because they have to because they have crap at QB.

The Rams have the luxury of having a guy who doesn't suck. Let's face it, most backup QB's are terrible, but Keenum isn't. He won't make anyone forget Warner, but he isn't going to eff things up very often either. He's not perfect but he is capable. Therefore the Rams have the ability to bring Goff along and not have him rush and struggle.

I don't know why people aren't counting their lucky stars here. The team is 2-1 and going to AZ to take on a struggling Cardinals team with OL issues and a QB who lacks mobility. It's an opportunity to steal a game. And the best has yet to come.
I like the cut of your jib, Les.

:flanders: I like how he can tie a bowline knot without thinking while regaling us with sea stories from his youth in the Merchant Marines....or was that @Selassie I ?(n)

Debacled

Starter
Herm is one of those former coaches who I'd have a hard time buying advise from, especially when it comes to player development. Thats one of the major reasons the Jets dumped him and then the Chiefs put an end to his coaching career.

Love me some Hermisms though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Regardless of what one might think of Herm, he is correct. Put Goff in there with the defense spread and Gurley in the backfield much like Philly has done thus far. Goff even without great receivers can dish that ball all over quickly, and Gurley would kill it with a non-loaded box.

Adjusting the offense to what your players do well. What a concept!