Has this Idea Crossed The Rams Mind Again!?!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shoud the Rams use Keenum and Goff Alternately until Goff is ready to take over!

• Yes

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • It would never work

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Your "Nuts" Dave, Quit Dreaming!

Votes: 17 23.0%

• Total voters

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I had a Dream last night that woke me up, and I couldn't go back to sleep thinking about it, hence this Poll question!
Let me preface this poll Question By taking you back in Time! In the beginning of the 1950's ( 1950-1951 and 1952 to be exact!) the Rams Alternated using two QB's. Bob Waterfield and the New kid Norm Van Brocklin.
In that time frame the Rams went 26-10-0. Losing the League Championship Game in 1950, Winning the Championship Game in 1952 and Losing the Confrance Champiomship in 1952.
Keep in mind, Van Brocklin did not take over as the Rams starting QB until 1952, and Waterfield went 3-3-0 that Year!
( **** Waterfield was with the Rams from 1945 to 1952. Van Brocklin was with the Rams from 1949 to 1955)
So My Poll Question. Should the Rams use two QB's until Goff is Ready to take over!?
It worked before it can work again!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure it would work on a continuity level in practice reps etc, but a similar thought crossed my mind the other day, it was about defensive coordinators 'working' out certain QBs. we all remember how Austin Davis played quite well in 2014 for a while, until he was "worked out" Lets say it takes 4-5 games to work out a QBs strengths and weaknesses, why not mix it up after 6 games or do a switcharoo every 3rd game etc, it would keep defences busy, learning 2 (maybe 3) QBs style of play, their strengths and their weaknesses. BUT, I doubt it would work, unless you had an amazing QB coach and OC that could scheme clever things to each QBs strengths...

Maybe it was the excess beer on the weekend that made me think of it though....

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here's a nice factoid and a good bar bet. Rams are the only NFL team to have their 1st and 2nd string QB's ending the season rated the top 2. Van Brocklin and Waterfield ended the '51 season the top 2 rated QB's. No other NFL team has ever done that. But it gets better. Not only are the Rams the only NFL team to have fielded the top 2 QB's, they have done it TWICE! They had to top 2 rated QB's in the 2001 (or maybe it was '02) in Warner and Bulger! (it was the season Warner hurt his thumb )

I got that from Pro Football Focus a couple years ago, but can't find the link now, maybe one of you pc guru's can find it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's a nice factoid and a good bar bet. Rams are the only NFL team to have their 1st and 2nd string QB's ending the season rated the top 2. Van Brocklin and Waterfield ended the '51 season the top 2 rated QB's. No other NFL team has ever done that. But it gets better. Not only are the Rams the only NFL team to have fielded the top 2 QB's, they have done it TWICE! They had to top 2 rated QB's in the 2001 (or maybe it was '02) in Warner and Bulger! (it was the season Warner hurt his thumb )

I got that from Pro Football Focus a couple years ago, but can't find the link now, maybe one of you pc guru's can find it.
:wow:Great Fun Factoid!! I'll never forget it! Some of my favorite Years as a Rams Fan!! Especially "'51!" My 1st year as a Rams Fan!!:mrburnsevil:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I too was mulling the "alternating QBs" strategy just yesterday. I know there are a lot of people that don't like it because of not enough reps for either guy and the whole "getting in a rhythm" thing but it might be an answer for the Rams if they deploy it situationally. I mean put Goff in when the O seems a little flat but not at a point in the game where the O is pinned deep etc. I'd love to see Goff come in running the two-minute drill for starters.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the browns did the other night against miami with Kessler and pryor the other day and despite the loss it kinda worked for them .... cant see it as a long term solution for the rams ....we either put Goff in see what he can do and hand him the team or roll with Case until fish thinks JG is ready

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I cast a vote for your nuts. :snicker:

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would make more sense to me if one of them was a runner and the other was a passer.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Rhythm...baby it's all about the continuity.....I'd hate to see either get in a grove, then taken out.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
As my Grandaughter would say... "Dave... you're Cray-Cray!! :LOL:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Its really hard on the OL. I wouldn't mind Goff seeing some mop up duty, but I'm no fan of platooning qb's.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You have to be talking about 2000 with Warner and Green.

Kurt's 2002 was terrible as the Rams started 0-5

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don't favor the alternating QB scenario. At all.

However...

Goff in a mop up role makes a ton of sense, doesn't it?

So, can we please jump out to a commanding lead over our opponents so Goff can get his 4th qtr action?

Oh wait...

If Keenum gets us out to a commanding lead by the 3rd qtr(s), why in the world shouldn't he remain our starter? Lol.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The only reason coaches don't do that is because they don't want to be second guessed by media. Doing it admits you're not sure, which is a nice milestone on the road to unemployment in the NFL.

But I don't care about all that since I can't be fired for it. So I voted YES!!! Do eeeeet!!!! Remove that sand from your (rhymes with fajina) and trot that kid out there to see if he can show Case up!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I cast a vote for your nuts. :snicker:

You almost had my vote. If you'd gone the "Deez nuts" route I woulda had to click it!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They had to top 2 rated QB's in the 2001 (or maybe it was '02) in Warner and Bulger! (it was the season Warner hurt his thumb )
You might be thinking of 2000 when Trent Green finished 2nd and Warner 3rd behind Brian Griese
Warner was #1 in 2001, but Bulger wasn't on the team then. When Bulger took over in 2002 Warner was terrible and had a 60 something rating