“He has to learn to play bigger than his size”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was reading an article (coach from a different team) said; “He has to learn to play bigger than his size”

What does that mean, really?

I think of guys like Darren Sproles, maybe... small in stature but he always plays “like a guy bigger than he is, because you sort of forget he’s small”... Is that it? DeSean Jackson another, particularly weight-wise.

But... Can you “learn” that?

Tavon Austin, for example, is always tossed around like a light/small guy. Can he learn to be otherwise?

Maybe it’s how you run and make contact... Sproles runs like he plans on taking you on, at least at some point.... Austin runs like he’ll run away from you?

The comment “He has to learn to play bigger than his size” may mean something different by position, too?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Unsure if the context is related or not, but I think the coach may be referring to size and athleticism may be great, but you can't rely on your God-given gifts alone. It takes repetition, study and extra effort to make it in the NFL. You look at Brian Quick and Vernon Gholston, had those players really dedicated themselves to the craft instead of "playing to their size," who knows how much success they could have earned?

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
I think A.D is a prime example of a player bigger than his and than 100 or so other skills he's got.

Let's throw in London Fletcher too.

There's probably around a 100 or so players you could that label on if we went back 30 or so years imho..

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think A.D is a prime example of a player bigger than his and than 100 or so other skills he's got.

Let's throw in London Fletcher too.

There's probably around a 100 or so players you could that label on if we went back 30 or so years imho..

Those are good ones. Can you learn it, tho?

Because if that’s motor, or ferocity, a form of playing bigger... I argue you can’t learn that either. You’re born with it.

Unless there is an example of a guy, who acquired motor later in his career?

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Those are good ones. Can you learn it, tho?

Because if that’s motor, or ferocity, a form of playing bigger... I argue you can’t learn that either. You’re born with it.

Unless there is an example of a guy, who acquired motor later in his career?
I think any player that goes to the H.O.F has it naturally the playing bigger,but has to step everything up when they go to the NFL.Hell I don;t think AD didn;t even have a 5th round grade in his JR year, than he started in his Sr year blasting thru lines and his draft stock kept rising..

Really want to go back in history of a Player playing Bigger than himself for Years Jackie Slater, he started in 1 game and it was probably because of injury his 1st 3 years...Imho there are many players that get to the NFL that get on that practice field and say O S@#@ I better step it up...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
To me, it would have to mean a very specific position, like QB. It just doesn’t apply to many positions.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
To me, it would have to mean a very specific position, like QB. It just doesn’t apply to many positions.
DR think you're a very good poster but Ah no and imho every position, every sport has people who have proven, they have done something bigger than they are, heck you may know a few people in the med profession.

Heck who would have thought Tom Mack would have done what he did.

CGI is correct, some are born with it, but then there's the Others that Rise Above jmho.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
DR think you're a very good poster but Ah no and imho every position, every sport has people who have proven, they have done something bigger than they are, heck you may know a few people in the med profession.

Heck who would have thought Tom Mack would have done what he did.

CGI is correct, some are born with it, but then there's the Others that Rise Above jmho.
Well, we are talking about football, or I would have had a different response. I don’t think we are that far apart. Sproles is a good example, does he play bigger than his size? Yes, IMO. Their are dozens, if not way more players who play bigger than their size. That wasn’t what I was addressing.

I was addressing a coach remarking on a player. I think it’s rare a coach would say that. I think when you draft a player, you see a fit, on your team, the size of a player isn’t a surprise to you. If you make that remark, it appears it would be one of those remarks, you want a player to hear, to motivate them. It could also be the intent, the learn part, for a player to get tougher.

I never did this, not my style, but some coaches do. Let me put a name to this, Baker Mayfield, I can see a new staff coming in, saying that. Possibly, Manziel, for instance couldn’t overcome this. Russel Wilson has.

Another example, you draft a middle backer, and he can’t get off blocks, or be able to handle guards. That player wouldn’t be on the team. Tavon isn’t asked to play bigger either, for instance, he’s just asked to make plays.

So, I just think it’s a specific comment, not a general one coaches use, and I think it’s pointed, but also doesn’t apply to most NFL positions. It does apply to a few though...CB, Safety, are a couple more. It could also mean that a player needs to be tougher.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
A lack of size gives you a leverage advantage. Extra size often gives you a length advantage. You just have to use what you have to the best of your abilities

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Carolina's retired WR Steve Smith immediately came to mind when reading thread title.