Gruden: Grayson is worth second round pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Just curious - Would you be upset if the Rams don't draft a QB at all? Personally, I would be fine with the Rams going into next season with Foles, Keenum and Davis.

I hope we draft a qb in the 2nd rd. wouldn't it be nice if 2 or 3 years ago we had drafted a developmental qb. last year very few were happy with king or davis what if we had a developmental qb waiting on the bench. I for one would of had high hopes at least for 3 or 4 games. almost everyone says this is a poor qb draft but with injurys and off the field problems how do we know next year will be any better. we have needs this year but with the salary cap I think we will have needs every year next year it could be cb and what if foles is injurd or is a bust or is really good and we can't resign him then we could be starting a rookie qb next year.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I wouldn't mind if the Rams didn't draft a QB in the top few rounds this year. It's just not strong of a draft class. Many say that the team should have or should get a developmental QB almost as if it's guaranteed that said prospect will actually amount to something.

However, for every Russell Wilson or Andy Dalton, there are about 10 Jimmy Clausens or Colt McCoys.:(

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Many say that the team should have or should get a developmental QB almost as if it's guaranteed that said prospect will actually amount to something.

However, for every Russell Wilson or Andy Dalton, there are about 10 Jimmy Clausens or Colt McCoys.:(

I feel that way too.

I mostly do not support a QB beyond round 1 because most do not pan out. We can't afford to give 2-4 round picks away.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I feel that way too.

I mostly do not support a QB beyond round 1 because most do not pan out. We can't afford to give 2-4 round picks away.
No guarantees from any QB class, but this isn't even great at the top. There are no Andrew Luck, Sam Bradford, Peyton Manning, and Philip River's type guys. We have to get used to it though, the position in college has changed, greatly. Not many pro style teams anymore.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have to get used to it though, the position in college has changed, greatly. Not many pro style teams anymore.

You know, that's a good point. Are you suggesting a pro-capable QB could easier slip thru the cracks these days due to the college style offenses?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You know, that's a good point. Are you suggesting a pro-capable QB could easier slip thru the cracks these days due to the college style offenses?
Yes, and no. If they can work hard, have the ability, and opportunity to learn, maybe. But no, nothing in evaluating QB's is easy, or obvious, or there would be no misses. I think some coaches and teams are doing a better job of teaching, because they have to, now.

I think hiring Weinke was a great move in our staff going in that direction. We have Foles for a year, at least. If the FO is committed to our coaching staff, then we just need to pick the guy who fits our offense the best. I think it's too late to pick a guy to build around....again. Pick the guy that best fits, coach him up, and we have a better chance. Rinse and repeat.

I am suggesting that with certain guys, we just don't, or can't know, because they haven't been asked to do it. My final point is, if I'm molding something from clay, and I want the final product to be great, I'm going to use the best quality clay, and find the best artist to mold it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Cardale Jones in 2016 or bust if neither of the top two quarterbacks fall to us.

Would rather use a seventh round pick on Taylor Heinicke than a second on Garrett Grayson (if teams really do value him that highly). Can't justify a pick on any other quarterback in this draft.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Cardale Jones in 2016 or bust if neither of the top two quarterbacks fall to us.

Would rather use a seventh round pick on Taylor Heinicke than a second on Garrett Grayson (if teams really do value him that highly). Can't justify a pick on any other quarterback in this draft.
That's the clay that I would like to work with. He has great talent, and natural instincts, plus we know he's not deterred by a big stage.

Memento

Name
Jemma
That's the clay that I would like to work with. He has great talent, and natural instincts, plus we know he's not deterred by a big stage.

Yes. I wish that he had entered the 2015 Draft; then he'd be my absolute first choice. If he becomes the starter and excels this season, there's no reason for him not to leave (and it looks like he is going to be the starter at OSU, judging by the spring game).

I want that kid in horns so badly. The thing that I absolutely love is that he's matured so much. The reason he stayed at OSU wasn't because of football; it was so that he could get his education. Imagine that. Getting his education when he had scoffed at such a thing when he first came to OSU.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yes. I wish that he had entered the 2015 Draft; then he'd be my absolute first choice. If he becomes the starter and excels this season, there's no reason for him not to leave (and it looks like he is going to be the starter at OSU, judging by the spring game).

I want that kid in horns so badly. The thing that I absolutely love is that he's matured so much. The reason he stayed at OSU wasn't because of football; it was so that he could get his education. Imagine that. Getting his education when he had scoffed at such a thing when he first came to OSU.
Even with the small sample size, he'd be the guy I'd have wanted too, if everything else came up clean.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Gunner Kiel next year would be a pretty good selection of Foles can find his feet and stay healthy.

Athos

Legend

If Jones gets his change to start for OSU, I think he blows it up statistically and I'd trade the fucking moon for that guy.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I feel that way too.

It's not like we have been getting anything out of our second round picks lately anyway.:(

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The key period in this draft will be late first to early second round for QB. There are some teams like Dallas and New England that might surprise by taking a project QB. New England did it last year in round 3 but from what I hear via a couple diehard Pats fan friends is they're not exactly wowed by Garoppolo. Plus you'll have some teams thinking of dipping into the late first or moving up to early second round to get whichever one they like.

I think teams will have targets on all three of Petty/Hundley/Grayson tbh to differing degrees depending on who they prefer for fit and based on workouts and chalkboard sessions. Grayson is a fit with the Rams because they'll be running a lot of WCO type plays where the arm strength isn't a huge factor, so if it's him I am fine with it. Gotta trust that Weinke has a good feel for which guy he wants in his QB room, and whoever they choose I'm just gonna cross my fingers and hope they hit on the pick because hitting on QB outside the first round would be huge for this team.

Memento

Name
Jemma
If Jones gets his change to start for OSU, I think he blows it up statistically and I'd trade the freaking moon for that guy.

I'd trade our entire 2016 draft for that kid. That's how much faith I have in him.

And he's going to start. J.T. Barrett and Braxton Miller are still both injured with a broken ankle and an injured throwing shoulder respectively. He's going to start, and he's going to blow the NCAA up again.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The out pattern that he throws with timing, precision, and anticipation?

Luck doesn't throw that pattern with a ton of zip either. The key to that pattern in the NFL is timing and placement. Arm strength matters but it won't bail you out if your timing and placement are bad. But timing and placement can bail you out if your arm strength is bad.

I'll post a couple videos later showing how good his timing is on that pattern.

Grayson is my guy. Winston and Mariota aren't going to make it to us (from all reports). If that is true, I want Grayson. He's already shown the skills needed to succeed at the next level. Something the other QBs in this class have not.

Here's a video of one:
http://gfycat.com/IncompleteMadCoyote

Higgins breaks at 8 and rolls to 10 on the out.

Here are some stills that show Grayson's timing and anticipation on the throw:
http://gfycat.com/IncompleteMadCoyote#?frameNum=60

You can see Grayson's back-foot planted with his front foot starting the stride into the throw and him pulling the ball back to start his throwing motion...this is 2-3 yards before Higgins starts to make his break

http://gfycat.com/IncompleteMadCoyote#?frameNum=70

You can see the ball coming out of his hand right now right as Higgins is about to come out of the break

http://gfycat.com/IncompleteMadCoyote#?frameNum=100

Ball placement isn't perfect but it's good...a tad high but placed in such a way that he doesn't lead Higgins out of bounds by putting it too far out in front but doesn't risk in interception by leaving it too far behind him...places it in such a way that Higgins can use his 6'2" frame to block the CB from getting to the ball and it gives Higgins a chance to stop, cut inside, and get the first down running after the catch

I also wanted to post this throw because it's one that is very memorable for me. Grayson made a ton of great throws into tight windows during his college career and this is one that won't be remembered because it wasn't caught. However, this is during the Utah game where Grayson's protection struggled mightily and Grayson was getting knocked around a lot. And yet, the guy continued to take hit after hit trying to make plays for his team. Here's the throw:
http://gfycat.com/CommonDimpledFrog

You see that Grayson has pressure in his face again as he releases the throw. Look at that window, it's non-existent. But he creates a window by dropping the ball over two defenders in the one spot he could place it where only his WR can get it. That's his stud WR, Rashard Higgins, and if Higgins catches that ball...he's strolling into the end-zone for six. That's not just a NFL throw...that's a throw you marvel at when a NFL QB makes it. And plays like that are why I think so highly of Grayson.

I know that people are concerned about his arm. It's functional but nowhere near elite. That all said, tell me that he doesn't look like he has a NFL arm on this throw:
http://gfycat.com/SparseBowedAlligatorgar

But even better than the arm strength he showed, look what he does in the pocket. He feels the pressure, slides in the pocket to avoid it, creates a throwing lane, keeps his eyes down-field, and finds Rashard Higgins for a huge gain.

I understand that people aren't as high on this kid as I am and I understand why. He doesn't have a cannon and his release has a slight hitch in it (although it looked much improved at his Pro Day...we'll see if that carries over). But it's hard to deny his instincts in the pocket, his poise under pressure, and his ball placement.

And ultimately, I think those things are difference-makers at the next level. He has the instincts, mental acuity (or appears to), and ball placement to be a player at the next level. I want the Rams to draft him. Plus, he played for the Rams in college. Would only make sense for him to stay in Horns. ;)

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Here's a video of one:
http://gfycat.com/IncompleteMadCoyote

Higgins breaks at 8 and rolls to 10 on the out.

Here are some stills that show Grayson's timing and anticipation on the throw:
http://gfycat.com/IncompleteMadCoyote#?frameNum=60

You can see Grayson's back-foot planted with his front foot starting the stride into the throw and him pulling the ball back to start his throwing motion...this is 2-3 yards before Higgins starts to make his break

http://gfycat.com/IncompleteMadCoyote#?frameNum=70

You can see the ball coming out of his hand right now right as Higgins is about to come out of the break

http://gfycat.com/IncompleteMadCoyote#?frameNum=100

Ball placement isn't perfect but it's good...a tad high but placed in such a way that he doesn't lead Higgins out of bounds by putting it too far out in front but doesn't risk in interception by leaving it too far behind him...places it in such a way that Higgins can use his 6'2" frame to block the CB from getting to the ball and it gives Higgins a chance to stop, cut inside, and get the first down running after the catch

I also wanted to post this throw because it's one that is very memorable for me. Grayson made a ton of great throws into tight windows during his college career and this is one that won't be remembered because it wasn't caught. However, this is during the Utah game where Grayson's protection struggled mightily and Grayson was getting knocked around a lot. And yet, the guy continued to take hit after hit trying to make plays for his team. Here's the throw:
http://gfycat.com/CommonDimpledFrog

You see that Grayson has pressure in his face again as he releases the throw. Look at that window, it's non-existent. But he creates a window by dropping the ball over two defenders in the one spot he could place it where only his WR can get it. That's his stud WR, Rashard Higgins, and if Higgins catches that ball...he's strolling into the end-zone for six. That's not just a NFL throw...that's a throw you marvel at when a NFL QB makes it. And plays like that are why I think so highly of Grayson.

I know that people are concerned about his arm. It's functional but nowhere near elite. That all said, tell me that he doesn't look like he has a NFL arm on this throw:
http://gfycat.com/SparseBowedAlligatorgar

But even better than the arm strength he showed, look what he does in the pocket. He feels the pressure, slides in the pocket to avoid it, creates a throwing lane, keeps his eyes down-field, and finds Rashard Higgins for a huge gain.

I understand that people aren't as high on this kid as I am and I understand why. He doesn't have a cannon and his release has a slight hitch in it (although it looked much improved at his Pro Day...we'll see if that carries over). But it's hard to deny his instincts in the pocket, his poise under pressure, and his ball placement.

And ultimately, I think those things are difference-makers at the next level. He has the instincts, mental acuity (or appears to), and ball placement to be a player at the next level. I want the Rams to draft him. Plus, he played for the Rams in college. Would only make sense for him to stay in Horns. ;)
I'm sold. Let's go get Grayson.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Found this while on the net.

https://pff-pffanalysisltd12.netdna...oads/2015/04/cff-sig-pass-under-pressure1.png

Under Pressure
cff-sig-pass-under-pressure1.png

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Well, that solves it! We're drafting Grant Hedrick at #10!:D