GDT: Rams at Broncos

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Practice-Report-825-Quinn-to-Make-Preseason-Debut-at-Denver/0b52cced-c602-4ff7-9a86-0ebcab314c60

QUINN TO MAKE HIS DEBUT

Last year’s Week 9 contest at Minnesota was the first time he’d ever missed an NFL game due to injury. It was the first Rams’ game he didn’t start since 2012. And after he tried to be effective in a pass-rushing role against the Bears in Week 10, the Rams shut Quinn down as he underwent season-ending back surgery.

“It sucked,” Quinn said after Thursday’s practice. “But I mean, it’s just an unfortunate accident. It happened, you just have to overcome it. It’s in the past, leave it in the past and try to make something happen this year.”

That process has been well underway since the start of the offseason program, as the team has brought Quinn along slowly. The defensive end mostly worked off to the side with trainers for the first couple of weeks, before participating in individual drills and a few team sessions. He’s been going full tilt since the start of camp, although there are days where the Rams back him off just a bit as a precaution.

“One of the biggest things you have to do with a competitor like him is hold him back,” defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said. “If we didn’t have the problem of holding him back, we have the wrong guy.”

Now, Quinn is set to make his 2016 preseason debut against the defending Super Bowl champion Broncos on Saturday night. Head coach Jeff Fisher said the plan is to have the D-lineman play for a couple series, and then in a few pass-rushing situations.

“I think I’ll have a few snaps, hopefully break that ice because it’s been a while since I really got out there,” Quinn said.

Everyone remembers Quinn’s spectacular 2013, in which he had 19.0 sacks. He wasn’t a slouch in 2014 either, coming away with 10.5 and going to his second consecutive Pro Bowl. And after playing through much discomfort last year, Quinn says he’s feeling more and more like himself once again.

“I’ve got to do a little bit extra just to be on the safe side,” Quinn said, giving credit to the training staff. “But every day, I feel pretty much rejuvenated.”

He’s also clearing the inevitable mental hurdle that comes with sustaining a season-ending injury.

“If you think about the injury, usually that’s when you kind of re-injure yourself. So I’m trying to just not think about it as much as possible,” Quinn said. “Of course, it’s a back surgery. It’ll get tight from time to time. But that’s around the time when we should start relaxing, cooling down — body starts settling. So, no, I don’t think it’s going to be anything to worry about.”

Saturday will be an important checkpoint in terms of performance and recovery for Quinn. And heading in, he’s feeling as if he’s returned to form.

“I feel like I’ve got the power back. I feel like I’ve got some explosion back,” Quinn said. “But, again, I haven’t played a game. So who knows where it’s truly at? Like I said, I feel great, but I guess the game will tell.”

EXTRA POINTS

— Fisher said generally, the Rams will add a series or two to what players did last week for playing time against Denver.

“There may be a few guys that participate in somewhat fewer snaps, but for the most part, we want to push this thing well into the second quarter, and we’ll go from there,” Fisher said.

Quinn, of course, would likely be an exception to that. And Todd Gurley could be as well, as Fisher said he hadn’t yet decided how he’d distribute reps for the running back.

“I was really pleased with what he did last week — I really haven’t decided,” Fisher said. “He’s getting a lot of great practice reps. When we kick off against the 49ers, his reps in the preseason are meaningless.”

The quarterbacks will go through a similar plan, although starter Case Keenum is slated to see more time on the field. Keenum has played two series in each of the first two preseason games, and that number may increase to three or four depending on how the game goes. Jared Goff will come in from there, and Fisher said he would like to get Sean Mannion time this week as well.

OPPONENT BREAKDOWN

The Broncos finished the 2015 season the way every would have liked to — holding the Lombardi Trophy with confetti falling as Super Bowl Champions.

But the defending champs have experienced some turnover on their roster, particularly at the quarterback position, as last year’s starters Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler retired and signed with the Texans, respectively. However the QB competition shakes out, Denver will likely remain a contender because of its top-tier defense.

AT A GLANCE

Executive VP of Football Operations/General Manager — and Hall of Fame quarterback — John Elway hired former Texans head coach Gary Kubiak to take over as head coach in order to push the team from contender to champion and the gamble clearly paid dividends in Year 1. Despite shaky quarterback play from both Manning and at times Osweiler, the Broncos compiled a 12-4 record and ran the table in the postseason to win the Super Bowl in Kubiak’s first year at the helm.

Despite coming into the Super Bowl as underdogs to the Panthers, the Broncos’ defense got sacks and forced turnovers en route to a 24-10 victory. Denver’s No. 1 unit allowed led the league by allowing only 283.1 yards per game and was No. 4 in points allowed at 18.4.

Clearly, there have been some changes to both the offense and defense with the defending Super Bowl squad. Defensive end Malik Jackson signed with the Jaguars. Offensive lineman Evan Mathis signed with the Cardinals. Linebacker Danny Trevathan signed with the Bears. And Osweiler famously went to Houston. ??But the club matched Miami’s offer sheet to re-sign running back C.J. Anderson and signed vaunted pass rusher Von Miller to a six-year deal in July after placing the exclusive-rights franchise tag on him.

Still, the quarterback situation provides the most intrigue heading into this year. Denver drafted Trevor Siemian in the seventh round of the 2015 draft, and he spent his rookie season mostly confined to the sideline. Veteran Mark Sanchez is now on his third team, having arrived via a March trade with Philadelphia. And the Broncos traded up for first-round pick Paxton Lynch, who has flashed in his preseason action, but may need significant time in order to become ready to start.

WHO MAY NOT PLAY?

Tight end Jeff Heuerman, who entered training camp as the starting tight end, has been dealing with a hamstring injury and appears unlikely to be ready for Saturday.

Defensive lineman Derek Wolfe has ben away from the team dealing with a family issue, and with the missed practice, may not play.

Outside linebacker Demarcus Ware is fresh off the NFI list this week, and as such is fairly unlikely to play. After back surgery, his goal has been to be ready for the regular-season opener.

WHO ARE PLAYERS TO WATCH?

The obvious answer here is the three quarterbacks: Siemian, Sanchez, and Lynch. Each has had his moments, but Siemian appears to have the inside track to becoming the Broncos’ starter for Week 1.

Siemian will start Saturday’s contest against the Rams. Kubiak declined to say who would come in second at quarterback, but at this point, it seems that both Sanchez and Lynch could be the backup to start the season.

Sanchez has played well in spurts, but he’s also fell victim to the turnovers that have plagued him throughout his career. Last week for instance, the USC product was in the midst of a good-looking two-minute drive, when he fumbled in the red zone. The 49ers recovered but turned it over themselves before Sanchez fumbled again. Those are the kinds of plays that could keep him out of the QB-1 role.

Lynch, on the other hand, just doesn’t seem to have the requisite experience needed to start from Day 1. That said, he has shown an ability to launch the ball all over the field with his arm strength. Plus, he’s displayed a proclivity for escaping a collapsing pocket and pick up yards with his legs.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Top of the morning to all of you awesome Rams Fans.. Nothing much better than waking up and thinking, our Rams will be playing a game today.

Denver_Broncos_vs_St_Louis_Rams-300x200.png

rams_zstacy30_cantseeme.gif

2016-broncos-vs-rams.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8...-rams-denver-broncos-preview-rookies-to-watch

ROOKIES TO WATCH

This is the third week of the preseason which is important because it is unoffically known as the "Dress rehersal game". A game in which the first units of both teams will play close to a half of football and there is usually some sort of gameplan going into these games.

More than likely the rookies on this list will not be a big part of the first half, but they could prove to be key cogs on the team.

QB Jared Goff
There's not much to say about Goff, besides the fact that he has made a lot of mistakes thus far. Granted the preseason is all about mistakes since the games do not count. This week if he limits the negative plays, fans will finally be able to have a sigh of relief and maybe, just maybe, Goff will play early in his rookie season.

CB Troy Hill
Hill has been a pleasant surprise, the UDFA has shown that he can not only shadow the opposing receiver, but that he is a sure tackler, which is a trait that is often overlooked when it comes to corners. Hill has been thrown to five times and although those passes were completed, they were all tackled by Hill and the receiver did not go further than six yards, according to Pro Football Focus writer Nathan Jahnke.

Hill has proven through two weeks that he should make the team, the next two weeks will decide if that will be as a member of the 53-man roster or on the practice squad.

WR Mike Thomas
Patiently waiting is something that Ram fans have done for years when it has come to receivers that the Rams have drafted. Being fair, Thomas did play in a lower level college division, so you could make the case that the young receiver just hasn't caught up to the level of competition, which isn't a surprise for a six round selection.

However, the hope had to be that this season he could become a deep threat for a team that desperately need vertical threats. Right now, Thomas should focus on a catch that goes for positive yards.

TE Temarrick Hemingway
Hemingway appears to be growing as a tight end. Hemingway is more of an inline TE compared to Tyler Higbee, He has one reception for 29 yards and he has been a contributor on special teams and as a run blocker. Obviously, unless there is an injury, it is unlikely that Hemingway will have meaningful snaps in his rookie season, however he could ink out a role for himself in the future.

LB Josh Forrest
With six tackles to his name, the Rams only defensive draft selection appears to have what it takes to make the roster. It is hard to imagine Forrest making plays alongside with Mark Barron and Alec Ogletree this season, however with four of his six tackles being made on special teams, don't be surprised if you see the young linebacker make his name on Sundays by making tackles against returners.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8...les-rams-denver-broncos-preview-vets-to-watch

5 VETERANS TO WATCH

We're almost there. It's week three of the preseason where normally veterans get the majority of their work in before the real games start. With that in mind here some players I will be looking at as they face off against Denver.

QB Case Keenum
Keenum is your Los Angeles Rams starting QB right now. He's been pretty solid and efficient through two weeks of the preseason. Jeff Fisher wants to give him a couple extra series to play before putting rookie QB Jared Goff in. This is an important game for Keenum to solidify his position as starer since, after all, it's only a matter of time before Goff takes over as the franchise's QB...right?

The Rams believe the can compete for the playoffs this year and the QB positon is the most important part of their potential playoff run. Can Keenum keep the offense moving and extend drives on 3rd downs? The defending Super Bowl Champions' starting defense will be an excellent test. It would not be ideal for him to lay a complete egg in his last significant preseason playing time while Goff is still learning the in's and out's of being an NFL QB.

WR Tavon Austin
The Rams' second-most important offensive weapon has been almost non-existent through the first two weeks of preseason. Its really nothing to get concerned about but for a struggling offense, though it would be a huge boost in confidence to get Austin in a rhythm this week. He's definitely a player that thrives off big plays and the momentum it brings. As he plays with more confidence, it permeates through the entire offense.

It's time for him to make a few plays.

CB E.J. Gaines
Last week vs the Chiefs marked Gaines' first game action in over a year, and the CB didn't disappoint. In his absence, the secondary has looked extremely vulnerable even with a vanilla defensive game plan. Gaines and Trumaine Johnson offer the best possible CB tandem for the Rams and its important for Gaines to get back in the groove in live action. Early on against Denver, look for Gaines to line up against Demaryius Thomas or Emmanuel Sanders, two of the better WRs in the NFL.

OT Greg Robinson
Still just 23-years old, the third-year left tackle is looking to continue on his improved play vs the Broncos. Robinson has looked much better thus far in training camp than he ever has in years past. He plays one of the most important positions a football team has at left tackle, protecting the blindside of either Keenum or Goff and possibly gets a chance to face two of the best pass rushers the NFL has to offer this week in Von Miller and Demarcus Ware. Robinson has been much improved in the running game opening up holes for RBs but still isn't all the way there as a pass protector. Week 3 could be an enormous confidence booster for him as the Rams soon head into the regular season.

MLB Alec Ogletree
Ogletree was on this last week, but I'm putting him here again.

The Rams' first team defense struggled vs Kansas City last week, letting the Chiefs march all over them for a TD on the first drive. As the new leader of the defense, Ogletree was not happy with his unit's performance and it spilled over during practice this week when he got into scuffles with RBs Benny Cunningham and Todd Gurley. Look for Ogletree to take charge of the defense and get assignments corrected this week. The Rams backups and reserves have thrown shutouts vs the Cowboys and Chiefs but the first team defense has left a lot to be desired. This will be the best test yet before the regular season to work out the kinks.

Ram65

Legend
We should finally get see what the this years Rams are made up of. Lot's of questions around the WRs could be answered. Offensive play calling should be interesting to see. Let's see how Tree and the defense shapes up. It should be fun to watch but, not completely definitive about the up coming Rams season.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Cant fucking wait!!! Best day of the week is when the Rams play! Time needs to hurry the fuck up so the game can start already!

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
A lot of questions should be answered in this game can't wait to watch

TexasRam

Legend
Definitively a lot of questions to answer.

Some NFL careers may ride on this game:
Quick
Thomas
Williams
Reynolds
Lynch
Littleton
Forest

I would like to see if Troy Hill can continue to impress and push Joyner for that nickel spot.

I'd like to see more dominant play by Seau, Longacre, Littleton and Easley.

I'd like to see a safety step up.

Let's see some more oline pushing guys back and some Goff to Higbee 3rd down conversions.

Hell, I'd like to see Fisher let the kid air it out for once. Let's see an Ariel attack by Goff!

ViennaMax

Rookie
somebody watched the broncos in pre-season so far?
do they go full speed with their play calling or is it more fisher style?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Is this nationally televised? I have game pass, just wondering. DirecTV is unable to find any upcoming rams games so something is up with the search feature.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is this nationally televised? I have game pass, just wondering. DirecTV is unable to find any upcoming rams games so something is up with the search feature.

i have Dish and its on NFL Network @ 10pm EST.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have Direct TV too, and it's on my Local CBS network channel! @ 6:00pm PST.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For those in northern Nevada it's on fox 11 live at 6pm.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
My buddy is a Denver fan and him and I are turning off our phones and waiting until the morning to watch the game. I hate pre season sometimes.