Goff Final PFF Grade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tough not to respect PFF. Hope they are wrong on this one.

I'm going to spare everyone my PFF rant this time, but it's quite easy to not respect their grading system.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Weird how almost all the diiferent passing rankings are much higher than 18 yet the overall is 18.
Ya it doesn’t make any sense at all. Bortles ratings are filled with 30+ rankings but he’s still somehow ahead of Goff lol
Clearly, this is not based on anything logical... if it's their "opinion", they I have to remind people about opinions and assholes.

He's so far been serviceable but hardly a game changing QB. It's been my complaint the entire go.
I have to disagree... no, he didn't orchestrate dramatic come-from-behind wins and carry the team on his shoulders but, he demonstrated the ability to go through his progressions while under siege and make some remarkable plays.

I think calling him "serviceable" is a bit harsh. I don't think a "serviceable" QB could have gotten the team as far as they went. He's an above-average QB (regardless of PFF's "opinions").

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wouldn't put too much in their rating system. I mean, ask any Jags fan if they would trade Bortles straight across for Goff. I think their response would pretty much tell you all you need to know.

Ram65

Legend
These ratings aren't a big deal at all. It's fun to look at but, without knowing all the parameters it is a lot of opinions.

In six of the nine categories he is rated 13 or better 4,10,12,12.12 and 13. (Forget about time to throw). Goff has consistent numbers.

Slide25.jpg

Take a look at Winston (forget about time to throw). In the nine catagories he has been rated 20 or higher in five of them 20,24,25,27 and 38. He still gets rated higher?????

Slide24.jpg

Goff had good games against the bad teams and not so good games against better opponents. I like he didn't throw many picks but, they gave him a high 3.3% off turnover worthy throws ranking 18th. Too often I wonder how he missed some seemly easy throws. Goff just has to tighten things up a bit. He could climb the pocket a little more, throw on the run a little better, make a little better/faster reads and some better throws. You can argue a lot about these positions but, by next year goff will be a top 10 QB.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I have to disagree... no, he didn't orchestrate dramatic come-from-behind wins and carry the team on his shoulders but, he demonstrated the ability to go through his progressions while under siege and make some remarkable plays.

I think calling him "serviceable" is a bit harsh. I don't think a "serviceable" QB could have gotten the team as far as they went. He's an above-average QB (regardless of PFF's "opinions").

Isn't that the point? He's not that tier of QB that if we fall behind he'd be able to come back and win. A lot of his best plays this year were shorter passes where the receiver/Gurley made it into something. Yes he's connected a couple deep balls, which is great. But when the game is on the line, I just don't think he's there yet. I honestly fear that if he (we) didn't have Gurley as such a monster this year, he'd be even lower on this list. I mean, he had a pretty remarkable list of offensive weapons and great O-Line to work with. Do we honestly think he would be able to succeed with out. Would he elevate the play of average at best players around him like the upper-tier QBs. Not yet...IMHO.

I know a lot of people want to think he's the next Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, etc., but he's no where near those names at the moment. Hopefully one day he can be respected like that. But until then, I think he's appropriately ranked. It's not an insult. I like how far he's come. I hope he continues to grow

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm just passing through....

PFF rankings for QB’s are about as legit as ESPN’s hilarious QBR nonsense.
Not picking you out for any reason other than you made a statement regarding the "rankings"....without...without a point...or some fact as to why you believe this?
I don't like PFF....don't....don't really get QBR....I don't...but something THEY see, says our guy is middle of the pack...average....which I do agree with....mainly because of the below comment.
My question, why aren't the "stats" they use to rank these players legit?
Goff had good games against the bad teams and not so good games against better opponents. I like he didn't throw many picks but, they gave him a high 3.3% off turnover worthy throws ranking 18th. Too often I wonder how he missed some seemly easy throws. Goff just has to tighten things up a bit. He could climb the pocket a little more, throw on the run a little better, make a little better/faster reads and some better throws.
truth at last

I hope this isn't considered trolling....I'm really curious why everyone disagrees with this ranking...especially after the last game we played...not a great defensive team...a good one....and we were stymied...for 4 quarters. #1 scoring offense....ran for 7 yards a pop....yet 13 points....where else does the fault lie?

Yall think a top 10 QB only scores 13 points at HOME...in the playoffs? Versus those Falcons? Seriously????

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
for 4 quarters. #1 scoring offense....ran for 7 yards a pop....yet 13 points....where else does the fault lie?
Are you suggesting it all lies with Goff?

C'mon now...

Play calling was big... just never got into a rhythm... regardless, even the best QBs have "off days". Brady on 12/11/17... rating of 59.5... look it up.

Fact is... this "rating system" is subjective... many here don't agree with Goff's rating... I happen to agree.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just passing through....

Not picking you out for any reason other than you made a statement regarding the "rankings"....without...without a point...or some fact as to why you believe this?
I don't like PFF....don't....don't really get QBR....I don't...but something THEY see, says our guy is middle of the pack...average....which I do agree with....mainly because of the below comment.
My question, why aren't the "stats" they use to rank these players legit?
truth at last

I hope this isn't considered trolling....I'm really curious why everyone disagrees with this ranking...especially after the last game we played...not a great defensive team...a good one....and we were stymied...for 4 quarters. #1 scoring offense....ran for 7 yards a pop....yet 13 points....where else does the fault lie?

Yall think a top 10 QB only scores 13 points at HOME...in the playoffs? Versus those Falcons? Seriously????
So Goff is a lesser QB because of McVays play calling got it.

The reasons pff and their rankings are garbage are obvious and have been discussed numerous times. But two quick things I’ll point out are the above comparison of Goff and Winston. Throw in Dak was higher than him and it just gets silly. The only thing I can deduce from their rankings is they penalize Goff for having a good pass protecting OLine as referenced by his time to throw. A great stat for our team, funny though I remember reading in another thread you said our line isn’t that good but it was good enough to give him the 4th most time to throw.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just furthering the case for PFF rankings being a total joke look at their TE list. Number 7 on the list is David Morgan of the Vikings. Guy caught 10 passes for 95 yards and a TD. He played 15 games only starting 5 of them. He’s their #7 TE in the NFL.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah that #18 ranking seems a bit too low to me. I expect he will get much better next year because last year he was pretty awful ranked near the bottom with the coaching at hand.

This year he’s pretty good. Personally, I’d say he’s really top 15 or better. Next year who knows?, I expect he will be top ten and maybe even top 5.

The point being he’s progressing very quickly. To be upper mid pack or better in the NFL at 23 is a hell of an achievement.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is true that Goff has not pulled off a dramatic, come-from-behind win. However, I think there were at least TWO games where he threw into the end zone, and the pass was dropped, and we lost the game. But he did move the offense when needed, except for that Washington game, where he threw an interception almost immediately. In addition... one could argue that Goff always had us UP by 20 points during the game! So there was not a lot of need for dramatic, come-from-behind performances. Personally... I'd rather they keep winning games by 20! Finally, the guy has pretty much mastered the quarterback position at 23 years old. He will be winning games in dramatic fashion very soon.

nighttrain

Legend
It is true that Goff has not pulled off a dramatic, come-from-behind win. However, I think there were at least TWO games where he threw into the end zone, and the pass was dropped, and we lost the game. But he did move the offense when needed, except for that Washington game, where he threw an interception almost immediately. In addition... one could argue that Goff always had us UP by 20 points during the game! So there was not a lot of need for dramatic, come-from-behind performances. Personally... I'd rather they keep winning games by 20! Finally, the guy has pretty much mastered the quarterback position at 23 years old. He will be winning games in dramatic fashion very soon.
Law of averages
train

nighttrain

Legend
that Skins game came early, if that was last game of the season would have had different outcome, Goff improved dramatically from 1st game to last game..I'd rather win by 20, comebacks are cool, but winning by 20 is awesome
train

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
UMMMMMM btw Goff was just named Pro Football Writers of America Most Improved Player sooooo suck a d#ick PFF?!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Dallas?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Good point, Champ. Let's take a look at the first playoff starts for a few other not top 10 QBs:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200001160clt.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200201190nwe.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200501080sdg.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200501150pit.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201301060rav.htm

How did we only score 13 points? Might have had something to do with Tyler Higbee dropping the perfectly-thrown, third-down TD pass that originally gave us 20 points and put us in position to steal a win if we could get a stop on defense.

Just furthering the case for PFF rankings being a total joke look at their TE list. Number 7 on the list is David Morgan of the Vikings. Guy caught 10 passes for 95 yards and a TD. He played 15 games only starting 5 of them. He’s their #7 TE in the NFL.

PFF has always vastly overrated blocking TEs. I remember PFF absolutely loved Ben Utecht back in the day. They consistently rated him among the top TEs in the NFL because of his blocking. As I've said many times, their grading is bad.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I miss the back and fourth....seriously counselor....I tell my nephew about you all the time...he's a civil attorney...
First game...I was looking at it yesterday....Peyton targeted Marvin Harrison 18 times! Love that...love it...just didn't work out vs a pretty tough Titan team...Fishers team....same one that held the GSOT....very physical. But yeah 16 points, for a 13-3 team led by 2nd year Peyton Manning...
Second game...famous game as well....Raiders vs Pats....
It was freezing....snow....tuck rule...no comparison...at home, Gannon scores more than 13 points.

3rd game....no answer...you win...Brees was relatively hot too...started hot....OT was so-so...but you win....400 yards total...really decent stats....vs the Jets...no explanation....Only thing he didn't have was a #1 wr....but he did have LT. This kinda crap got Marty Schott fired.

4th game was Herm Edwards on the other endthose Jets....Don't know how Herm won with them...he said Chad Pennington was a good QB....I believe him...but he was nothing special....follow me..."nothing special"....vs the Steelers....Troy Palu....was out there...

5th game...Colts vs Ravens....really? Luck vs Ray Lewis....affectionately known as "killer" Ray to me and mines....LOL...Ed Reed too....Luck really targeted his wr's too...not Marvin...that other guy....dude on NFLN now...oh yeah, Reggie Wayne...I always thought Wayne was better than Marvin...Another game where a QB starts slow...giving momentum to the opponent...Luck hasn't done much in the playoffs...the little he has done, he's done it on his own.

So five games to compare...I see some similarities in 2....Peyton especially...2nd year....big turnaround...1st pick overall. Brees a little too....

Brees is the only one that was on his game...

All targeted their primary playmaker......#1 threat....the guy I'd like to say scores the most TD's...the most.

Most of these QB's...rather...all of them....made their coordinators....IMO...of course....and this has been proven...the players MADE the offense...not the other way around.

Good points....though...

I still say, McVay put the game in our QB's hands.....near perfect conditions....started slowly...and wasn't quite on his game....some passes missed.....or were a lil off target...not allowing receivers to gain yards after the catch....and my #1 peeve...complaint...shit that's still got me pissed (besides helping me throw away my top ROD $$$$ winner)....was the lack of targets to Watkins...over say, Higbee (I could add his bestie, Kupp here as well, Woods too)....and lack of touches to Gurley...inaccurate passes downfield....inaccurate passes on the move...in near perfect conditions (only complaints is/were the field, but many would say, wrs have the advantage in this scenario...I'd agree)....45 passes...and all those garbage time stats in the 4th quarter....the things PFF & QBR rate poorly on....yet 13 points...vs the Falcons...I guess their defense is good/fast...whatever....they aint getting any worse that's for sure...that team is put together...they looked faster.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I miss the back and fourth....seriously counselor....I tell my nephew about you all the time...he's a civil attorney...
First game...I was looking at it yesterday....Peyton targeted Marvin Harrison 18 times! Love that...love it...just didn't work out vs a pretty tough Titan team...Fishers team....same one that held the GSOT....very physical. But yeah 16 points, for a 13-3 team led by 2nd year Peyton Manning...
Second game...famous game as well....Raiders vs Pats....
It was freezing....snow....tuck rule...no comparison...at home, Gannon scores more than 13 points.

3rd game....no answer...you win...Brees was relatively hot too...started hot....OT was so-so...but you win....400 yards total...really decent stats....vs the Jets...no explanation....Only thing he didn't have was a #1 wr....but he did have LT. This kinda crap got Marty Schott fired.

4th game was Herm Edwards on the other endthose Jets....Don't know how Herm won with them...he said Chad Pennington was a good QB....I believe him...but he was nothing special....follow me..."nothing special"....vs the Steelers....Troy Palu....was out there...

5th game...Colts vs Ravens....really? Luck vs Ray Lewis....affectionately known as "killer" Ray to me and mines....LOL...Ed Reed too....Luck really targeted his wr's too...not Marvin...that other guy....dude on NFLN now...oh yeah, Reggie Wayne...I always thought Wayne was better than Marvin...Another game where a QB starts slow...giving momentum to the opponent...Luck hasn't done much in the playoffs...the little he has done, he's done it on his own.

So five games to compare...I see some similarities in 2....Peyton especially...2nd year....big turnaround...1st pick overall. Brees a little too....

Brees is the only one that was on his game...

All targeted their primary playmaker......#1 threat....the guy I'd like to say scores the most TD's...the most.

Most of these QB's...rather...all of them....made their coordinators....IMO...of course....and this has been proven...the players MADE the offense...not the other way around.

Good points....though...

I still say, McVay put the game in our QB's hands.....near perfect conditions....started slowly...and wasn't quite on his game....some passes missed.....or were a lil off target...not allowing receivers to gain yards after the catch....and my #1 peeve...complaint...crap that's still got me ticked (besides helping me throw away my top ROD $$$$ winner)....was the lack of targets to Watkins...over say, Higbee (I could add his bestie, Kupp here as well, Woods too)....and lack of touches to Gurley...inaccurate passes downfield....inaccurate passes on the move...in near perfect conditions (only complaints is/were the field, but many would say, wrs have the advantage in this scenario...I'd agree)....45 passes...and all those garbage time stats in the 4th quarter....the things PFF & QBR rate poorly on....yet 13 points...vs the Falcons...I guess their defense is good/fast...whatever....they aint getting any worse that's for sure...that team is put together...they looked faster.

His point is you continue to compare our young 23 year old QB who's only started 22 games and 1 playoff game to guys like Brees, Brady, Ryan, Ben (AKA the best veterans in the league). You want him at this point in his career to match those guys at their veteran status. That's asinine, what he's pointing out is these guys you have on a pedestal and try to say Goff should be just like weren't like that at the same age as Jared.

Does Jared have room to improve? Abso freaking lutely! Nobody will say he doesn't. But the rest of us seem to be enjoying watching him now and enjoying the growth we see in the kid, and yes he's still a kid.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So Goff is a lesser QB because of McVays play calling got it.
My old friend....hmmmm

McVay's plays....his scheme...does seem to leave/create openings...windows...where it's easier to deliver the ball to a receiver in space....It's like a crutch....sorta like the headphone thingy....

This crutch is removed when good defensive coaches scheme against him/us....

It was evident in the last game...when guys aren't WIDE open...what does a QB do? It was the same in the Vikings game....and even in the Jags game to an extent....however, he was limited in his amount of attempts.

I just wonder....does he ever audible? Change what boy wonder calls? See something else? Go with his gut, like, 3rd and 2...eff the pass, lets just run Gurley?

Reminded me of Ben Rothlisburger saying, they have no audible for the QB sneak....which is odd...rather...you'd think teams could audible anything at anytime...maybe only some teams....I guess
The only thing I can deduce from their rankings is they penalize Goff for having a good pass protecting OLine as referenced by his time to throw. A great stat for our team, funny though I remember reading in another thread you said our line isn’t that good but it was good enough to give him the 4th most time to throw.

I still say our line isn't that great....a great running back creates time for a QB....helps a line by keeping the defense on it's heels....not rushing all out....I believe it's why we threw the ball 45 times, rather than run Todd....

I think we don't run on 3rd and short because our line isn't powerful run blockers...which I consider a great line. Penalize? No...just give more...more emphasis to QB's that play with poor blockers....get the ball out quicker...You'd agree, it's hard to win doing what Russell Wilson does, correct?