Gaines has enjoyed stellar rookie season/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Gaines has enjoyed stellar rookie season
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e96ccb0b-215e-5555-8f53-84d7594bcf18.html

From the start, Rams safety Rodney McLeod could see that E.J. Gaines was not your typical rookie.

“From the first day of training camp, he had a knack for being around the ball, always at the right place at the right time,” said McLeod, a third-year pro. E.J. is “a real quiet guy who just goes out and does his job. But when you watch him on film, he shows up in a lot of areas from tackling from making plays on the ball.”

Gaines, who starred at the University of Missouri, was drafted by the Rams in the sixth round (188th overall) last May and has been an absolute steal. The 5-foot-10, 190-pounder is poised to make his 15th NFL start Sunday when the Rams (6-8) host the New York Giants (5-9) in a 3:05 p.m. game at the Edward Jones Dome.

Seeing action at both cornerback and nickel back, Gaines is currently fourth on the squad with 100 overall tackles, including 72 solos. He has a team-high 13 pass defenses to go along with two interceptions and a fumble recovery.

In the Rams’ most recent game, the 12-6 loss to the visiting Arizona Cardinals, Gaines recorded a career-best 13 tackles, including 10 solos.

“Just the way it worked out, I guess,” the 22-year-old Gaines said. “Just trying to make plays for my team.”

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been impressed with Gaines’ ability to adapt.

“I’m very proud (of him),” Williams said. “With all the different things we’ve thrown at him, he’s had to learn on the run and done a great job. ... I don’t know if you guys see how physical he plays. We put in the run front quite often. Early on, I was holding my breath to see if he was going to be able to hold up. He’s done very well. He picks his places to play pretty physical.”

Williams continued: “He hasn’t flinched. He’s grown very well and he’s done everything we’ve asked him to do.’’

Gaines, who started the final 37 games of his career at Mizzou and earned All-SEC honors as a senior, was initially disappointed about slipping into the third day of May’s draft but used that as motivation. He improved steadily in training camp and won the opening-day start at left corner after third-year pro Trumaine Johnson went down with a knee injury.

Later, when both Johnson and third-year starter Janoris Jenkins were at the corners, Gaines shifted to the nickel.

“I played some nickel and played a lot of man-to-man at Mizzou,” he said. “A lot of the things we did there are similar to what we do here. (Playing at nickel) took some getting used to, but the guys who played the position before, Rodney and Lamarcus (Joyner), have been extremely helpful.’’

Has Gaines’ play been a surprise?

“No, I wouldn’t say that,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “We drafted him because of his ability. He took advantage of an opportunity ... (and) has not batted an eye since. If there’s an element of surprise, it would be his ability to jump inside and play the nickel spot as well as he has.

“He’s an outstanding young man, he’s a smart football player. Does his job. Does it well.’’

His teammates and coaches aren’t surprised by Gaines’ play. But what about Gaines?

“I don’t think anybody saw this coming, but I definitely didn’t put it past myself,’’ he said. “I know I can play this game, so it was just a matter of getting a shot and making the most of it. And that’s what I’ve been able to do. I’m blessed.’’

INJURY REPORT

Defensive end Chris Long rested his ankle Friday and did not practice. He’s listed probable and expected to play Sunday.

Center Scott Wells and Davin Joseph received veteran’s days off earlier in the week and are also listed probable. The Rams expect to have the full 53-man roster available again on Sunday.

The Giants, coming off wins over Tennessee and Washington, also have a limited injury report. Running back Rashad Jennings, the team’s leading rusher with 606 yards, is out due to an ankle injury. He was limited to one 3-yard carry a week ago and has not practiced this week.

The only other Giant on the injury list is middle linebacker Jameel McClain (knee), who’s probable after practicing on Thursday and Friday. He leads the Giants with 101 overall tackles to go along with 2 ½ sacks and eight tackles for loss. He also has five quarterback hits, two passes defended and one forced fumble.KEENUM IN HOUSTON

Signed off the Rams’ practice squad earlier in the week, it appears quarterback Case Keenum will get the start Sunday when the Texans host the Baltimore Ravens.

Keenum, a Texas native who starred at the University of Houston, threw for 1,760 yards with nine touchdowns and six interceptions last year in eight starts _ and losses _ with the Texans a year ago. He also took part in the offseason program and was in training camp with Houston before being cut just before the start of the season. That’s when he was claimed off waivers by the Rams.

In recent weeks, the Texans have lost starting quarterbacks Ryan Mallett (torn pectoral muscle) and ex-Ram Ryan Fitzpatrick (broken leg) to injury. Rookie Tom Savage (knee) is unable to play, leaving the team to go with either Keenum or another ex-Ram, Thad Lewis, who signed three weeks ago.

“I’m happy for him,’’ Fisher said. “He left here in a hurry, so I didn’t get a chance to say goodbye. We spoke indirectly through his agent and I spoke with Houston. He does understand the system, having been there.... I hope he’s successful.’’

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
So... the two worst OL get 'veteran's days off'? Seems to me they need extra work, not less. If it's that they are all worn out, then they need to get the rest of the season off, get some rest on the bench, & let Jones & Person get some practice in. Otherwise they need to get back in practice & fix what's wrong. JMHO.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Wouldn't it be sorta funny if Keenum goes to Texas and lights it up these last couple of games?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
This might be another case of Fisher not sharing the fanbase's opinion (not that I'm defending Wells or Joseph). If he did, not only should they not be getting days off, they should be riding the pine if not outright cut.

As to why he wouldn't share such an opinion? I don't know. The Arizona game proved our OL still has issues.

FRO

Legend
This might be another case of Fisher not sharing the fanbase's opinion (not that I'm defending Wells or Joseph). If he did, not only should they not be getting days off, they should be riding the pine if not outright cut.

As to why he wouldn't share such an opinion? I don't know. The Arizona game proved our OL still has issues.
Maybe giving them time off gives the young guys quality practice reps and looks from the coaches. It's could be very possible that Wells and Joseph are the best we have at their spots. Fisher had no problem switching to Mason over Stacey and from Hill to Davis back to Hill. He will make changes when he sees it will be a benefit to winning, not giving guys looks. Looks are earned, not given.

That being said as a fan I do want to see Jones and Washington out there. Wells and Joseph suck.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If teams could have a chance to redo the draft, I think Gaines could go in the first round the way he's played so far.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Maybe giving them time off gives the young guys quality practice reps and looks from the coaches. It's could be very possible that Wells and Joseph are the best we have at their spots. Fisher had no problem switching to Mason over Stacey and from Hill to Davis back to Hill. He will make changes when he sees it will be a benefit to winning, not giving guys looks. Looks are earned, not given.

That being said as a fan I do want to see Jones and Washington out there. Wells and Joseph suck.
I would think letting the backups get in some work with the 1s is part of the rationale with ALL of the veterans' days off, whether said veterans are good or bad.

And I do agree with Fisher's philosophy. Take your practice looks and look good there before you earn a game look.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If teams could have a chance to redo the draft, I think Gaines could go in the first round the way he's played so far.

Good point. Odell Beckham might be the first player off the board. And Carr might switch places with Johnny Football.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good point. Odell Beckham might be the first player off the board. And Carr might switch places with Johnny Football.

Nah. Donald is the first player off the board easily. Not even a contest. Gaines and Robinson are still first round picks as well. But otherwise, I totally agree.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Buffalo sucks. Sammy Watkins would be a story if he was somewhere else imo.

RFIP , I know you're lurking. You know you want to like this.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd be real nervous if I was Joyner, and I wanted to start....Real nervous....Wally Pipped....

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
As I said.... If Wells was too tired to practice snapping this week, he should've ridden the bench. Either he needs to be held accountable, or Fisher does

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
EDIT: just saw Fisher said Wells is playing through an elbow injury. So, Tim Barnes & Barrett Jones are that bad that they can't replace an injured vet? How badly do we need to draft or get a F/A Center now?