Greg Robinson - Rams Top Pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
Fair enough, but while you doubted Jason Smith at the time, a lot of experts didn't. And said similar things to what's being said now about Robinson. So that's why Smith comes up in comparison. If we draft Robinson, certainly we'll all hope the comparison is as baseless as you say.
Smith ran a 5.22 40, had a 24" VJ, and a 8' BJ. All below average totals for the position at an average size (6'5, 309 lbs). The idea of this kid having great physical upside is a myth. I don't care what people thought at the time, the numbers say it's not true. The numbers do say that Robinson is a freak however, with great physical upside.

Measurables are not the end all, be all of being a great O-lineman, but if you're going to compare Robinson to another OT with "upside" who busted, could you guys please make sure that OT had actual upside and not just rumored upside. Thank you.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Didn't Smith suffer a concussion or 2? Seems he changed after those happened! Seems like that's how it went down?
That's what I kept thinking with the Jason Smith parallels. He was a great prospect right up until his concussion and you can't predict something like that.

In a way, his athletic ability and size relative to technique as well as where he was likely to start may have been a greater indicator than spirit or competitiveness as to how it would have played out for the Rams. For sure, that plays in my mind that's a concern in my mind when it comes to Robinson. That and overall attitude is what really concerns me about Clowney and Manziel.

So if I'm spending a high draft pick on a tackle to play tackle, he better be able to play tackle. And sure, if he's a high pick I want someone who can play left and right. Athletic ability relates to potential only as much as the player is mentally capable of applying it. So, it's no surprise that I would prefer Matthews. He's already shown that he's capable of both being coached and executing. Another thing that continues to be lost on Matthews is that he hasn't necessarily reached his physical plateau either, he just happens to be a more complete tackle right now.

That doesn't mean that I would even be disappointed with the Rams if they picked Robinson. I would actually be ecstatic because we all know that the coach would put him in a position to excel and that management provide support for that and by that I mean they wouldn't likely put themselves in a position to have to start him day one at any position on the offensive line.

Robinson, Matthew, Mack, Watkins none of those picks would disappoint me if the Rams were unable to get what they want for the 2nd overall because I trust in Fisher and Snead. There are a lot of ways to improve this team in this draft both defensively and offensively.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the Rams resign Saffold it will change the whole focus of the draft. Say hello to Mr. Clowney if stuck at #2.

Sorry Yamahopper I could not resist;)

Once they sign Saffold Snead will have to find a starting OL'er who could play about 8 or 9 games a season when Saffold is out injured. Saffold has only been able to finish about half of the required 16 games the last three season that most NFL players play.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Sorry Yamahopper I could not resist;)

Once they sign Saffold Snead will have to find a starting OL'er who could play about 8 or 9 games a season when Saffold is out injured. Saffold has only been able to finish about half of the required 16 games the last three season that most NFL players play.
That is true. I'm a pass on Saffold guy. If we do sign him sign his replacement too.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
That's what I kept thinking with the Jason Smith parallels. He was a great prospect right up until his concussion and you can't predict something like that.

In a way, his athletic ability and size relative to technique as well as where he was likely to start may have been a greater indicator than spirit or competitiveness as to how it would have played out for the Rams. For sure, that plays in my mind that's a concern in my mind when it comes to Robinson. That and overall attitude is what really concerns me about Clowney and Manziel.

So if I'm spending a high draft pick on a tackle to play tackle, he better be able to play tackle. And sure, if he's a high pick I want someone who can play left and right. Athletic ability relates to potential only as much as the player is mentally capable of applying it. So, it's no surprise that I would prefer Matthews. He's already shown that he's capable of both being coached and executing. Another thing that continues to be lost on Matthews is that he hasn't necessarily reached his physical plateau either, he just happens to be a more complete tackle right now.

That doesn't mean that I would even be disappointed with the Rams if they picked Robinson. I would actually be ecstatic because we all know that the coach would put him in a position to excel and that management provide support for that and by that I mean they wouldn't likely put themselves in a position to have to start him day one at any position on the offensive line.

Robinson, Matthew, Mack, Watkins none of those picks would disappoint me if the Rams were unable to get what they want for the 2nd overall because I trust in Fisher and Snead. There are a lot of ways to improve this team in this draft both defensively and offensively.
My concern with this draft is the Rams get quality o line depth. Hated the way they played against Seattle!!!!!!!!!!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Didn't Smith suffer a concussion or 2? Seems he changed after those happened! Seems like that's how it went down?

Probably sounds like I was suggesting that Smith didn't have desire, but that is not what I meant. Just saying in general that it can happen. The money can get the best of some players like it did PacMan

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There are no guarantees, but it shouldn't be too hard to recognize during interviews and discussions...as long as you have the right people observing or conducting it. As we all know every player is coached up to present themselves well during an interview,but much like a behavioral job interview,you've got to ask the right open ended questions and expect the kid to give you specific examples from life experience. Its not hard to tell(IMO) if a guy is genuine or full of crap. It's not 100% but i wonder how many staff's/scouts look deeply into one's competitive spirit,rather than just "Is he a good kid?"

I have some background in hiring and interviewing so it interests me.

I think it is very difficult to figure out. From my past experience some of the best interviewers were the worst employees. And vice versa. Then I have had bad interviewers turn out as bad as I expected. Unfortunately for me I interviewed but seldom had the say on which people I hired.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think it will be Robinson. If nothing else Snisher beleive our receivers will be up to par in time. Lots of unanswered questions in our WR'ing core and Watkins doesn't answer all of them. K

Time for Sam and Space for Stacy = Championsip

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Smith ran a 5.22 40, had a 24" VJ, and a 8' BJ. All below average totals for the position at an average size (6'5, 309 lbs). The idea of this kid having great physical upside is a myth. I don't care what people thought at the time, the numbers say it's not true. The numbers do say that Robinson is a freak however, with great physical upside.

Measurables are not the end all, be all of being a great O-lineman, but if you're going to compare Robinson to another OT with "upside" who busted, could you guys please make sure that OT had actual upside and not just rumored upside. Thank you.

Tony Mandarich?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That is true. I'm a pass on Saffold guy. If we do sign him sign his replacement too.

Sad fact if you sign Rodger Saffold you would be very smart to resign both journeymen/WWC's Chris Williams & Shelley Smith so they could cover the OL posts while Saffold is out injured......CW as the swing OT and SS as the OG......maybe we just need to bring in a young cadre of 2014 draft prospects & forget about all those free agents & those high rental units falling apart on us.

jjab360

Legend
Tony Mandarich?
Good one, Mandarich was definitely a physical freak of the Robinson mold. If Robinson takes steroids, gets injured, develops an insane amount of character issues, and becomes a drug and alcohol addict, I'm sure he'll fail out of the league just like Mandarich did.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Good one, Mandarich was definitely a physical freak of the Robinson mold. If Robinson takes steroids, gets injured, develops an insane amount of character issues, and becomes a drug and alcohol addict, I'm sure he'll fail out of the league just like Mandarich did.

I used a ? It was off the top of my head.

For every good example with similarities you can probably come up with a bad one,just saying.

jjab360

Legend
I used a ? It was off the top of my head.

For every good example with similarities you can probably come up with a bad one,just saying.
I know. It's just that list of O-linemen who were physical freaks and were studs in the NFL far outweighs the list of physical freaks who were busts.

And before you ask, no I don't have the stats on that one, you're just going to have to take my word for it lol.

A55VA6

Legend
Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreaux talking with Auburn OT Greg Robinson at his Pro Day.
Bh5uPICIgAALzuU.jpg

RamBill

Legend
Rams meet with Greg Robinson at Auburn pro day

By Ryan Van Bibber @justRVB on Mar 4 2014, 2:49p 3

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/3/4/5470892/rams-greg-robinson-auburn-pro-day-2014-nfl-draft

Bh5t-b-CAAA5j0Y.jpg

The Rams sent a very special envoy to chat with a potential first-round pick.

It's no secret that the St. Louis Rams are doing their homework on Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson. He's the most frequent choice for the team in mock draft across the internet, and it lines up nicely with the report that the team conducted a formal interview with him at the Combine. On Tuesday, the Rams took another opportunity to meet with Robinson at Auburn's pro day.

Robinson actually stood on his Combine numbers. He ran a 4.92 in the 40, benced 32 reps of 225 pounds, had a 113 inch broad jump and stood out in almost every other drill as well.

The thinking on Robinson is that he's the most talented tackle in the draft, at least the one with the highest ceiling. Most think he can start right away on the right side, given his impressive run blocking, and develop as a pass blocker before taking over as a franchise left tackle. That actually would work well for the Rams, who could let Robinson learn this year, and then jettison Jake Long and his contract in 2015 ... or even wait until 2016.

A55VA6

Legend
Robinson is everything the Rams need on the O-Line. I like him more and more each time I watch tape.

jjab360

Legend
Robinson is everything the Rams need on the O-Line. I like him more and more each time I watch tape.
Definitely a tone setter. The type of player that can help establish the identity that Snead was talking about in interviews. Our ace in the hole against some of these physical NFC West D-lines.

Ram_of_Old

Very little downside to a Robinson pick. The OL is the hardest place to keep quality players.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Totally agree! If the Rams can get Robinson with their top pick and then either WR Mike Evans or DT Aaron Donald (DT might not be a Rams major position of need but I think he might be too good to pass up at this point!) I will be a very happy Rams Fan!