Former Jets DE, Mark Gastineau, diagnosed with dementia, Alzheimer’s, Parkinsons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJ4l4JoCjs

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...iagnosed-with-dementia-alzheimers-parkinsons/

Mark Gastineau diagnosed with dementia, Alzheimer’s, Parkinsons
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 20, 2017

gastineau.jpg
Getty Images

Former Jets defensive end Mark Gastineau said during a radio interview with WOR that he’s been diagnosed with multiple brain problems, which he traces back to his days in football.

“When my results came back, I had dementia, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s,” Gastineau said, via Seth Walder of the New York Daily News. “Those were three things that I have.”

The 60-year-old Gastinueau traced the illnesses back to his days in the NFL. He played 10 seasons with the Jets, registering 74.0 sacks, with 41.0 of those coming in 1983 and 1984. He also boxed professionally after leaving football.

And while he said football was the beginning of his problems (“I led with my head all the time,” he said) he also wanted to use his plight to educate others.

“You know, my first reaction was that I didn’t believe it. I couldn’t believe it,” Gastineau said. “My second reaction was how can I help other people coming in to the NFL? That’s what it’s all about. . . .

“I know that there’s techniques out there that if I would have had ‘em, if I would have had the techniques out there that I’m teaching now to these kids, I know I would not be probably, . . . I know I wouldn’t have the results that I have now. ‘

Gastineau serves as an ambassador for USA Football, and said the Heads Up Football program was a way to protect future generations of players.

“I don’t want [my diagnosis] to over shadow the Heads Up Program,” he said. “I want it to be a warning to mothers and fathers to be able to put their kids in the safe places to be able to carry on a team sports that I think is going to be way more beneficial for them than if they didn’t have it in their lives.”

While Gastineau’s diagnosis is obviously terrible news, he wants to use his platform to make the game safer. Whether the moms who hear his message are able to separate the former from the latter might be a more difficult sell.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When he was on his game, this guy was a beast. Barely remember him boxing.

Again, the game needs to start annuities and health plans for the entire league. If Mark has all this, what the hell is Brockers & Donald doing? I'm sure it's certain individuals are more susceptible, but we need to be prepared for the guys that don't have the skulls to handle this game.

Bruce2980

Starter
When he was on his game, this guy was a beast. Barely remember him boxing.

Again, the game needs to start annuities and health plans for the entire league. If Mark has all this, what the hell is Brockers & Donald doing? I'm sure it's certain individuals are more susceptible, but we need to be prepared for the guys that don't have the skulls to handle this game.
My uncle has Alzheimer's, never played football, same goes for my grandmother.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-confirm-metal-devastating-brain-disease.html

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gastineau always had a screw loose. Could probably be argued the dude was nuts a long time ago. Sad though.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I was so proud of our guys when they went after Gastineau when he did his lame dance. That kind of shit wasn't tolerated back then. There was much more respect shown.

Whenever I see or hear Gastineau's name... the 1st thing that comes to my mind is that fight after the dance. I remember it like it was just yesterday.

Nowadays... players dance for making a routine tackle.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I was so proud of our guys when they went after Gastineau when he did his lame dance. That kind of crap wasn't tolerated back then. There was much more respect shown.

Whenever I see or hear Gastineau's name... the 1st thing that comes to my mind is that fight after the dance. I remember it like it was just yesterday.

Nowadays... players dance for making a routine tackle.

Watch the vid on Youtube, click the link to follow it and go to 2:50.

Ferragamo comes in fast from the right and gets in the mix and takes out a Jet player LOL.

Funny stuff.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Watch the vid on Youtube, click the link to follow it and go to 2:50.

Ferragamo comes in fast from the right and gets in the mix and takes out a Jet player LOL.

Funny stuff.

The Italian Stallion baby.

Hell Yeah!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Gastineau always had a screw loose. Could probably be argued the dude was nuts a long time ago. Sad though.
Sad News, sorry for him, But the Boxing, all those hits to the Head couldn't have helped either! Having been a Boxer for a short time I know from personal experience!:dizzy: " In my last Fight, I got Decked 5 times, got up quick 6 times, and the next day I didn't even remember the Fight! I quit after that experience!:shades:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I never was a fan of him or his antics but I will always respect him for absolutely cold-cocking overrated Blow Montana in a Pro Bowl game -- which of course put the NFL media in a tizzy since it was taboo to touch their little precious baby Montana without it being a penalty, let alone actually hit him for real in a Pro Bowl exhibition.

London59

Rookie
Name
London59
This!

So tired of lazy reporting and bandwagoneers. Anyone can get the above, including football players.

Uhhhh, I believe studies have shown the cases are dramatically higher for football players and actual doctors are attributing cases to repetitive head traumas.