Good ol' Lawrence Phillips

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
As I have said, dude had a rough upbringing....group home kid, didn't learn the right way to live life...and now is paying for some seriously flawed impulse control....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
wow.

I watched a Locked-up episode a few years ago that had a guy that killed a couple of his cell mates. His reasoning was because he didn't want to share a cell with anyone else.
It worked. He no longer gets a cell mate.
He's a lifer, that lives in a state without the death penalty. All the State can do is add more years to a eternal sentence.

No death sentence needed... Keep putting him in a cell with the biggest, baddest MOFO you can find. Whoever wins the system comes out on top.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
From Eric Dickerson meets Adrian Peterson to this. Dude would have been a star IMO. Sad!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As much as I hate the wasted pick on LP... Let's pretend he succeeded in St. Louis.

In that scenario: no trade for Faulk.

In that scenario: do we win a Super Bowl?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
There are a lot of people on this board who are way nicer and more empathetic than I am.

There is hope for America. And the human race.

(OTOH - maybe y'all are just still young).

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Per @JGalvinKGET former NFL Rams RB Lawrence Phillips is under investigation for allegedly murdering cell mate in prison.

We could have drafted Eddie George...

But then we would have never had Marshall.

Marshall > George

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we only had foresight on draft day, we would never miss in the draft, and we would have a perennial dynasty.....We'll have to look for this quality in Snead's replacement..

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The liberals would be offended. You can't execute someone that can be "rehabilitated".

I think the argument is slightly more complicated than that. That's the soundbite version pundits use.

I'm not against the death penalty for something like this.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
As much as I hate the wasted pick on LP... Let's pretend he succeeded in St. Louis.

In that scenario: no trade for Faulk.

In that scenario: do we win a Super Bowl?
I've often thought of that, and I'm not sure. Faulk was really the engine and the leader of that offense. As great as Warner and the WR were Faulk was a first ballot Hall of Famer for a reason.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
There are a lot of people on this board who are way nicer and more empathetic than I am.

There is hope for America. And the human race.

(OTOH - maybe y'all are just still young).
You may be reading to much into it since the perspective is coming from football fans not parole officers.
I have found that the non empathetic cynical view with no hope for humanity is usually perpetuated by youth and not wisdom.
I do not claim to be wise but at 51 certainly not young.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Interesting....
The strongest factors included having a convicted parent, being physically neglected, low involvement of the father with the boy, low family income, and coming from a disrupted family. Other significant factors included poor supervision, harsh discipline, large family size, delinquent sibling, young mother, depressed mother, low social class, and poor housing.[21] There has also been association between psychopaths and detrimental treatment by peers
These are some of the problems in the childcare system Laurence probably had to deal with...I still believe nurture is stronger than nature...In America, we are making criminals...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rice-saved-the-ravens-from-lawrence-phillips/

How Simeon Rice saved the Ravens from Lawrence Phillips
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 14, 2015

5a1b7600c94680c0d3f1ee1d4e0d67d4-e1429014803262.jpeg
AP

Simeon Rice thinks he deserves a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The Ravens would probably support that bid, if only for what Rice saved them from.

When the Illinois defensive end made a late climb up draft boards and was chosen third overall by the Cardinals in the 1996 NFL Draft, it cleared the way for the Ravens to take UCLA tackle Jonathan Ogden instead of Nebraska running back Lawrence Phillips.

That obviously worked out pretty well for them, since Ogden is already enshrined in Canton himself, while Phillips is facing murder charges involving the death of his cellmate in a California prison.

But looking back at that decision shows how close the Ravens were to making a terrible mistake.

They figured Southern Cal wideout Keyshawn Johnson and Illinois linebacker Kevin Hardy would be gone, leaving Ogden and Phillips in the next two spots. They seemed comfortable enough with Phillips to take him if it fell that way, despite his track record at Nebraska of domestic assault.

“I had no qualms about taking him, because I felt, based on our investigation, that he was subject to quick and complete rehabilitation and that he would have been a class-A citizen and a man the city of Baltimore would have been proud of,” the late owner Art Modell said of Phillips, via Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun. “There was no doubt that we were going to take Ogden if he was there, but we didn’t think he would be in the fourth slot. The thing that threw everything out of kilter was Rice going early.”

As the Ravens prepared for that draft, the possibility of an Ogden-Phillips choice was one they worked through and discussed. According to the report, Modell wanted Phillips, while personnel wizard Ozzie Newsome preferred Ogden.

“He was the cleanest of all the guys on the board,” Newsome said of Ogden. (The Ravens would go onto draft Miami linebacker Ray Lewis later in the first round.)

Phillips eventually went sixth overall to the Rams, and the Ravens avoided a running back who would go on to embarrass a franchise and become a symbol of a greater problem in society.

jap

Legend
I've often thought of that, and I'm not sure. Faulk was really the engine and the leader of that offense. As great as Warner and the WR were Faulk was a first ballot Hall of Famer for a reason.

Marshall was the ultimate match-up nightmare: a primetime RB with superlative hands who simply could not be covered by a LB. Stack the box against him, and you are forced to deal with Special K and the Warner Brothers. Spread the coverage against Warner, and Marshall is going to take off.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not to derail but the electric chair is about as cruel and unusual a way to execute someone as it gets.
NAH! If I'm not mistake, there's a state that still Hang's them!! Can you imagin, hanging by a broken neck, while your being strangled by a rope, and dangling in mid-air!! I'm not sure, I think it was Arizona, I may be wrong. They may not be doing it anymore, it's been a few years since I read this!

fearsomefour

Legend
If you listen closely you can hear Vermeil crying.
It is sad, very sad, what Phillips became.
A guy presented with opportunity after opportunity.
Drafting him was a key piece for Rich Brooks, not Vermeil.
Brooks trying to get his version of Dallas' big 3 with Banks, Kennison and Phillips.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Interesting.... These are some of the problems in the childcare system Laurence probably had to deal with...I still believe nurture is stronger than nature...In America, we are making criminals...
The research shows that some of it is genetic, but much of personality is based on development and Lawrence Philips didn't have the greatest upbringing (I believe he was in group homes and had multiple problems with his parents as a child). That's no excuse for his behavior but explains why he is the way he is