GRob traded to Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That, along with never putting any emphasis on getting an offensive coaching staff that actually could coach these guys up. Fisher emphasized getting top notch coaches on defense, and the athletes taken on that side of the ball generally worked out. On offense, the best - BEST - offensive coordinator he ever brought in was Schotty ... that's another nutshell that explains the debacle of the Fisher regime.

True, but it was a reflection of his ancient offensive philosophy. Fisher has no business trying to decide over and dictate to a legitimate offensive staff.

Drafting athletes on defense has a higher chance of working out because defense is more based on reactions. Sure they need to know where to line up and their role but the opposing offense dictates the play. They more capable the defenders are to react quickly, while staying balanced and keeping their leverage, the better they will be. It takes much more than that on offense. Raw athletes are not so easy to shape into offensive players. OLine is a position that takes years to master, receiver is a very complex position nowadays, and even RBs are loaded with more responsibility than two decades ago. The offense is a very repetition and precision based game. You can't just take any old athletic freak with little experience and think he will succeed. It isn't likely.

GRob may end up being good one day but it will take a lot longer than four or five years. And it will take a lot more dedication than I think he has.

I would have tried him at DT.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Lets be honest - sometimes a high draft pick busts, for whatever team - this was one of them for the Rams. Time to focus now on the players we actually have.

I trust Kromer & McVay on this one. GRob obviously didn't pull his weight in camp, was outplayed by other guys on the roster, maybe a change of scenery will benefit him...

I'd much rather have guys that put in the effort and take the coaching, than guys with 'potential'

A 6th round pick is a bit low though, I would have hoped for a 3rd round myself - but I guess he didn't prove he was worth any more than that...

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets be honest - sometimes a high draft pick busts, for whatever team - this was one of them for the Rams. Time to focus now on the players we actually have.

I trust Kromer & McVay on this one. GRob obviously didn't pull his weight in camp, was outplayed by other guys on the roster, maybe a change of scenery will benefit him...

I'd much rather have guys that put in the effort and take the coaching, than guys with 'potential'

A 6th round pick is a bit low though, I would have hoped for a 3rd round myself - but I guess he didn't prove he was worth any more than that...
the only way we would have got a 3rd for Robinson if we shipped our 1st round pick with him

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From the 2013 Draft only 17 picks remain with their original teams. The draft is a crap shoot even in the 1st round. We missed on this pick as a lot of other teams missed on theirs.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't start believing everything J-Cole says now....

Raw player....thought you guys get that...

And the draft IS a crap shoot....but it shouldn't be as hard to shoot the crap in the top 5....hell top 10
But being raw is no excuse for effed priorities, if the story is true.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

But being raw is no excuse for effed priorities, if the story is true.
IF....
Raw means every facet of his game needs to be developed...even study habits.

Again....how is an entirely new staff evaluating a guy on the line without pads???

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/16/...troit-lions-miami-dolphins-voter-registration

by Robert Klemko

I think Greg Robinson walks into an ideal situation in Detroit after being dealt from the Rams for a sixth-round pick. The former No. 2 overall pick of the 2014 draft has been a dreadful pass blocker in his three NFL seasons, but he joins a team that has invested heavily in its offensive line, signing T.J. Lang and Rick Wagner this offseason.

Should he beat out Cyrus Kouandjio and Joe Dahl for the left tackle job (no sure thing), he’ll benefit from the quick release of Matthew Stafford and the coaching of accomplished offensive line guru Ron Prince, whose quick development of Taylor Decker turned heads in 2016.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The biggest benefit of the trade is the $3.32 mil in cap savings. G-Rob's $3.32 mil base salary is fully guaranteed so if the Lions elect to cut him this year that dead money is on them now, whereas if the Rams had cut him that would have been dead money for them. I think the timing and motivation for doing this now is about having the cap cash to extend Donald. That alone is worth getting Robinson off the books instead of cutting or manipulating another players contract to free up cash that could add to next years cap and beyond. The 6th round pick is a bonus IMO.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love how in the "woulda-coulda" scenarios, we still end up with Aaron Donald....
In the hindsight draft of 2014, we would be lucky if Donald was even there at #2....

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I love how in the "woulda-coulda" scenarios, we still end up with Aaron Donald....
In the hindsight draft of 2014, we would be lucky if Donald was even there at #2....
Yeah, and the "Mack and Donald scenario would never happen. No way would Fisher go DL twice in the first round. This was before Long and Quinn declined/injuries. And fans would've lost their minds that he was neglecting the offense.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
If the young WRs step up, could there be a fire sale for Austin? I assume his contract would prevent that, but teams can get creative with the cap. I wonder if the Pats would have interest in him? Scary to think what he could do there or a team like Atlanta if the Rams were to pull the plug on him.
I hate this line of thinking. When Tevon has the ball, he is a threat to take it all the way. I don't care if it is a gadget play, a run play, special teams or as a wr. This staff will see what he does best, coach up what they can and when they use him right. He will open things up for everyone.
In 2015 he was pretty good. Good enough that most of Gurley's best runs came by faking to Tevon and using the jet sweep as a decoy. These guys ain't getting rid of Tevon. If after this year he doesn't produce, he will be gone. Not before.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
True, but it was a reflection of his ancient offensive philosophy. Fisher has no business trying to decide over and dictate to a legitimate offensive staff.

Drafting athletes on defense has a higher chance of working out because defense is more based on reactions. Sure they need to know where to line up and their role but the opposing offense dictates the play. They more capable the defenders are to react quickly, while staying balanced and keeping their leverage, the better they will be. It takes much more than that on offense. Raw athletes are not so easy to shape into offensive players. OLine is a position that takes years to master, receiver is a very complex position nowadays, and even RBs are loaded with more responsibility than two decades ago. The offense is a very repetition and precision based game. You can't just take any old athletic freak with little experience and think he will succeed. It isn't likely.

GRob may end up being good one day but it will take a lot longer than four or five years. And it will take a lot more dedication than I think he has.

I would have tried him at DT.

Not sure I would have tried GRob at DT, but agree with everything else you wrote.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Don't start believing everything J-Cole says now....
When there's smoke, there's fire. — used to say that if people are saying that someone has done something wrong there is usually a good reason for what they are saying.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

IF....
Raw means every facet of his game needs to be developed...even study habits.

Again....how is an entirely new staff evaluating a guy on the line without pads???

They talk to him, quiz him. He didn't pass the IQ test. The minimum requirements to be on this squad. They don't have time for remedial football lessons. Not for 6mil. Save 3mil and get what you can get.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Debatable. Fisher's teams went 20 years without drafting an offensive lineman in the 1st round, suddenly he's steamrolling his own GM to get one. I read enough articles to know that's not how Fisher/Snead operated.

You don't like the decision to draft Robinson, that responsibility/failure is shared by all; the scouts who graded him, the personnel men who campaigned for him, the coaches who failed to develop him, Robinson himself, and the guy who turned the card in at the draft.

Fisher son who was riding the pine at Auburn. -- Snead also for falling in love with those Auburn guys.

--Bruuuce Allen tried to help The Rams with a silly trade.
---Then paying Tru more than any CB in the NFL this season.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
What I find interesting is on June 5th Alden Gonzalez reported Whitworth was making it his mission to help GRob

Per ESPN.com’s Alden Gonzalez

I wonder if after 10 days Whitworth said this kid hopeless and has no interest in learning or getting better.

Whitworth then went on to say that it is pretty amazing that Greg Robinson knows all the words to Lil Wayne's latest album.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Compensatory picks are compensation for losing a player to another team through free agency. You can't dump a player and be rewarded for it.
Thats what I meant. He'd go elsewhere in free agency. You'd be awarded a compensatory pick if the value of his contract was higher than another players who we acquired in free agency. That pick may have been higher than a sixth (possible but not probable); but you'd also have had Grob as a back up tackle for one year for $3.3m. I don't think its easy enough a choice either way to say one was preferable to the other really.