Greg Robinson on the bench to start the season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Any word if he'll occupy the LT or LG spot on the bench or are they playing it on a snap by snap basis?

Quinn didn't even dress first game if I'm not mistaken?

Still if the Jags got on the phone in a few minutes and proposed a trade: Bortles for Robinson I'd do it.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any word if he'll occupy the LT or LG spot on the bench or are they playing it on a snap by snap basis?

Quinn didn't even dress first game if I'm not mistaken?

Still if the Jags got on the phone in a few minutes and proposed a trade: Bortles for Robinson I'd do it.

Exactly. I also think Donaldson was a player we did not need

Pho Kadat

Rookie
I've got no problem with this. I think Saffold, Joseph, Barksdale, and Long are better technique-wise than Robinson at this stage in the rookie's career. However, given Long's and Saffold's injury history, I believe we'll be seeing plenty of the rook this year.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Yeah, this isn't very good news. All summer to learn audibles and who to block, etc? #2 pick overall (that's not a QB) and can't start the season? Dang man, he better turn out to be the mauler that we know he is ... and soon. We were COUNTING on him for our run first offense.

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
I think it has more to do with Joseph playing like his old self as much as GR and his rookie mistakes. He'll come around and things will start clicking eventually. He's not J Smith....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
People forget Orlando Pace only started 9 games as a rookie. Granted, he missed training camp, but he was also more pro-ready coming out of college.

Give the man some time.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I think it has more to do with Joseph playing like his old self as much as GR and his rookie mistakes. He'll come around and things will start clicking eventually. He's not J Smith....

I was just thinking how awesome it would be if someone's true name was Mark Mywords. :) Agree?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yeah, this isn't very good news. All summer to learn audibles and who to block, etc? #2 pick overall (that's not a QB) and can't start the season? Dang man, he better turn out to be the mauler that we know he is ... and soon. We were COUNTING on him for our run first offense.
I think the coaching staff threw too much at him, trying to teach him to play OT in the NFL and then trying to teach him to play G, which he has never done. They should have just put him in at G from day one and taught him how to play there. It's never an easy transition from college to the pros, and it's even harder when the coaching staff gives you too much to think about.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Guess I have a different look at this situation. The two positions that this 21 yr old OL'er is playing is OLT & OLG......Saffold looks to start @ the OLG post....Saffold penance to always get injured period should make most of any concern for GR not getting to play well....a good waste of concern & silly. Saffold was injured in his first series in his first pre season game last season. Missed the entire preseason. Then was injured in his first series of his 2nd regular season game and never started another full game @ ORT again. But that was not it for injuries in 2013 he did get helped carried off the field from a first series concussion in game 17 while playing OLT.

Saffold followed up on that 2013 performance early this season when he was injured very early in camp and remained hurt till the 3rd pre season game then once again like usual Saffold gets injured in his first pre season action in the first quarter all over again & was has not been seen on the field since. Saffold may be the most often injured 26 yr old OL in the NFL.

The other post GR has worked heavy at is OLT post. Jake Long plays there.....Jake Long has had end of the season major surgery for the last three seasons...Jake appeared for one half of play in four pre season games...his half game performance was .....I'll be nice here.....real ugly where large massive chunks of rust went flying all over the field. From that performance alone I have no ideal if Jake Long can play OLT effectually anymore after so many major surgeries & the most recent MCL & ACL injury in December of 2013. Would seem that everyone just expects Long to take up his excellent play @ OLT where he left off in game 16. Myself ? I have no ideal if he can retain his old level of play as most think. GR could get an early call to go to work there too.

IMO it would have made total sense if Snead had used all twelve of our 2014 draft picks on OL'ers with the injury history of our starting OL.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Can we all keep in perspective that this article is from the TST. Not exactly the most informed group when it comes to the Rams.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
I've got no problem with this. I think Saffold, Joseph, Barksdale, and Long are better technique-wise than Robinson at this stage in the rookie's career. However, given Long's and Saffold's injury history, I believe we'll be seeing plenty of the rook this year.
Agree

SierraRam

Recreational User
After we picked up Joseph, I started thinking about our "best 5" a little differently. The preseason games confirmed that GROB is not quite ready. I wanted Robinson. We drafted him #2 and put him at guard between two pro-bowlers so he could "start day one." At least that's the way I remember it...

In no way do I think this is a bad thing. It's just a little disappointing, but DJ is playing better right now. Greg will come around a be a great player for a long time.

Can we all keep in perspective that this article is from the TST. Not exactly the most informed group when it comes to the Rams.

Oh yeah, and then there's this fact!

A55VA6

Legend
Some of the greatest NFL players didn't start many games their rookie year. Give him time to adjust.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'd imagine he was getting reps at LT in case Jake Long suffers to what Sam Bradford did.

It's not a big issue as far as playing at LT goes.

Also let the man develop.

Some of the greatest NFL players didn't start many games their rookie year. Give him time to adjust.

Who was the last number 2 overall pick not to start game 1? Everyone from 2008 did, but can't find game by game data dating back further.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Saffold will be hurt before the bye week. GRob will be in there soon enough.
You can bust on me all you want for being negative. Bookmark this post...I DARE YA!