Gordon: Relocation talk reduces Rams draft intrigue

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Gordon: Relocation talk reduces Rams draft intrigue

• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_418708bb-56c1-529f-950d-98b359f1e29d.html

While most pro football fans were gearing up for their team’s big games in recent years, Rams fans have fired up for the annual NFL draft.

Each spring they channeled their inner Mel Kiper Jr.-Todd McShay personnel debate. They watched college all-star games, tuned into the scouting combine, pored over draft projections and wondered which collegiate stars would bring hope to Rams Park and break the cycle of despair.

Recent drafts have been way more entertaining than the actual games. The remarkable Robert Griffin III heist made the Rams a major draft story three years running.

While the Rams have remained predictable with their game strategy — especially on offense — they have pulled some clever surprises at the draft. Last year’s class was one of the best St. Louis has ever seen.

But that fun is done. As preparations for the 2015 draft intensify, many Rams fans merely shrug.

This team seems unlikely to captivate us with its draft maneuvers. Les Snead spent No. 4 and No. 6 picks to add run-stuffing safety Mark Barron to his stack of run-stuffing safeties last season, so the team lacks the volume of picks needed to get highly creative.

Then there is the larger issue of the Rams’ future here, or lack thereof. Owner Stan Kroenke is trying to move to team to Los Angeles. Many fans view the 2015 season as a farewell tour, given the momentum Kroenke’s Inglewood project is gaining.

Yes, there’s a chance St. Louis could emerge from this chaos with a new stadium and a place in the league. But local fans become more alienated by the day, so they spend less time wondering which 2015 additions could make a difference by 2018.

Right now Rams fans in Southern California are more interested in that topic.

The Rams’ offseason activity has added to the local indifference. Their free agent priority appears to be the interior offensive line. One of their top draft priorities is offensive tackle.

Injury-battered Jake Long was another in the long line of expensive free agent busts for the Rams, and the offensive line is crying for fresh legs.

Iowa offensive tackle Brandon Scherff is a person of interest to the Rams, assuming he gets down to the No. 10 slot. Stanford’s Andrus Peat could fit that bill, too, and he appears likely to be there for the Rams.

Yes, the Rams could buck up and overpay free agent Joe Barksdale to remain at right tackle. Yes, coach Jeff Fisher and Snead could sift through the slim pickings and (gulp) add another tackle from the open market.

But circumstances suggest drafting a tackle is the right play, instead of going for a wide receiver like Kevin White, Amari Cooper or DeVante Parker. The Rams could re-up Kenny Britt to continue his mentoring of Brian Quick and count on Mountaineer pals Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey to finally break out.

Should that plan fail, the Rams can target wide receivers in future drafts after firming up the offensive line foundation.

Adding fresh blockers wouldn’t do much for marketing ... but at this point, marketing is a moot point for the franchise. There isn’t much the sales department can do to move tickets to fans in this region for this season.

The Rams can only hope their opponents don’t travel well in 2015.

Fisher is prepared to take a similarly patient approach at quarterback by giving Sam Bradford one more season, assuming the money makes sense.

Why not? The free agent alternatives are pedestrian and the 10th overall pick seems unlikely to yield their quarterback of the future.

The Rams can trot out Bradford one more time, find a solid back-up and draft somebody with long-term potential in the second or third round.

So what if Bradford breaks down again? The Rams could just leave him on the curb with the used player lounge furniture if the team packs up and moves to SoCal.

The team could get its fresh start with a new quarterback better than, say, Brian Hoyer. Next year’s free agent quarterback class can’t possibly be as bad as this one.

Fisher kept things in house by promoting quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti to the offensive coordinator post vacated by the oft-maligned Brian Schottenheimer.

This was a sensible move. Cignetti helped coax reasonable production from Shaun Hill and Austin Davis last season after Bradford went down. Fisher isn’t looking to reinvent his offense in the fourth year of his regime, so the status quo rules.

Cignetti accepted the challenge of taking Fisher’s familiar run-oriented philosophy and getting better results. And maybe, just maybe, the Rams will actually complete a few passes to Austin down the field for a change.

New quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke was also a solid hire under the circumstances. He refined his teaching skills at the IMG Academy, working with aspiring NFL quarterbacks like Russell Wilson and Cam Newton.

This is an entry level position coaching job, so the uncertain Rams future shouldn’t concern him. Weinke is getting his big break at the highest level of coaching.

He will get to mold whichever young quarterback the Rams draft. He is bringing lots of energy to this challenge.

At least somebody around here is excited about what the organization’s long-range future may hold.

fearsomefour

Legend
....or it could be that the Rams don't have two first round picks for the first time in a few years and the draft is a couple of months away still....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Relocation talk reduces Rams draft intrigue
Not for this fan it hasn't.
I could understand how it might for those fans living in and around St Louis though. I feel for you guys. Hang in there and keep your chin up.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah, I wouldn't be too excited about this team if I lived in St. Louis this year. Having the possibility of losing my team to another city would kinda piss me off.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah, I wouldn't be too excited about this team if I lived in St. Louis this year. Having the possibility of losing my team to another city would kinda pee pee me off.

Great point, however, the question looms are your fan of the Rams because they are the Rams or because they play in St. Louis? For me it's easy been a Ram fan since I was 7 years of age 1973 and when they moved to St. Louis I was still a fan of the Horns.

You really need to take the emotion out of it and IMO it's 50/50 of where they will be playing in the future, but it's easy for me because I don't live in St. Louis or Southern California, however, after this long winter in upstate New York rolocation for myself and my family is imminent.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think Mr. Gordo is letting some of his own paper's malaise seep through. It's a crime how lazy the Post-Dispatch is in covering the Rams. I used to go there every day to devour any insider tidbit of Rams news and always left still hungry (now I've learned to come here instead). For comparison I was poking around the Detroit Free Press to read some Suh coverage and they have an article about their long snapper, for crying out loud! That's some real offseason hustle!

Obviously Bernie is stuffing his face with Papa Johns, but I'm not sure what Gordo and Jim Thomas are doing except thinking they deserve some long offseason vacation from never breaking any Rams story ever? What's going on with Wells? Long? Britt? Bradford? We never know thanks to zero insider journalists at the P-D. A million stories could make the pages every day, but instead we get an offseason of five Weinke stories spaced out over 3 weeks.

Okay rant over, my on topic comment is I think it's more the "professionals" lacking intrigue, not real fans.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Great point, however, the question looms are your fan of the Rams because they are the Rams or because they play in St. Louis? For me it's easy been a Ram fan since I was 7 years of age 1973 and when they moved to St. Louis I was still a fan of the Horns.

You really need to take the emotion out of it and IMO it's 50/50 of where they will be playing in the future, but it's easy for me because I don't live in St. Louis or Southern California, however, after this long winter in upstate New York rolocation for myself and my family is imminent.
Yes, of course, I have never even been to St. Louis but have been a Rams fan all my life. Now, if that were still true AND I lived in St. Louis, I'd be besides myself. As it is, it doesn't matter where the Rams play, I'm a RAM! I've never even been to a home game but still plan on it some day even if they were to move to London.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
....or it could be that the Rams don't have two first round picks for the first time in a few years and the draft is a couple of months away still....
....or could it be that Gordo is once again talking out of his ass and hasn't paid any real attention to trends of draft talk among Rams fans? While I haven't "tracked" it, it seems that there is at least as much discussion about it as last year. Put relocation in a headline and it sells clicks I suppose.

I realize it could have an effect. But I'd have to think not having 2 first rounders and something like 13 picks in the draft weighs in far more.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
....or could it be that Gordo is once again talking out of his ass and hasn't paid any real attention to trends of draft talk among Rams fans? While I haven't "tracked" it, it seems that there is at least as much discussion about it as last year. Put relocation in a headline and it sells clicks I suppose.

I realize it could have an effect. But I'd have to think not having 2 first rounders and something like 13 picks in the draft weighs in far more.

I totally agree with you if you are talking lifetime Rams fans from around the country but for the ones in the Lou? Gordo may have some insight into that subject. But then again, he may just be expressing the opinions of his inner circle. I know if I lived there, the team possibly moving would weigh heavily on my mind and almost certainly over-cloud the upcoming draft.

fearsomefour

Legend
Agr

agreed.
Honestly because anything move related is just speculation this is just lazy reporting, easy to get clicks.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I totally agree with you if you are talking lifetime Rams fans from around the country but for the ones in the Lou? Gordo may have some insight into that subject. But then again, he may just be expressing the opinions of his inner circle. I know if I lived there, the team possibly moving would weigh heavily on my mind and almost certainly over-cloud the upcoming draft.
Yeah - I just doubt they tracked anything on "fan intrigue" over the past several years to gauge anything. Just strikes me as lazy reporting in trying to take advantage of a hot button.