Has Tavon Austin Become an Afterthought?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that with all the talk or Bradford, Quick, Britt, the DLine and even non Rams like Michael Sam and Sammy Watkins, we have hardly even discussed his potential impact his 2nd year in the league? It seems as if we've even talked more about Steadman Bailey & Trey Watts (who if he can block could be a find as a 3rd down back, btw) than last year's 1st rounder.

Maybe it's just me and I've missed the comments. Anyway, I was just browsing youtube and ran across a few of his clips and couldn't help but to think that a big season from him on offense (not just special teams) could really put this offense on the map. Even without Bradford.

Will Schottenhiemer do a better job of using this kid this year?

ShaneFalco

Just watch the Colts game.

I want Shotty to at least call 5 deep passes to tavon per game.

Alan

Legend
The Rams have been keeping an extremely low profile on him this preseason. That's got to mean that they've got some good things planned for him. I think they're going to be using him in ways that they don't want other teams game planning against. At least for as long as possible.

I'm glass half full on this.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The Rams have been keeping an extremely low profile on him this preseason. That's got to mean that they've got some good things planned for him. I think they're going to be using him in ways that they don't want other teams game planning against. At least for as long as possible.

Yeah I think they're sandbagging, no way they don't have some surprises involving TA

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
The guy ended the season injured, I'm guessing they know what they have in him and had no need to explore in the preseason and risk further injury:bueller:

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
His use was pretty vanilla in the preseason so I'm hoping they'll unleash him on Sunday. Then again the way they used him last year was pretty boring.

We shall see...

jap

Legend
He won't be an after thought after he goes Tavon Awesome! against the Vikes. The Horns need to establish his presence with a few plays designed to allow him to run free in space from Game One. That will set him and his fellow receivers up for the rest of the year. If you cheat on Kenny or Brian, Tavon will kill you. If you cheat on Tavon, either Kenny or Brian will get you. If you cheat on all three, then here comes Zac the Mack (truck) and Benny "and His Jets" Cunningham, with a little Tre mason sprinkled in for extra seasoning.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He really has been an after thought for the reasons mentioned and Schotty not showcasing him. I think it's safe to say the coaches weren't about to throw him into the fire last season and risk injury.

I just don't see how he fits in Schotty's offense, going off of last year. I expected him to come in and excel in Ammendola's role, like he should have.

I have full confidence in Tavon, I doubt Schotty. I'll have to see Schotty knows how to use Tavon before I can beleive. I hope I'm wrong and Schotty is take the hand cuffs off this offense. With Sam down, I have my doubt.

jjab360

Legend
Good, that's exactly how we want it. Tavon is most dangerous when he isn't the defense's main focus.

lockdnram21

Legend
Quick and Britt will open up things for Tavon to get the ball in space. They need to get to teams to respect those 2 then Tavon is going to brake out

diverdown

UDFA
Everyone thought last year we were just keeping him under wraps in the preseason, then the real games came and it turns out Schotty didn't have a clue. I don't have much faith that has changed. If we do poorly this year (say, 7-9 or worse) and he still has a job, I will be furious. Of course, they'll probably just blame it on Hill.

ShaneFalco

He really has been an after thought for the reasons mentioned and Schotty not showcasing him. I think it's safe to say the coaches weren't about to throw him into the fire last season and risk injury.

I just don't see how he fits in Schotty's offense, going off of last year. I expected him to come in and excel in Ammendola's role, like he should have.

I have full confidence in Tavon, I doubt Schotty. I'll have to see Schotty knows how to use Tavon before I can beleive. I hope I'm wrong and Schotty is take the hand cuffs off this offense. With Sam down, I have my doubt.
really thats the issue. Like i said, Shotty better throw the ball downfield to the burner.

Alan

Legend
Schotty found ways to use Tavon towards the second half of the season and up until he was injured. Took him awhile though. I'm not a big fan of Schotty.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I think Austin has at least 60 receptions. He might be the check down guy and that's not a bad thing.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I have Tavon in fantasy. Having issues deciding if I should play him as my flex. It's between him or Trent Richardson. I'm thinking I should wait and see if he's used properly. But he can return a punt back anytime.

jjab360

Legend
I have Tavon in fantasy. Having issues deciding if I should play him as my flex. It's between him or Trent Richardson. I'm thinking I should wait and see if he's used properly. But he can return a punt back anytime.
No offense, but either you're playing in a 20 man league or something went horribly, horribly wrong there. o_O

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
See, here's one player that I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid for. I was never a fan of Austin (I wanted Keenan Allen but that's beside the point now).

Austin skill set does not seem to be a great fit for this type of offense. In terms of talent, I think he offers less than Quick, Britt, and Bailey. There's a spot for Austin don't get me wrong, but it's not a major part of the offense.

I see Austin as a mix of Ted Ginn Jr and Darren Sproles. He's never going to come close to living up to his draft status. If you're expectations are of a great returner who can give you the occasional gadget play to energize your offense, then Austin will be fine. If you are expecting him to be a major part of the offense, I think you'll be disappointing.

Just my .02

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
No offense, but either you're playing in a 20 man league or something went horribly, horribly wrong there. o_O

Nah haha twelve teams. But my starting running backs are Sankey and Bush. My starting receivers are Hilton, Cruz and Maclin. So my flex comes down to Austin, Richardson or even CJ2K. I used my money wisely lol wouldn't overpay for some bum like Adrian Peterson.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope not. I want to see Tavon in the back-field come Sunday. I want to see Tavon split out wide going deep come Sunday. I want to see Tavon being used intelligently come Sunday. This kid is a major talent. And you better bet if he played for a team like New Orleans or New England, he'd get plenty of use. It's time for Schotty to get smart AND get creative. There are so many ways to use Tavon and get him the ball other than the unimaginative bubble screens that fooled no one last year.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

I agree with this..