Free agent WR Nick Truesdell signs with Vikings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm having deja vu to last year's draft when "The German Randy Moss" was a viral highlight show. Boeriger or something like that

Psycho_X

Legend
If he doesn't cost a draft pick and minimal pay I'm all for giving the kid a tryout if McSnead is comfortable with his attitude.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Buyer beware. I have a feeling there's more to him than we know. If he was that good he woulda been playing somewhere in the NFL by now, past issues notwithstanding. There might be something wrong with his game or something else. If they can bring him in to camp and see for themselves, fine. But I don't see them getting into a bidding war for him.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
hes got the best chance to make a roster with the Rams. We need all the WRs we can get it doesn't hurt to give him a shot in training camp. If he sucks hes gone and I'm sure the contract is very cheap with no guarantees

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Work out warrior.

I don't discount the Arena League though. We all know how it helped Kurt with timing and placement of the ball... it also requires super fast decision making. There could always be jems floating around there. At least we're flipping over every rock in our WR search.

This guy's ability to never stick anywhere seems more telling than his Pajama Olympics to me. Something sure seems WAY off.

Ram65

Legend
Well reasons why not include that the Rams are putting a new system into place, and need coaching time for the returning players. A raw player who hasn't caught on elsewhere despite multiple opportunities could work out, but likely will take development time away from others. The behavioral history isn't exactly good either.

He ran a 4.47 at 6’6 and 252 pounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Truesdell
I reread the stories and looked into his limited stays in the NFL. They were literally days days on the rosters. Never really got much if any shot on the field. His earlier trouble were seven plus years ago and really that bad. Like I said he keeps trying which shows he is serious. Those numbers quoted above are crazy good. The Rams don't have much in the WR/TE that have proven anything in the NFL. I don't believe he takes away anything from other players learning the new system. This guy could be the mismatch WR/TE the Rams and every team is looking for. He may be a nobody but, the Rams can't afford not to find out for the price of a small contract.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I talked to several scouts who said Truesdell straight murdered the veteran combine. He ran a 4.47 at 6’6 and 252 pounds. The teams ran him through drills and that was more than enough. We are learning that by the time he went to the airport, over six teams had already called his agent and began offering contracts.
Talent trumps all...and he's stayed outta trouble for several years. Yall should know me....bring this kid in. Hell, his numbers look better than Golladay who I also like. And Robert Davis...

MauiRam

Rookie
For some players with a troubled past, good mentoring/leadership can accelerate "the light" going on. For others - it never will period. Gray matter plays a big part in "the light" going on. McVay appears intrigued, so why not kick the tires. McVay may or may not evolve into a great head coach, but however that works out, I believe McVay himself has the "gray matter" thing in spades. If he can bring Truesdell to camp and preseason for a test drive, I say go for it. It's not like the guy is asking for ten million. No harm in checking him out - due diligence - no stone unturned ..

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...igning-arena-league-tight-end-nick-truesdell/

Report: Vikings signing Arena League tight end Nick Truesdell
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 30, 2017

The Minnesota Vikings are bringing in a former Arena League player that made a significant impression during pro combine testing last weekend.

According to Tom Pelissero of USA Today, the Vikings are signing tight end Nick Truesdell after an impressive showing that saw him post a 4.6-second 40-yard dash time while measuring in at 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds.

Truesdell has played for six different teams in the Arena Football League and Indoor Football League with just one previous opportunity on an NFL roster. He spent a brief three-day stint with the Indianapolis Colts in 2016 before being released early in training camp. He’s also been invited in as a tryout player for rookie mini-camps with the Cincinnati Bengals, Tennessee Titans and Green Bay Packers in past years.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Fendi Onobun... out of the league

Moritz Boehringer... drafted 6th round... cut...

The latter was drafted by the Vikings, interestingly enough.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Moritz Boehringer... drafted 6th round... cut...
He was cut, then signed to the practice squad. He later decided to return to rugby for some championship.
Totally different set of circumstances. Language barrier, and this guy barely played ball in HS....or college...Then joined some type of pro-club out there. He was clueless when it came to intricacies of the game. Still a phenomenal athlete. I would have loved to see how he improved in season 2.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He was cut, then signed to the practice squad. He later decided to return to rugby for some championship.
Totally different set of circumstances. Language barrier, and this guy barely played ball in HS....or college...Then joined some type of pro-club out there. He was clueless when it came to intricacies of the game. Still a phenomenal athlete. I would have loved to see how he improved in season 2.

True, different circumstances.

Only pointing out the interest generated off the measurables.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Work out warrior.

Yup! This is the problem sometimes with various coaches, GM's, and scouts, (Fisher...cough...Snead...cough), they get "wowed" by a player at the Combine and on Pro Days due to athletic ability alone. Some work out, many don't. Heart, desire, and brain matter counts as well.
https://athlonsports.com/nfl/10-most-athletic-freaks-nfl-combine-history-2016

Tony Mandarich
In hindsight, the most impressive thing the “Incredible Bulk” did was pass his steroid drug screening during the Combine. At 304 pounds, Mandarich ran a 4.65 in the 40, exploded for a 30” vertical and 10’3” broad jump, and ripped off 39 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press.

Mike Mamula
After all these years, Mamula remains the go-to cautionary tale of the Combine. The BC beast vaulted up draft boards after a 4.58 in the 40, 28 reps of 225 pounds on the bench, a 38” vertical and a 49-of-50 on the Wonderlic Test. Mamula never looked as good in pads as he did in shorts.

Robert Griffin III
The fastest quarterback in Combine history, RG3 was a track star on the fast track to NFL (at least initially) and commercial superstardom — with a blistering 4.41 in the 40-yard dash to go along with a dunk contest-worthy 39” vertical.

Vernon Gholston
One of the main reasons teams remain skeptical of off-the-charts Combine stats, Gholston was the classic “look like Tarzan, play like Jane.” In shorts and a muscle shirt, Gholston ran a 4.67 in the 40, had 37 reps on the bench and lifted off for a 35.5” vertical and 10.5” broad jump.
Throw in Tim Tebow, Aaron Curry and many others that don't come to mind at the moment and it goes to show what a crapshoot signing the right players really is. Hope Truesdell stick with the Vikings and does well but the odds are against him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Throw in Tim Tebow, Aaron Curry and many others that don't come to mind at the moment and it goes to show what a crapshoot signing the right players really is.
Don;t forget Fendi Onobun!! I would almost throw Adam Archuleta in that conversation also. He did have a couple good seasons with the Rams, which was enough for "The Danny" to drive a Brinks truck full of $$$ to his house. What a terrible FA signing THAT was. The Foreskins love Rams castoffs....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Don;t forget Fendi Onobun!! I would almost throw Adam Archuleta in that conversation also. He did have a couple good seasons with the Rams, which was enough for "The Danny" to drive a Brinks truck full of $$$ to his house. What a terrible FA signing THAT was. The Foreskins love Rams castoffs....

Yeah, I stuck with the more well known players. Looked up Fendi Onobun. He was quite a specimen.

fendi_onobun_2011_08_26.jpg

6'6" and 260 lbs with a 4.48-40 yd dash.

Onobun signed a four-year $1.92 million deal with a signing bonus of $129,000. Onobun, considered a risky pick, made the St. Louis Rams opening day roster in 2010. He was waived during final cuts on September 3, 2011. After that he went the practice squad route with the Seahawks, Jaguars, Bills, and Bears. He was waived/injured in 2014 and dropped off the NFL map.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, I stuck with the more well known players. Looked up Fendi Onobun. He was quite a specimen.

fendi_onobun_2011_08_26.jpg

6'6" and 260 lbs with a 4.48-40 yd dash.

Onobun signed a four-year $1.92 million deal with a signing bonus of $129,000. Onobun, considered a risky pick, made the St. Louis Rams opening day roster in 2010. He was waived during final cuts on September 3, 2011. After that he went the practice squad route with the Seahawks, Jaguars, Bills, and Bears. He was waived/injured in 2014 and dropped off the NFL map.
Look up his pro day workout vid. Dude looked other worldly. Unfortunately, it just never translated to football (he was a basketball player in college).