GOT Season6

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/kristian-nairn-thinks-hodor-is-the-better-man

Kristian Nairn Thinks Hodor Is the Better Man
May 23, 2016/By Making Game of Thrones Blog

The man who carried Bran on his shoulders says everything Hodor never could.

HBO: When did you learn about Hodor's fate? Did you get "the call" from series creators David Benioff and Dan Weiss?

Kristian Nairn: Actually, it was a three-stage thing. First I heard from friends, people who had read the script, some other cast members. I think I said laughingly, "So did I survive?” They just gave me a look, and I was like, "Whaat?" Then I had the call from David and Dan, the fateful call everyone gets when your number’s up. Then I read the script – which I loved. I loved the scene. I can’t think of a better way to go, really. He doesn’t give up. He never lets go of that door. For all costs, he’s going to stop them from getting to Bran.

HBO: Do you think Hodor resents Bran for what’s transpired or taking over at that moment?

Kristian Nairn: No. Hodor does not resent – not my Hodor. He doesn’t have that emotion. I don’t think he's very fond of the warging, but he sees the bigger picture. He’s not the most intelligent guy, but I think he can sense when things are important. He knows whatever Bran does is essential; it gets them out of some pretty tight situations. I think he’s more sad about what happened because he’s not going to see his friends again. But he also knows if he doesn’t hold that door for a second longer, they’re going to die.

HBO: How did Hodor of Season 1 evolve to the Season 6 one we've come to know?

Kristian Nairn: People always joke, "Oh you’ve got the easiest role, you don’t have any lines to learn." Anyone who knows anything about acting has been like, "You actually have one of the hardest roles." Because you have to articulate so much without words. But even me, after being off for a season, I just assumed it would be easy to drop back into character: Read the scripts, see what the flavor of the scene would be, and that would get me back into character.

But no, it wasn’t like that at all, it was incredibly difficult actually after that year off. I learned to appreciate that Hodor has taken on a separate personality from me. He’s almost a different version, maybe a better version of me.

HBO: In what sense?

Kristian Nairn: He always puts others first. I don’t think he has a bad bone in his body. He’s just unaffected by the s**t that’s going on around him. Even when things were bad during the traveling, he always had a smile ready. It wouldn’t matter what he had to do, he was always happy to do it. I’m not like that. I’m horrible, I’m lazy. I resent people asking me to do things. I would like to be a little more like him.

HBO: When you and Isaac Hempstead-Wright [Bran] came back for Season 6, did you have to work to reconnect?

Kristian Nairn: Isaac and I are very close so we kept in touch during that year off. We saw each other a few times. We kept in touch by text. Whenever I’m in London, we'd meet for dinner. We're always in touch, it’s not just a working relationship. I think we’re friends for life.

HBO: Just like Bran and Hodor.

Kristian Nairn: Until they’re separated by death!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DoBY8M_bCg

HBO: When we spoke to Isaac, he mentioned breaking your iPhone when you met. Good to know you don’t hold a grudge.

Kristian Nairn: I wouldn’t say grudges weren’t maintained. In Season 2, I think I hit his head off a tree. That might have been a bit of payback. I’ll get him someday. I never forget. The North remembers and so does Hodor.

HBO: What hopes do you have for Bran now that he’s on the brink of change?

Kristian Nairn: I think he’s a pretty poor student, to be honest. His studies to be the new Three-Eyed Raven, or whatever his future is – he needs to take it more seriously. At the moment, he’s more interested in seeing replays of the past.

HBO: Is there a time you’d like to have seen in GoT history?

Kristian Nairn: What it was like when there was a Targaryen on the throne. Obviously it was a bit crazy. To see how different things were in King's Landing when the Mad King was there, the time of Robert the Usurper. That whole time is interesting politically.

HBO: What scenes resonated with you over the past few years?

Kristian Nairn: I did love that scene in the cave. And I really did enjoy the one in the birthing hut, at Craster's Keep when we were taken captive. Bran has to use his warging powers to free us. That was a complex scene to play. I was really playing two people at the same time – Hodor, and Bran in between both somewhere. As an actor, that’s a dream come true.

HBO: If Hodor could express himself, is there anything he’d like to have said to Bran?

Kristian Nairn: If it were me answering, I would have said "no" a lot more: "Hey, pick me up." "No." I think he would have just said, "Take care of yourself little guy. Be safe."

HBO: Did you take any souvenirs to remember the experience?

Kristian Nairn: Taking a souvenir from the set is theft, and is frowned upon! I have a piece of the door, which broke off. That’s it, really. I just have my scars to remind me. It’s been such an amazing ride. I never dreamt it would take me to the places it’s taken me, the people I've met, and got a chance to work with... It’s been a dream come true and continues to create ripples in my life.

HBO: If you could warg into any character on the show, who would it be and why?

Kristian Nairn: I’d liked to warg into Daenerys because I want to see what it’s like to control the dragon. I think would do it better – nor would I leave them locked up in a cage; I would have them roaming free. I don’t care about babies.

HBO: Choose your weapon: magic, whip, sword or spear?

Kristian Nairn: Without a shadow of a doubt, magic. I play World of Warcraft. I always play a character who wields magic. With magic, you could control someone who maybe wields a spear or sword. You can do everything long range, and don’t have to be there covered in blood and gore.

HBO: If you were king, which character would you choose for your Hand?

Kristian Nairn: I'd definitely choose Brienne. She’s steady and loyal and she’s also a badass. Those are three qualities you’d want as a Hand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was wondering just what seeing Willis warned into Hodor means in the big scheme of things. Is it almost an epiphany for Bran that every part of everyone's life is directed toward a future goal. Nothing should look to him as though it is by chance any longer. What I don't understand though is who warned Willis into Hodor? Did the Three-Eyed Raven do it from afar? Bran wasn't around at the time.

Or did this show the ability Bran had to affect the future by manipulating the past. When Willis was Warged it was when he was a boy. So, does that mean Bran's views of history actually are things he can and did manipulate before he knew any of it was possible? Before he existed? That means everything is predetermined right? This means he could go back to the time that the White Walkers were created and stop them from ever existing, or instantly end their existence.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was wondering just what seeing Willis warned into Hodor means in the big scheme of things. Is it almost an epiphany for Bran that every part of everyone's life is directed toward a future goal. Nothing should look to him as though it is by chance any longer. What I don't understand though is who warned Willis into Hodor? Did the Three-Eyed Raven do it from afar? Bran wasn't around at the time.

Or did this show the ability Bran had to affect the future by manipulating the past. When Willis was Warged it was when he was a boy. So, does that mean Bran's views of history actually are things he can and did manipulate before he knew any of it was possible? Before he existed? That means everything is predetermined right? This means he could go back to the time that the White Walkers were created and stop them from ever existing, or instantly end their existence.
Chris-Rock-HUH-WTF.gif

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And you are not alone for sure.
Not saying I don't like it, but if given a choice there are other shows I'd watch first.

This primarily comes from the book series. If you watch the show, you need to have someone who has read the series by your side to help explain things, otherwise the show wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

I've read them and I pause it at least 5 times an episode to help explain thing to my fiancée, who loved the show before we met but hasn't read the books.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I got really irked by this whole situation.

This is beyond where the books have gone, but I interpreted it as one of those infinite time loop things....like, when this moment is played in time, Bran was in the future but looking into the past and thus he is in fact the one that addled Willis' brain by impressing upon him the importance of "holding the door".

On the flip side, another option I guess is that Bran and Hodor were together in the present while Bran was viewing him in the past - maybe when that happens it messes the person up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
On the flip side, another option I guess is that Bran and Hodor were together in the present while Bran was viewing him in the past - maybe when that happens it messes the person up.

Maybe. It makes sense in a way. So Bran was destined to do this to Hodor. There was no changing it. It already happened before Bran was born.....except he did it in the future. Tough to wrap your head around that one.

Psycho_X

Legend
Maybe. It makes sense in a way. So Bran was destined to do this to Hodor. There was no changing it. It already happened before Bran was born.....except he did it in the future. Tough to wrap your head around that one.

Aye this is what I viewed it as. Like the three eyed raven said "The past is set, the ink is dry" or whatever the exact quote was. Bran technically can't change the past... the past has already happened but Willis becoming Hodor happened because Bran accidentally warged into Willis' head while commanding Hodor to hold the door. So yes Bran affected the past but it didn't change anything in the timeline because it was always meant to be. Hodor was Hodor before Bran ever fried past Hodor's brain. So it's not like Bran can go back and warn his father about being beheaded or let anyone know because if he had his father would still be alive. So whatever Bran may do in his future in the past has already happened and will still happen when Bran gets to that point in time. But the ramifications would already have begun unfolding before Bran was even born.

The perfect paradox.

So in theory we might find out that Bran has been responsible for a lot of things in the GoT world he just hasn't arrived at the moment in the future where he sets it in motion in the past.

lol

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This primarily comes from the book series. If you watch the show, you need to have someone who has read the series by your side to help explain things, otherwise the show wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

I've read them and I pause it at least 5 times an episode to help explain thing to my fiancée, who loved the show before we met but hasn't read the books.
Truer words have never spoken as I watched the most recent episode and have no idea what's going on

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Aye this is what I viewed it as. Like the three eyed raven said "The past is set, the ink is dry" or whatever the exact quote was. Bran technically can't change the past... the past has already happened but Willis becoming Hodor happened because Bran accidentally warged into Willis' head while commanding Hodor to hold the door. So yes Bran affected the past but it didn't change anything in the timeline because it was always meant to be. Hodor was Hodor before Bran ever fried past Hodor's brain. So it's not like Bran can go back and warn his father about being beheaded or let anyone know because if he had his father would still be alive. So whatever Bran may do in his future in the past has already happened and will still happen when Bran gets to that point in time. But the ramifications would already have begun unfolding before Bran was even born.

The perfect paradox.

So in theory we might find out that Bran has been responsible for a lot of things in the GoT world he just hasn't arrived at the moment in the future where he sets it in motion in the past.

lol

I wonder if Bran will learn how to go in the past and change it. Then he could go back to the time that the WhiteWalkers were created and stop it. But that would have an enormous ripple affect.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if Bran will learn how to go in the past and change it. Then he could go back to the time that the WhiteWalkers were created and stop it. But that would have an enormous ripple affect.
Or go back to the point where he doesn't fall off the ledge and break his legs.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Or go back to the point where he doesn't fall off the ledge and break his legs.

I wonder if he is just the next 'Three eyed Raven' or if he is much more powerful than the one before him because the guy who was teaching him didn't seem to be capable of anything but sitting there watching the past and future. I don't think he could stop the White Walkers if he wanted to. However it sounds like Bran will be very instrumental in stopping them in the future. So maybe that makes Bran the 'Three Brass Balled Raven'.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's very interesting to think about the possibilities. The stark kids that are left seem like they will play a big role...

Sansa - will likely unite the North and that will be the first line of defense against the White Walkers when they attack..

Jon Snow - the figurehead along with Dany, he will probably ride a dragon at some point since he's (most likely) half Stark/half Targaryen

Arya - has some skills now and seems like she will escape and go back home

Bran - the 3 eyed Raven....of import but we don't really know how/why - obviously has some powers that threaten the Walkers or else they wouldn't have shown up to kill the last 3 eyed Raven

Thinking about the eventual final battle, it would seem like the only difficulty will be uniting all of the forces together against the White Walkers....once that happens, the Walkers are toast (pun intended) as 3 dragons alone can easily fly over and just burn them all. On the flip side, the Walkers would absolutely demolish the human race without the assistance of dragons..

If these "sides" were football teams it would be like:

Human race as it is now - high school football team

White Walkers - Alabama

Dragons - Denver Broncos

Which kind of takes the fun out of however this series ends...there's no doubt as to the outcome of these matchups, only in how they end up taking place and when.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Truer words have never spoken as I watched the most recent episode and have no idea what's going on

There are some REALLY good recaps on youtube...most of which last around 20 minutes, but they help you tie in not only what happened in the books, but what happened in prior episodes of the show that you probably forgot about.

This is my favorite:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr4Qx_xiFjI

But it takes them a while to get it up, so this is actually last weeks episode.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There are some REALLY good recaps on youtube...most of which last around 20 minutes, but they help you tie in not only what happened in the books, but what happened in prior episodes of the show that you probably forgot about.

This is my favorite:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr4Qx_xiFjI

But it takes them a while to get it up, so this is actually last weeks episode.

I can understand why that reviewer is your favorite. He does an excellent job.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Okay--I am just really getting tired of the whole Arya story. It takes up so much time and just seems to be spinning in circles. She doesn't seem to progress anywhere. And tonight? I hope there is a big payoff with her somewhere--to justify the amount of time spent on her.

Psycho_X

Legend
Okay--I am just really getting tired of the whole Arya story. It takes up so much time and just seems to be spinning in circles. She doesn't seem to progress anywhere. And tonight? I hope there is a big payoff with her somewhere--to justify the amount of time spent on her.

I agree, I anointed her the new Daenerys earlier this season because it seems like they know where she fits in the end or finishing acts but don't quite know what to do with her in the mean time so just kind of treading water at the moment.

I'm assuming the long winded sequences of her getting her ass kicked over and over again is to let us get a really good (too much really) sense of how tough she will be because of it. But then she got stabbed repeatedly and I just sat there in shock probably more than any moment in this show so far because I just couldn't imagine why that's how her story would go. Obviously too much time has been spent with JUST her and no other characters in this storyline so I'm assuming she'll survive and eventually when she finally gets her ass back to westeros she's going to be a bad ass. But yeah this part of her path has drug on waaaaay too much. Which is a shame because Arya is awesome and I also really like Jaqen H'ghar but he has been wasted as well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope they reunite her with the hound and the two of them kill everyone

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theringer.com/melisandre-indie-pop-album-6354381a1ef5#.sxkr4igfu

Melisandre’s Very Real Indie-Pop Album
Carice van Houten, better known as the Red Woman, has a music career, too
Rob Harvilla
Staff Writer, The Ringer

1*YUo9RJUbH19tho3P58EIEA.gif

Whether you’re a book-devouring Game of Thrones maester or a clueless TV-show-only neophyte with no damn idea who the Blackfish is, you might be aware that Melisandre, a.k.a. the Red Woman, a.k.a. Dutch actress Carice van Houten, is also an indie-pop singer of some (Dutch, mostly) renown.

In light of her character’s recent upgrade from “frequently topless one-note fount of evil” to “frequently topless and apparently 400-year-old fount of compelling moral ambiguity, but at least the whole Jon Snow resurrection thing was dope,” let us now revisit her 2012 album See You on the Ice. (To dispense with this immediately: She is not topless on the cover, though she is, basically,pantsless.)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu9NJ0D8LOg

Your exposure here might be limited to bemusedly watching the video for “Emily,” which is a remarkably goofy rom-com sorta deal with a cheerful Phoenix-esque guitar riff and a cool bell-motif thing happening. But that song’s somewhat of a red herring — almost a trap, really, much the same way as, uh [Googles furiously] Walder Frey’s implied invocation of guest right led the Starks to their doom at the Red Wedding.

Most of the rest of See You on the Ice is a weird, arty, Goth-haunted, torch-y exploration of shallow love and deep space and the comfort of eternity. (See You in the Ice would’ve been a cooler title, science-wise.) There is cause for concern when doomy, symphonic opener “Siren or the Sea” cranks up and Carice unveils a dainty, bright, Regina Spektor– or Ingrid Michaelson–indebted vocal style, twee and overenunciated, as though she’s knitting every syllable its own cute little sweater.

But halfway through, an unnerving burst of Nine Inch Nails aggro synths kick over all the furniture in the room, and her voice deepens and darkens, and happily, your sense of normalcy and peace never quite recovers.

Weird album, man. “Something Funny” is an operatic ode to embracing the unfeeling randomness of the universe (”There is no plan, there is no grand design”) as a means of overcoming your damn commitment issues (“What’s in the way of giving into love?”). The lyrics make up for the ukulele. “Recovery Mission” is an alt-country shuffler with bizarrely soothing spoken-word verses:

They found water on Mars
Not much, but, surely substantial
About a pound of frozen tears’ worth
And as such was purely circumstantial

She also duets with ANOHNI (!) on the eerie “Particle of Light” and cosmic-folk lifer Howe Gelb (!!) on “Broken Shells,” both of whom would make excellent GoT characters, and both of whom sound like they’d warged into direwolves for the occasion. (Don’t @ me, maesters, in re: the plausibility of this.) If PJ Harvey had put out this album (with Air producing, maybe, somehow?), your coolest and most insufferable friend would still be talking about it.

If you’re coming into this thing with, uh, the average GoT viewer’s thirst for one-handed prurient thrills, please proceed directly to “You.Me.Bed.Now.,” which does indeed feature Carice breathily invoking the title, over and over and over, during the chorus, amid nervous drums and weepy strings, like a livelier, more priapic version of Drake’s Views.

From there she descends into full-on jazzy supper-club fatalism, the lyrical mundanity of “End of the World” — ”I fed both your cats / And I watered your plants” — undercut by the intergalactic yearning in her voice. As a bald attempt at writing her own “My Funny Valentine,” she could’ve done worse, and you definitely would’ve. Let her live (for hundreds of years, apparently).

Final analysis: This is a better Lana Del Rey record than the last Lana Del Rey record, or at least you’ll nod off slower. The loping melody to “Time” is currently stuck in my head; the string blowout in the middle there is lush and cerebral and, probably, expensive. Maybe she got a Dutch grant of some sort, or maybe she pledges allegiance to, y’know, a higher power. I wish her and Guy Pearce (!!!) the best of luck with their imminent baby (!!!!). And yes, that joke has already been made, along with all the other ones.