Former punter Chris Kluwe to sue Vikings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he left the idea that he was cut for having a different political opinion than his coaches out of it, he doesn't have much of a case or even standing to sue even if the coach used some words he didn't like.

Comparing a football practice field, locker room or field of play to an office is probably not going to fly well. It's a very different and testosterone filled environment.

If we were talking about two players, you'd have a point. A coach is a coach. No reason to excuse that sort of behavior.

If it goes on in the locker-room between players, it's the locker-room. But a coach should not be taking part in that sort of stuff.

If it's true, that coach should be punished. Even if he's no longer with Minnesota. If the Vikings knew it was happening, they need to be punished.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If we were talking about two players, you'd have a point. A coach is a coach. No reason to excuse that sort of behavior.

If it goes on in the locker-room between players, it's the locker-room. But a coach should not be taking part in that sort of stuff.

If it's true, that coach should be punished. Even if he's no longer with Minnesota. If the Vikings knew it was happening, they need to be punished.
Bear in mind, I don't use slurs and think it's small minded to do so, but if the NFL has a priority list, there needs to be a LOT on it higher than punishing people for using words others were offended by. And there's CERTAINLY much higher priorities for the Justice System than using their power to force political correctness.

It's important to note that Kluwe never brought this up until he was out of football. He's just a bitter man whose dream ended too soon, and now he's playing the White Knight to stay in the spotlight. If the language coaches used was that offensive to him, well, congratulations, he's out of football and doesn't have to listen to it any more.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bear in mind, I don't use slurs and think it's small minded to do so, but if the NFL has a priority list, there needs to be a LOT on it higher than punishing people for using words others were offended by. And there's CERTAINLY much higher priorities for the Justice System than using their power to force political correctness.

It's important to note that Kluwe never brought this up until he was out of football. He's just a bitter man whose dream ended too soon, and now he's playing the White Knight to stay in the spotlight. If the language coaches used was that offensive to him, well, congratulations, he's out of football and doesn't have to listen to it any more.

If the only thing you see is political correctness here, I have nothing more to say to you.

Last edited:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He was also a mediocre punter...but let's not consider that part of the equation.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If the only thing you see is political correctness here, I have nothing more to say to you.
It's political correctness plus Kluwe's inability to get over himself, both in terms of whether he deserves an NFL job, and whether he's more politically enlightened than anyone else.

But in the end, what it comes down to is that it is not the government's job to make sure no one is offended. If Kluwe wanted people to boycott the Vikings, or write letters to the NFL's sponsors or any other solution through the open market, I wouldn't agree with him but more power to him.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
In what other field is it acceptable for a manager to direct slurs at employees? He has a right to be angry.

It happens all the time in the "locker room environment" and most likely it was not directed at him and was something he participated in. Guys I work with (in our small group of 5 or 6 guys) trade shots all the time.

fearsomefour

Legend
To me a person in a position of power displays a real lack of character to embarrass, harass or hold that power over a subject.
Boss-employee, coach-player, teacher-student ect. It certainly would not be acceptable to me if I owned the team.
Sadly I have heard many of the same sorts of things said to high school players by coaches. Society has changed. When I was younger we expected to hear that sort of stuff from coaches, they were dicks. Maybe we were more conditioned to it. Didnt make it right. The disgusting part there is an adult in a position of power over a child (often on the field and the classroom) taking advantage of it to embarrass the kid and I guess feel better about themselves. An adult feeling the need to talk to another adult that way (in a work boss/employee setting) is just beyond pathetic. Frankly, I don't see how the NFL is exempted from laws regarding this stuff. Between players in the locker room, ok, that is different because they are peers.
I find Kluwe to be very arrogant.
There is no case for him regarding his work. Making a report public?
Maybe.