Greg Olson QB Coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It's interesting that he'd pass on the OC job in Buffalo (and probably a bigger paycheck) to take a position coach role in LA.

Would you rather live in Buffalo or Los Angeles ? I too would take a pay cut if that were the choice. Still, Olson gets to work with a top young developmental QB in Goff who is secretly praying his OL does move to Buffalo.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I have my complaints about Olson. He's very knowledgeable about the WCO and will get Goff prepared mentally. My complaint is that he doesn't like to focus on QB mechanics. That means that Goff will have to get his own private coaching if he wants to improve his mechanics. Personally, I'd rather have someone who is more anal about mechanics. But I'll trust McVay.
But aren't Goff's physical mechanics pretty solid already? I mean, i would say that of all the top QB's that were drafted this year his mechanics were near the top if not the best. Footwork, release etc.

I'd want a QB coach for Goff who can focus more on the mental aspects and prepare him mentally for a pro style offense. He was clearly overwhelmed at times. His already solid mechanics appear to have suffered because of that IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So much for the idea that at McVay's age he wont be able to recruit a solid staff

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I'm curious, did Olson tell Bortles to not work with a certain QB coach or to not work with any QB coach?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But aren't Goff's physical mechanics pretty solid already? I mean, i would say that of all the top QB's that were drafted this year his mechanics were near the top if not the best. Footwork, release etc.

I'd want a QB coach for Goff who can focus more on the mental aspects and prepare him mentally for a pro style offense. He was clearly overwhelmed at times. His already solid mechanics appear to have suffered because of that IMO.

Yes. But Goff's mechanics can always get better. He was by far the best QB in the draft in terms of mechanics, but even guys like Brady and Matt Ryan have used offseason time to work with coaches like Tom House to perfect their mechanics. You can always get better. Which is why I would have preferred a coach who is a bit more meticulous when it comes to that aspect of the game.

At the end of the day, though, if Goff wants to work on that part of his game, he can find outside coaching. I hope he does. His mechanics are quite good, but they can get better.

WestCoastRam

Legend
My guess is that Goff's dropback mechanics were poor - he hasn't really had to do it. Will prob need work on that. Someone somewhere said that McVay wants to change his release point. We'll see...

@OldSchool, there was an article that I can't jump on the internets right now to find that said something to the point that Bortles mentioned how Olson and the people he worked with his mechanics on didn't see eye to eye or had a falling out and Olson may have given him a push to throw to his receivers in Jacksonville last summer vs going to the mechanics guy...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My guess is that Goff's dropback mechanics were poor - he hasn't really had to do it. Will prob need work on that. Someone somewhere said that McVay wants to change his release point. We'll see...

@OldSchool, there was an article that I can't jump on the internets right now to find that said something to the point that Bortles mentioned how Olson and the people he worked with his mechanics on didn't see eye to eye or had a falling out and Olson may have given him a push to throw to his receivers in Jacksonville last summer vs going to the mechanics guy...
Only reason I asked was if Blake was told to not work with a certain guy and then ended up not working with anybody then that's on Blake and IMO is stupid of him. He can work with anybody he wishes in the off season. And there isn't a thing Olson or McVay or anybody can do t stop him.

If Olson told him not to work with any coaches then that's stupid of Olson. Working with a QB coach and his receivers in the off season is imperative.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The attraction of LA could be a reason. Nicer weather in Cali than in New York

Apropos of whatever... S'why I live here. I'm STL born and bred but moved to LA years and years ago. The weather out here is spectacular (except for the drought and these recent rains - which we need for the drought!)... that being said, I visited STL this December and kept driving by all the houses that I'd be able to afford there as opposed to living in the hovel I live in here. Got a 'lil teary eyed!

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Build A Winner "ONE PIECE AT A TIME"

sean-150x112.jpg

Head Coach
Sean McVay (redskins)

Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips (broncos)

Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel (rams)

Quarterbacks Coach Greg Olson (jaguars)

Linebackers Coach Joe Barry (redskins)

Defensive Line Coach Bill Johnson (saints)

Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer (bills) rumored ?

Offensive Coordinator

Wide Receivers Coach

Tight Ends Coach

Running Backs Coach

Secondary Coach

Strength & Conditioning Coach

sub-level assistants will be added to help the senior position coaches.

puzzle.jpg

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The attraction of LA could be a reason. Nicer weather in Cali than in New York
And they'll tax his eyeballs out in either place so why not take the sunny weather?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Build A Winner "ONE PIECE AT A TIME"

sean-150x112.jpg

Head Coach
Sean McVay (redskins)

Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips (broncos)

Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel (rams)

Quarterbacks Coach Greg Olson (jaguars)

Linebackers Coach Joe Barry (redskins)

Defensive Line Coach Bill Johnson (saints)

Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer (bills) rumored ?

Offensive Coordinator

Wide Receivers Coach

Tight Ends Coach

Running Backs Coach

Secondary Coach

Strength & Conditioning Coach

sub-level assistants will be added to help the senior position coaches.

puzzle.jpg
Thanks for this! I was needing a list to put things together.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Found this on reddit.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blo...b-derek-carr-reveals-why-greg-olson-was-right

The Greg Olson hire wasn’t about yards or points for Jaguars coach Gus Bradley.

It was about protecting quarterback Blake Bortles. That was evident from my conversation with Oakland quarterback Derek Carr on Wednesday afternoon. Carr spent his rookie season working under Olson, the Oakland offensive coordinator last season.

When Bradley hired Olson last week, the first stat that stood out was that the Raiders were last in total offense.

Carr says there’s another stat to focus in on. One that makes more sense for the Jaguars considering the team surrendered a franchise-worst 71 sacks last season.

Despite facing nearly the heaviest amount of blitzes in the league last season, Carr was only sacked 24 times.

“Coach Olson taught me so much about protections,” Carr said. “We were one of the top two or three most-pressured teams in the NFL while still being one or two in least amount of sacks. His big deal is eliminating hits on the quarterback. That’s something that Gus probably liked when interviewing him. I’m sure he wanted to eliminate hits on their franchise guy.”

Bortles was sacked 55 times last season. Carr already has an idea of how their first few days of working together will go.

“Day One, as soon as Blake gets with coach Olson, all they’re going to talk about is protection,” Carr said. “All they’ll talk is blitzes.”

Carr threw for 3,207 yards with 21 touchdowns and 12 interceptions last season in 16 starts, after being selected in the second round (36th overall). He believes working with Olson will be beneficial as he tries to build on his first season.

“Being under coach Olson and learning from him, I’ll have a protection plan for the rest of my life,” Carr said. “Just spending that one year with him. There won’t be a look or a pressure that I’ll see where I have no clue what to do. I’ll know exactly how I want to pick it up and exactly how to pick it up, because of how he taught me and what he taught me.”

Bortles reached out to Carr to get a sense of Olson. Bortles threw for 2,908 yards with 11 touchdowns and 17 picks last season.

“Blake’s going to love him,” Carr said. “I talked to Blake about him and told him ‘Dude, you got a good one,’ because I love coach Olson. He’s a friend I’ll have for the rest of my life. I think Blake will really enjoy learning from him.”