Fullbacks, a Dying Breed? Zach Laskey making his case for spot on Rams' roster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fullbacks, a dying breed? Zach Laskey making his case for spot on Rams' roster
Elisabeth Meinecke
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...skey-and-the-state-of-the-nfl-fullback-052515

ST. LOUIS -- This offseason, Rams free-agent signee and recent college graduate Zach Laskey has a bigger hurdle to overcome than the moniker "undrafted."

He's trying to become the first true fullback to make the team's regular-season roster since Mike Karney in 2010, two years before current head coach Jeff Fisher came aboard.

Laskey is an intriguing candidate for the position. At Georgia Tech, he was listed as a B-back, and though productive enough to be a significant factor in Tech's rushing game, he couldn't irrevocably secure the starting job. Missing three games with a shoulder injury his senior year didn't help, though he still managed to land on the 2014 All-ACC Second Team.

During the 2015 draft, he got a call from the Tennessee Titans, who said they'd taken a running back in the fifth round, and might be taking another one in the seventh. They called again to let him know they weren't going to be able to pick him up in the draft, but wanted him in free agency. Right after that, Laskey heard from the Rams.

He says running backs coach Ben Sirmans sold him on coming to St. Louis.

"He just made me feel really welcome, and wanted," Laskey says. "He told me that if I came, I'd be the only fullback they'd bring in for training camp. At Tennessee, they were talking about using me as a third-down back, and a fullback. I knew they had drafted a fullback, so I figured St. Louis might be a better fit."

Even in St. Louis, however, he's up for a challenge. Last year, Fisher was content to use tight ends Corey Harkey and Lance Kendricks to fill the fullback gap, and that approach highlights a broader debate currently raging in the NFL about the necessity of traditional running game personnel. Former Ram Steven Jackson, for example, currently has a campaign to save the every-down running back. And not long ago, the NFL Network did an entire segment based on the premise of the devalued fullback. The clip featured former Seattle Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson using game film to prove why the position is still needed.

Laskey is the first to admit the fullbacks are a "dying breed."

"People don't use the fullback as much," he says. "But you look at the teams who are successful, they all have fullbacks, and a solid running game."

To a certain extent, he's right. If the Rams need any motivation to resurrect the fullback position, they can look to recent winners like division rival Seattle and current world champion New England Patriots, both of whom had traditional fullbacks on their roster last year. In fact, Tom Brady took time to praise fullback James Develin's contribution to Pro Football Talk's Michael David Smith, saying Develin is "the best fullback in the league," and that "he doesn't get as much credit for it because he doesn't get as many opportunities, but any time we call on him he delivers."

And if the Rams want any more proof, they can look at their own coach's history; Fisher's sole trip to the Super Bowl came with pro bowl fullback Lorenzo Neal helping Eddie George on his way to a career high in rushing yards that season. This year, the Rams' decision to draft Todd Gurley 10th overall seemed like a declaration that the running game isn't dead, and that maybe, as a byproduct, the fullback would find a home again, too.

That is, until you talk to Fisher, who sounds like he isn't sure at this point, either.

"We got the production out of Corey, we got the production at times out of Lance, and so we're gonna give Zach a chance to see, but both Corey and Lance, when they're on the field, don't necessarily have to line up as a fullback," Fisher says. "They can line up as a tight end. When you have someone like Zach there, he's going to line up as a fullback, so you're telling the defenses that you're in a two-back set, and, OK, here we go."

In all likelihood, Fisher says, Laskey's opportunity to make the roster will be heavily influenced by his ability to contribute on special teams. But the coach also likes what he sees from the rookie.

"He's smart, he's tough," Fisher says. "He's an outstanding blocker."

Meanwhile, Laskey will fight for the chance to prove all that on a pro roster this fall. There's a couple hurdles, however, he has to jump through first. His first order of business on transitioning to fullback, along with learning the playbook, is to add some weight.

"They want me to pick up a few more pounds," he said at the start of rookie camp in May. "I'm weighing in at 230 right now. I'd like to play around 240."

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Strange that he would pick the Rams since Fisher hasn't used a fullback since he got here.

TXRams86

The Infamous
i understand that this is a "passing league" but there has to be tremendous value to a QB when he doesn't have to throw the ball as much. i have always been an advocate of a traditional, power i running game. it puts stress on the defense to defend the run and allows the opportunity for play action. isn't this what Fisher has been trying to implement? power running game with play action opportunities? seems like a no-brainer to carry a fullback on the roster. sure, guys like Harkey or Kendricks can fill the role if necessary but wouldn't we wanna reserve those guys to blocking the outside or catching the ball? roster spots are precious though, so i could see this going either way. wish the guy all the luck in the world.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
i understand that this is a "passing league" but there has to be tremendous value to a QB when he doesn't have to throw the ball as much. i have always been an advocate of a traditional, power i running game. it puts stress on the defense to defend the run and allows the opportunity for play action. isn't this what Fisher has been trying to implement? power running game with play action opportunities? seems like a no-brainer to carry a fullback on the roster. sure, guys like Harkey or Kendricks can fill the role if necessary but wouldn't we wanna reserve those guys to blocking the outside or catching the ball? roster spots are precious though, so i could see this going either way. wish the guy all the luck in the world.
You said the magic words "roster spots are precious" I just can't see a guy that only plays fullback make this roster. I would have loved that kid from Alabama though.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I hope this kid is a special teams demon as this team could really use a FB on the roster, IMO.

He was 225 lbs. for his Pro Day. He's 230 lbs. now. Hopefully, he can get up to 240 without any problems.

Maybe it's just me, but even if he isn't the greatest blocker (neither are Kendricks or Harkey as lead blockers anyway), I just love the idea of having a FB in the backfield that could actually be a threat to run the football once a RB splits out wide.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Strange that he would pick the Rams since Fisher hasn't used a fullback since he got here.

Did he use one in TN at all? I don't remember seeing anyone lead block for EGeorge. Maybe it would have helped though ahahha.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Did he use one in TN at all? I don't remember seeing anyone lead block for EGeorge. Maybe it would have helped though ahahha.

They had a great FB for Eddie, Lorenzo Neal. We do use a fullback but more of a hybrid in Harkey. He's great blocking and probably better receiver than any FB would be.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
They had a great FB for Eddie, Lorenzo Neal. We do use a fullback but more of a hybrid in Harkey. He's great blocking and probably better receiver than any FB would be.
I agree 100% we use Harkey out of the backfield as a fullback and that's why I don't think this kid has chance. A lot of people are saying Harkey is not great at blocking but he was hurt last year. A healthy Harkey is a beast.

Memphis Ram

Legend

I like Harkey, but that's where I disagree. He might be a great blocker inline and on traps, but as a lead blocker on an ISO play, he might be solid at best. Re-watching these games, it amazed me how he seemed to catch blocks on those plays vs. physically destroying LBs in the hole. And as a pass catcher, I think it would be nice to have a FB that some of the OLineman can't outrun, but that's JMHO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I hope this kid is a special teams demon as this team could really use a FB on the roster, IMO.

He was 225 lbs. for his Pro Day. He's 230 lbs. now. Hopefully, he can get up to 240 without any problems.

Maybe it's just me, but even if he isn't the greatest blocker (neither are Kendricks or Harkey as lead blockers anyway), I just love the idea of having a FB in the backfield that could actually be a threat to run the football once a RB splits out wide.

When I saw this topic I was thinking... Memphis gonna love this. (y)

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
In any case, he isn't making this roster just as a FB. He needs to prove his worth on special teams or in the passing game to even have a shot. There is no room for one dimensional players on Fisher's team at the moment.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Named to 2014 All-ACC Second Team by media and coaches ... Saw action in 11 games, starting seven ... Missed three games (Pittsburgh, Virginia and NC State) due to injury ... Rushed for 851 yards and team-best nine touchdowns (5.0 yards per carry) ... Lost only two yards on 171 rushes ... Added six receptions for 49 yards and one touchdown

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=122339&draftyear=2015&genpos=FB

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/history/1850774

Laskey look to be a tweener here about 60% FB & 40 % RB type to me. Has some skills as a LB'er candidate too. So Special Teams could see a lot of him early.

Rams have another similar player to Laskey in Brad Smelley who is 6-3 235 pounds they claim he is a TE too. Smelley is NO FB either. I would say his biggest effort to this date is making Trent Richardson an ultra high first rd RB in the NFL draft blocking for him. Still what Smelley can do for the Rams should come in making key 3rd down catches out of the backfield in crucial short-yardage situations for Foles. Smelley can do a great job of blocking in the backfield for Foles & free himself up in the open field like a tight end main thing here is Smelley has super reliable hands. Drafted by Browns in 2012 then went to Texans in 2013 the Rams in 2014 on PS now signed back up in 2105.

I am no expert here on todays FB's....but Harkey (& most know I really like this player) is no FB. He has always been the second TE in the lineup. Harkey entire career has been used mostly as an extra effective blocker in the running game. But as we have seen Harkey is very good @ moving his girth & large frame. Harkey @ 6-4 260 plus pounds is what some call a Move Back or H back or I am fine with Tight End tag too. But he sure does not fit the FB tag either.

Its also apparent that Fisher likes a Cory Harkey Clone in TE Justice Cunningham is also one serious load @ 6-3 260 too. Drafted by Colts in 2013 but released later in the season Fisher picked him up late in 2013 & he rode the PS till the end. Came back in 2014 where we saw him a lot in pre season but hands were not good.

Then there is more competition for Laskey too in another 6-4 260 Alex Bayer who has magic hands but is NOT a LOS TE. Besides the good size he is a nice functional wham blocker like Lance Kendricks. Proven sure reliable short-area receiver as we have seen where Bayer hauls in off-target throws. Has some nasty & tenacity to the field. A well respected team captain in college & who was very durable experienced 3 year starter. Now coming into his second TC & pre season it will be interesting to see the growth in him too.

In conclusion after the nice size cap cash $$ invested in (Wam)Lance Kendricks & the resigning Cory Harkey to go with Jared Cooke who may end up being used more & more as a down field receiver there is not much room to squeeze in to many more of these types.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Maybe Laskey has really got a chance.

Offenses implementing more zone blocking concepts typically don't use bigger, slower guys like Harkey at FB.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Wouldn't mind having a fullback who can catch swing passes on occasion. Defenses key on the HB and a good FB can make some plays. I thought Tom Rathman was pretty good at that in SF. How's this kid in the passing game?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The more I read, the more I believe, This is going to be a really fun pre-season. to watch the position ' Battles ' play out!:D

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Laskey smart kid and I feel he's got a great chance because he does run well not sure how he catches the football because Paul Johnson & his Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech do not pass that often to their backs, however, I concur with others would not mind a FB on the squad.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Maybe Laskey has really got a chance.

Offenses implementing more zone blocking concepts typically don't use bigger, slower guys like Harkey at FB.
The West Coast concepts use more traditional FB roles in them ....for what that is worth...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Laskey smart kid and I feel he's got a great chance because he does run well not sure how he catches the football because Paul Johnson & his Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech do not pass that often to their backs, however, I concur with others would not mind a FB on the squad.
he is a bit rough on the equipment though!!
Screenshot_2015-06-05-23-15-38.png