Former RB McKnight murdered

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
No words, beyond sad.

A shooting in Terrytown Thursday afternoon (Dec. 1) left a man dead after an argument at an intersection, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office.

Family members at the scene identified the victim as Joe McKnight, a former NFL player and local high school football standout. McKnight, 28, who went to John Curtis Christian School in River Ridge, played college football for USC, and then went on to play for the New York Jets and Kansas City Chiefs. He also played in the Canadian Football League.

A 2010 photo of Joe McKnight of the New York Jets. (AP Photo)NFL
The shooting, reported about 3 p.m., occurred at the intersection of Behrman Highway and Holmes Boulevard.

A witness, who declined to give her name, said she was leaving a store in the area when she saw a man at the intersection yelling at another man, who was trying to apologize. The man who was yelling shot the other man more than once, she said.

She said the shooter shot the man, stood over him and said "I told you don't you f--- with me." Then he fired again, she said.

The victim's body was on Behrman Highway, surrounded by a shield.

For more on this developing story, click here

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
THREE PM!?!?!?

What a fucking tragedy. The shooter should be put in jail forever. RIP young man.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Rest in peace, Joe McKnight. I hope they catch the person who did this.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Terrible.
Guy's trying to apologize and gets shot multiple times.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
what a sad, sick story.

Only 28 years old...smdh

Psycho_X

Legend
Terrible.
Guy's trying to apologize and gets shot multiple times.

It is disgusting, there's a lot of angry, heartless people out there these days. Seems like road rage and entitled attitudes are becoming more rampant by the day. People who think it's worth killing someone over a traffic accident is unreal. I find it hard not to hate more and more people daily.

lockdnram21

Legend
Wow, that seems quick. Maybe more to the story than what we know I guess? Not sure how they could release someone who shot someone to death unless there was good proof that it was in self defense. Especially after reports that he shot him again after he was already shot once and on the ground.
If u say so

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Louisiana has a “stand your ground” law.

“A homicide is justifiable . . . when committed in self-defense by one who reasonably believes that he is in imminent danger of losing his life or receiving great bodily harm and that the killing is necessary to save himself from that danger,” the law states.

“A person who is not engaged in unlawful activity and who is in a place where he or she has a right to be shall have no duty to retreat before using deadly force as provided for in this Section, and may stand his or her ground and meet force with force.”

As to the McKnight killing, key factual questions include identifying the aggressor and determining whether either party had disengaged from the exchange before it became deadly. Although further investigation may lead to the conclusion that the man who shot McKnight was not acting in self defense, the authorities have heard enough at this point to neither arrest nor charge a man who shot and killed another person less than 24 hours ago.

Surely, the “stand your ground” law was a major factor in the decision to set the shooter free.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wow....I hope the incident was caught on video...pretty sure it would shock most of us...

Ellard80

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Louisiana has a “stand your ground” law.

“A homicide is justifiable . . . when committed in self-defense by one who reasonably believes that he is in imminent danger of losing his life or receiving great bodily harm and that the killing is necessary to save himself from that danger,” the law states.

“A person who is not engaged in unlawful activity and who is in a place where he or she has a right to be shall have no duty to retreat before using deadly force as provided for in this Section, and may stand his or her ground and meet force with force.”

As to the McKnight killing, key factual questions include identifying the aggressor and determining whether either party had disengaged from the exchange before it became deadly. Although further investigation may lead to the conclusion that the man who shot McKnight was not acting in self defense, the authorities have heard enough at this point to neither arrest nor charge a man who shot and killed another person less than 24 hours ago.

Surely, the “stand your ground” law was a major factor in the decision to set the shooter free.

I'm sure it was. However I guessing he will get at the least charged with manslaughter.. although it looks like 2nd degree murder.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I just caught a local newscast out of Louisiana.

The police interviewed the gunman and several witnesses before deciding to release the gunman. This is bad.

This is effed up.

Stand your ground laws need to be strictly modified or done away with. Too often people shoot to kill and they don't need to.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Some reading material for you @EasyE

If it's legal to shoot someone that is unarmed because of nothing more than a confrontational argument the law needs revision. I'm not against it, I'm against how it's being manipulated. And the large majority of people being shot are not armed, and in many cases are not the ones who initiated the situation.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...s-some-shocking-outcomes-depending-on/1233133

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/09/stand-your-ground-florida-bill-baxley/

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
I find it interesting that the guy who shot and killed former Saint player, Will Smith under similar circumstances is still sitting in jail and had his mugshot/life story all over the news the next day. The stories are very similar too. Both stayed on scene and waited for cops to arrive. Both killed an unarmed man.

But this guy is out the next day and still have no info or mugshot. All we know is race and age. I don't want to say race played a factor but hard not to think that way. I will wait for all the details to come out before getting too upset though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Here come the heated arguments by folks who did not see what happened. Mix in some clashing political views and you got yourself a nice recipe for solving the country's problems.