Free Agency Signings Will Personify McVay!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Will he be like Jeff Fisher and focus on players that have only been property of the Washington Redskins? Will he be like Milquetoast Linehan and just do whatever his defensive coordinator tells him to do or will he be like Steve Spagnuolo and go for one year rentals on players that best days are behind them?

Hopefully none of the above, but if the Rams start looking like Redskin West I’m going to be somewhat concerned. I don’t mind maybe one or two signings, but let’s hope unlike under past regimes the Wunderkind can showcase he is truly beyond his years to not focus on players that are (FOSM) Friends of Sean McVay.

This is also an area where General Manager Les Snead needs to stand up and showcase he’s improved in this area. If the Rams let Trumaine Johnson walk, they will need to sign a significant Cornerback a wide receiver and an offensive lineman and the Rams cannot afford to whiff in free agency like they did time and time again under Jeff Fisher Kenny Britt & Williams Hayes notwithstanding.

For this franchise to take a major step forward free agency will enable us to have a good barometer as to the direction of this regime and although I do believe you build through the draft, you need to sign serviceable free agents to enhance the roster and the Los Angeles Rams have not been successful at this for quite some time IMHO.

I am looking forward to the 9th of March because it’s obvious that ESK will spare no expense, but this regime needs to be able to add players that can make a contribution laying the foundation in order to restore this franchise back into the upper echelon of the National Football League!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love the idea of signing a splash player... but I think I'd rather our approach be to spread the available budget across the tier two free agents.
  1. We can sign more players
  2. Lower risk... most FA are free for a reason
Great topic, Den.

Edit: I do think Sean would like a Washington WR to help deploy things offensively, if the fit is mutual. But that's a guess.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think we are far better suited to attract top offensive FAs than we were. It's not even close. Not only does McVay have clout and production around the league, but he's also very smart and will prove to be just as good bringing in the key pieces he wants as he was bringing in a great staff. On top of all that you have LA. We are positioned very well.

Defensively Phillips is one of a very short list of DCs who improve our ability to attract defensive talent over the old regime. Top CBs for example will now look at LA as a premier destination this offseason, so IF a guy like Bouye hits the market we're in play as a strong contender. But either way they will bring in a couple pieces on defense. I suspect it will be affordable types with the quality coming in the draft (I believe round 2 is highly likely to be CB) but that whole strategy will be determined by which players make the market.

Definitely an exciting time to be a Rams fan though. I have very high hopes for this regime.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Great post Den.....as FA will go a long way in determining how quickly they want to turn this thing around. I think if we come out of this FA period with at least one OL (Leary possibly as I don't Cin letting Zeitler walk), a CB (Bouye/Tru), and a WR (Garcon/Wheaton), then the draft will be much easier. We could sign both Garcon and Wheatly and not have to get a WR in the draft, pickup a CB with one o our early picks 2nd/3rd, and address the C position (Toth) in round 4. But I agree, how they approach FA will give us a clue as to how our season will look moving forward.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have the money, the new Coaching Staff, and a history of losing that's just this side of the Detroit Lions. The premier guys have to want to come, or else everything else is irrelevant. imo.

Last edited:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just get me Brandon Albert and Desean Jackson. Signed... Jared Goff.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Will he be like Jeff Fisher and focus on players that have only been property of the Washington Redskins? Will he be like Milquetoast Linehan and just do whatever his defensive coordinator tells him to do or will he be like Steve Spagnuolo and go for one year rentals on players that best days are behind them?

Hopefully none of the above, but if the Rams start looking like Redskin West I’m going to be somewhat concerned. I don’t mind maybe one or two signings, but let’s hope unlike under past regimes the Wunderkind can showcase he is truly beyond his years to not focus on players that are (FOSM) Friends of Sean McVay.

This is also an area where General Manager Les Snead needs to stand up and showcase he’s improved in this area. If the Rams let Trumaine Johnson walk, they will need to sign a significant Cornerback a wide receiver and an offensive lineman and the Rams cannot afford to whiff in free agency like they did time and time again under Jeff Fisher Kenny Britt & Williams Hayes notwithstanding.

For this franchise to take a major step forward free agency will enable us to have a good barometer as to the direction of this regime and although I do believe you build through the draft, you need to sign serviceable free agents to enhance the roster and the Los Angeles Rams have not been successful at this for quite some time IMHO.

I am looking forward to the 9th of March because it’s obvious that ESK will spare no expense, but this regime needs to be able to add players that can make a contribution laying the foundation in order to restore this franchise back into the upper echelon of the National Football League!
One week from today we'll have a pretty good Idea IF you (and I) will get your wish!!(y);)

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's my FA take...

I don't see the crowd pleasing tier 1 signings for us this year so much.

But I do see more FA signings than usual. Several for solid starter types.

WR
OG/OT
C
LB
CB
FS

Probably 4 or more of the above.

I foresee TruJo as less than 50-50 to be extended, freeing up $12 million more cap dollars for 2 of the above positions.

I see the draft for another 2-3 possible starters.

I think we're gonna be just fine.

As an aside, our new FS may be already on the roster should TJM walk. Depends on what Wade thinks, of course, but I'm optimistic that this Randolph kid could be our next McLeod. I'm serious.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great post Den.....as FA will go a long way in determining how quickly they want to turn this thing around. I think if we come out of this FA period with at least one OL (Leary possibly as I don't Cin letting Zeitler walk), a CB (Bouye/Tru), and a WR (Garcon/Wheaton), then the draft will be much easier. We could sign both Garcon and Wheatly and not have to get a WR in the draft, pickup a CB with one o our early picks 2nd/3rd, and address the C position (Toth) in round 4. But I agree, how they approach FA will give us a clue as to how our season will look moving forward.
I think we can wait until the 3rd or 4th round for a CB, the Draft is deep at that position! I think we should go O-Line or Pass rusher ( LDE/OLB) and maybe a WR, before we look at secondary help! JMHO!

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

A solid Post Topic coach den... I always appreciate topics from ROD members that make you think and ponder subjects relating to the next seasonal event in the NFL. Free Agency is going to be here in a blink and McVay's first crop of signed players is the hot topic right now.

Like you coach den, I put much of this years free agent signings on McVay & Wade. If they can't convince themselves to convince Demoff/Kroenke to over spend on a couple of top tier players and another couple of medium tier signings.......... I will be discouraged that they are playing it safe in McVay's first year on the job.

I realize Money always has more pull than team preference or coaching staff pedigree but the HC is accountable for convincing ownership to go for the gusto on premium free agent players that they covet.

I'm guessing 95% of the film review evaluation on the current Rams roster has been done by the staff and surely they see the same if not more holes on the roster than we all have. Bad coaching from the Fisher staff or not... This team needs some upgrades and better not settle for signing only a few journeyman veterans for depth like we have gotten so used to the last few years.

Make some noise McVay... Some prices will be ridiculous but if it's a must have free agent that fits your scheme and long term plans, CONVINCE Demoff to offer the extra coin.

logo-nfl-free-agency__150x150.png

giphy.gif

Ram65

Legend

Hopefully none of the above, but if the Rams start looking like Redskin West I’m going to be somewhat concerned. I don’t mind maybe one or two signings, but let’s hope unlike under past regimes the Wunderkind can showcase he is truly beyond his years to not focus on players that are (FOSM) Friends of Sean McVay

You have think McVay will go in the Redskin direction early. They have two WR that he should be highly considering in Garcon and Jackson. I don't believe he will focus on players that are (FOSM) Friends of Sean McVay. I'm not sure what strategy the Rams are going to use as far as quantity or quality. Bringing in a high quality offensive lineman could set the stage to finally improve the line for the future and Goff. Garcon might come in as a higher mid signing. We don't have a history to go on for McVay. It's up in the air till it happens.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
We have the money, the new Coaching Staff, and a history of losing that's just this side of the Detroit Lions. The premier guys have to want to come, or else everything else is irrelevant. imo.

That money would be better spent on Aaron Donald rather than JAG type players that won't be on the team in 2 years.

A55VA6

Legend
All I know is we need to make a few key signings. Need some good vets that can play.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I dont give a damn if McVay brings in players he has already worked with.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the "friends of ______" thing.

Just bring in good players that help us win. If they help us win, I dont give a shit where he finds them.... family reunions, church, death row.... whatever.
If they are good and help us get better and win more games, I dont care at all where they come from or who they are friends with.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

Great write up! Good points. Thanks for posting!

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
I personally think we need to go after Brandon Marshall, Woods, Bouye.

We have enough receivers with untapped ceilings. Bring in an elite receiver and cornerback to learn from, a very underrated young receiver in Woods, and then work our magic in the draft.

We could make the playoffs this year, with just a couple KEY signings.