Has Tavon Austin Become an Afterthought?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
One would think that if these new rules of illegal contact are firmly enforced, Tavon will be impossible to cover. In theory.

Rams4life

The Rams have been keeping an extremely low profile on him this preseason. That's got to mean that they've got some good things planned for him. I think they're going to be using him in ways that they don't want other teams game planning against. At least for as long as possible.

I'm glass half full on this.

This is the same thing they tried selling us last season. "just wait till the season starts, we got some plays under wraps. And those turned out to be minus 5 yard bubble screens.

I like Austin, but i think the rams gave up way to much to get what amounts to a gadget player. They seem to have to force him into the offense.

I don't think he will ever be worth what the rams gave up for him. I really want him to be but...

bskrilla

Starter
Nah haha twelve teams. But my starting running backs are Sankey and Bush. My starting receivers are Hilton, Cruz and Maclin. So my flex comes down to Austin, Richardson or even CJ2K. I used my money wisely lol wouldn't overpay for some bum like Adrian Peterson.

I can't figure out where you spent your money. Your QB must be Peyton and your TE must be Graham.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Quick and Britt will open up things for Tavon to get the ball in space. They need to get to teams to respect those 2 then Tavon is going to brake out

If Britt and Quick play like they did in the preseason, we're going to see a passing game that we haven't seen in a very long time.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have heard experts viewing Austin in Camp, wowed by wha the did, yet nothing spectacular in Preseason Games....We saw what he could do in those back to back games last year....With Britt, Quick, and (later) Bailey...Austin is gonna have a huge play almost every game..He'll be the game changing gadget guy, imo...At least thats what I hope..

AnarchyRam

Rookie
If Britt and Quick play like they did in the preseason, we're going to see a passing game that we haven't seen in a very long time.

Yes, and as a consequence, open things up for Tavon underneath and deep.

Tavon is an incredibly popular player with amazing abilities. Rams are an organization which needs to get the most out of him in order to help grow the brand of the Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Welp, I'll spare everyone a repeating of my patience rant from the Robinson thread. I'll just say that I don't know why people crap on players that weren't "their" guy.

scifiman

I think the rams have kept him safe in the preseason. We have to look at the whole picture with Tavon and who is throwing the ball to him. Shaun Hill does not have a real strong arm and is more of a timing and placement thrower. Throwing Tavon plenty of short slants and screens would be the ideal way to use him and then have Tavon open it long when they bite on the short route. Hill does have a nice touch on the deep balls he throws so we may see way more of Tavon if all goes well. Either way the defense has to account for him and that leaves single coverage for the other guys.

scifiman

This is the same thing they tried selling us last season. "just wait till the season starts, we got some plays under wraps. And those turned out to be minus 5 yard bubble screens.

I like Austin, but i think the rams gave up way to much to get what amounts to a gadget player. They seem to have to force him into the offense.

I don't think he will ever be worth what the rams gave up for him. I really want him to be but...
I hope you are wrong but you may be right. It was a lot to give up for him and hopefully it pays off in the long run.

Alan

Legend
Rams4life wary of snake oil salesmen:

I don't think he will ever be worth what the rams gave up for him.
As I've been saying this ever since we drafted him I can't disagree with your contention about him not being worth what we gave up for him. What I do disagree with is your, if I'm reading you right, contention that he won't be very good. It took Schotty some time to figure out how to use him and when he finally did we had Clemens under center. Then his injury of course. I see good things for him this year even with Hill behind center. The ascent of Britt and Quick (hopefully) will be huge for Tavon.

Ramway

UDFA
I
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that with all the talk or Bradford, Quick, Britt, the DLine and even non Rams like Michael Sam and Sammy Watkins, we have hardly even discussed his potential impact his 2nd year in the league? It seems as if we've even talked more about Steadman Bailey & Trey Watts (who if he can block could be a find as a 3rd down back, btw) than last year's 1st rounder.

Maybe it's just me and I've missed the comments. Anyway, I was just browsing youtube and ran across a few of his clips and couldn't help but to think that a big season from him on offense (not just special teams) could really put this offense on the map. Even without Bradford.

Will Schottenhiemer do a better job of using this kid this year?[/QUOTE

I sure hope teams think that! It will make Tavon more dangerous if they think the Rams have forgotten about him. If Quick and Britt step up, Tavon Austin will become Tavon Awesome!

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Tavon has skills but the status where he was drafted in the 1st round leads to big expectations. I hope he pans out more than a gadget guy.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Just watch the Colts game.

I want Shotty to at least call 5 deep passes to tavon per game.
yeah, and if teams are stupid enough to play straight man to man coverage the entire game, maybe they can get away with that. Not likely!!!!!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think many of you who are expecting them to somehow bust him out in some magical uber creative ways, ala some Maddenesque just air it out and throw it to Austin deep every other play are going to be in for a major letdown.

Not sure why people think they need to focus on getting the ball to ONE guy at the expense of the entire offense. What they will do, assuming Britt and Quick can establish themselves as threats on the outside, and the running game can be as effective as expected, will be able to get Austin room on the same sort of crossing routes, and drag routes as they have in the past.

The difference being, he will be able to get behind the LBs rather than being forced to run in front of them, because those LBs won't be able to get deep drops having to respect the play action fakes. Having threats on the outside will occupy the Safeties and keep them from crashing down on these routes. They have also shown a plan to use him out of the back field more.

Tavon Austin is never going to be the "feature" guy in this offense. But he can be the most dynamic and versatile. They will line him up in the slot. He will get reps on the outside, and in the back field. The guy he will be like is Percy Harvin. It's not about throwing the ball 7-10 times a game, it about when and how they get it to him.

Last edited:

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Hopefully shotty doesn't call a play where there is only one pattern and it's a fly.....lol hopefully there are at least 4 options on every play...and the qb has to read the defense and throw it to the best option...... but no matter who is at qb.... with all of our size and speed (Britt, Quick, and Cook) and pure speed Austin. ....we should be able to stretch the field vertically not just horizontally....in other words someone different should be going deep on almost every play until they back out of the box.....opening things up underneath and running lanes for our backs...hypothetically of course......Go Rams........;)

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think many of you who are expecting them to somehow bust him out in some magical uber creative ways, ala some Maddenesque just air it out and throw it to Austin deep every other play are going to be in for a major letdown.

Not sure why people think they need to focus on getting the ball to ONE guy at the expense of the entire offense. What they will do, assuming Britt and Quick can establish themselves as threats on the outside, and the running game can be as effective as expected, will be able to get Austin room on the same sort of crossing routes, and drag routes as they have in the past.

The difference being, he will be able to get behind the LBs rather than being forced to run in front of them, because those LBs won't be able to get deep drops having to respect the play action fakes. Having threats on the outside will occupy the Safeties and keep them from crashing down on these routes. They have also shown a plan to use him out of the back field more.

Tavon Austin is never going to be the "feature" guy in this offense. But he can be the most dynamic and versatile. They will line him up in the slot. He will get reps on the outside, and in the back field. The guy he will be like is Percy Harvin. It's not about throwing the ball 7-10 times a game, it about when and how they get it to him.

And about how defenses are forced to adjust when he's in the game due to his big play ability.

I'm not concerned about what we saw in preseason games from him, which wasn't much. Quick and Britt needed the reps more, as we had to find out what we have with those guys. With Tavon I think we all know.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

My question to you @CoachO , do I start Austin as my flex receiver in fantasy or should I roll the dice on a guy like Trent Richardson or CJ2K in my flex spot? Haha I know it's a weird question, but I need advice, they all have good matchups.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
My question to you @CoachO , do I start Austin as my flex receiver in fantasy or should I roll the dice on a guy like Trent Richardson or CJ2K in my flex spot? Haha I know it's a weird question, but I need advice, they all have good matchups.
Not a fantasy guy so not gonna be much help. Sorry.

Big Game

Living The Dream
I believe the Rams will unleash Tavon Austin when the season begins and as many have said, i don't think they want to have tape out there on ways they may use him until the season begins.

We will probably see Tavon take some snaps at RB be a great check down option if Quick, Britt, and Cook are running DB's down the field and of course they will take a few shots with him.

Austin will be fine.