Former Chiefs LB Bobby Bell has advice for the class of 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/21/nfl-bobby-bell-graduation-university-of-minnesota-kansas-city-chiefs/

bell-960.jpg

University of Minnesota :: Rich Clarkson/Sports Illustrated

Hall of Fame Advice for the Class of 2015
Bobby Bell graduated from college last week, at 74, fulfilling a promise he made to his father when he first left home at 18. The MMQB asked the longtime Kansas City Chief to write a graduation speech and impart wisdom to his classmates
By Bobby Bell

To the Class of 2015:

I am not speaking to you as a football player, a Super Bowl champion, or a Hall of Famer. Nor am I speaking to you as a businessman, a father or a grandfather. I am speaking to you as a fellow member of our graduating class.

I know I’m different than most of you. I’m 74 years old! Between 1959, when I enrolled at the University of Minnesota, and this spring, when I completed my diploma, I’ve lived a pretty extraordinary life. I’ve won the Rose Bowl, earned a Super Bowl ring and have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall Of Fame as well as several College Halls of Fame. I’ve had my number 78 retired with the Kansas City Chiefs and the University of Minnesota, worked for General Motors, opened five restaurants, shook hands with John F. Kennedy, appeared on The Tonight Show—with Johnny Carson, I hope you know who he is!—and I’ve had the good fortune to travel around the world.

However, one thing was always missing. I have rooms full of plaques and trophies, but I did not have my college diploma. When I was 18 and left my home in Shelby, N.C., I told my father I would complete my education. When I was declared for the 1963 AFL draft, I was 17 credits shy of completing my degree. Then football happened, and life happened, and I never went back. My father died, and my mother died, and every year I told myself, “This is the year.”

Finally, I decided I couldn’t put it off any longer. Life is too short. The University of Minnesota dug up my handwritten transcripts and worked with me to figure out a plan. It was going to be difficult, but hey, I’ve done some difficult things in my life.

I took courses online so I could stay home in Kansas City. I told my professors and the students in the course not to tell anybody I was back getting a degree. I didn’t want to call attention to myself, as I needed to focus on the task at hand, which was my homework. This was something I was doing for myself, and for my father. When I walked across the stage May 14, I thought to myself, Dad, it might be a little late, but I did it.

To the Class of 2015, I hope you’ll allow me the opportunity to impart a little wisdom that I’ve picked up along the way. Much of it comes from lessons passed down by my father, and some of it I have picked up through my career. All of it, I hope, can help you as you embark on your life journeys. I know they can be as wonderful and as fulfilling as mine.

You have a degree now. Remember, nobody can take that away from you.

There’s a reason education was so important to my father. He didn’t get to go to school like everyone else. He never graduated high school. We grew up in segregated times, when we drank from different water fountains and ate at different restaurants. Everyone who owned the mills, anyone who did anything of importance around here, sent their kids off to school.

My dad said the only way to compete with the kids who could go to big colleges, the only way to be on common ground with everyone, is to get an education. While there were many schools that wouldn’t let me play football because I was black, Minnesota gave me a chance. But I understood that it was just a game. You could be the best football player, or the best basketball player, or the best baseball player, but if something happens to you, what are you going to do? If you don’t have a degree to fall back on, you just have memories that can’t help you in the future.

Education empowers you. And no matter what you do in life, your education is something that nobody can take away from you.

bell-800.jpg

Bobby Bell walking across the dais at Minnesota’s graduation ceremony. (University of Minnesota)

It’s OK to ask questions. It’s OK to ask for help.

When I started my degree up again, it was very different than it was in 1959. Everything was based on technology. Back when I went to school, we went to the library to do research and look things up. Now I was asked to make Power Points as my homework assignments. The problem was, I didn’t know how to create them—how to make all the slides, and time it to make sure it was all under eight minutes, which was the requirement. I asked my son. He helped me with the laptop, and he knew a little bit about Power Points, but not enough. So I called up a lady I know who works with the Kansas City Chiefs, my old team for 12 seasons.

She said, “Yes, I can do it, and I can tell you how to do it.” I said, “No, I want to go over there, sit down in front of the computer and we can talk through it.”

So I went down to the Kansas City Chiefs offices and had her show me. Sometimes it’s humbling to ask for help, but it will help you in the long run. Growing up, I would sometimes tell my father, “I don’t want to ask you a stupid question. Maybe I should know it and I don’t want to ask.”

My dad would always say, “Boy, ask me the stupid question. Because maybe I can resolve that now before you do anything stupid.”

bell-360.jpg

Bell (78) was named All-AFL/AFC nine times. He scored nine career touchdowns: one on an onside kick return, two on fumbles, and six on interceptions. (Rich Clarkson/Sports Illustrated)

Stay humble, and stay hungry.

Growing up, I always thought we were rich. We had food on the table, clean clothes, and a roof over our head, so what more could I need? As I went on in life, I realized how hard my parents had to work for those things. My mother and my father worked so hard to provide for us, and they had to continue working hard to make sure we could maintain that lifestyle.

I took that to the NFL. I always had a full-time job in the offseason, working for General Motors. People always asked me, Why? Well, football can be taken away at any moment. Guys playing now make so much money now, it becomes the most important thing. Their education ends up on the bottom of their “bucket list.”

They think there’s no end to the rainbow and that they have it made. They won’t go back to school because they think football can carry them on forever.

I hope they realize that’s a risky way to live. If you want to provide for your family, for years to come, there’s always work to be done, and more you can do.

You live in a glass house.

That’s something my father always said to me. When I went to Minnesota, the state was less than 2 percent black. I was one of only five black members on the football team. There was a lot of pressure for me to do well there, to prove that the coach didn’t make a mistake using a scholarship on me. I knew I didn’t want to go back to North Carolina, because that would let my father down, let my mother down, let my brothers and my sisters down.

There were people who expected me to fail and I had to work extra hard to make sure I didn’t. I wasn’t the smartest kid, so I had to study hard. I went to study hall and the library and asked people to help me out along the way. I also had to make sure I was doing the right things and making the right decisions. Every time I walked down the street, somebody was watching my move, waiting for me to mess up.

You may not be in a similar situation, but remember that everything you do is being watched and maybe judged. It’s even worse now because everyone has a cell phone in their pocket and what you do can live on forever.

I believe that if you do the right things, and say the right things, things will work out in the end.

Stay true to your word.

Before I left for Minnesota, my father gave me a present. It was a gold Bulova watch. He said, “Boy, I want you to be on time. You need a good watch.”

That watch has become a symbol for me—a symbol of everything my father stood for, and everything I promised him. When I walked across the stage to get my degree, I had that watch on my wrist. I looked at it, and it reminded me of him. I might not have actually been on time getting my degree, but I stayed true to my word.

And I can’t tell you how good that feels.

Ram65

Legend
Might be a nice required reading for NFL rookies, other sport rookies and anyone involved in sports.

On a personnel note:
When I was 18 and left my home in Shelby, N.C

At 18 was found myself in Shelby, N.C. 7 miles outside my future college Gardner Webb Boiling Springs N.C. That was the year 1974. Not nearly the same social setting as 1959 but much different than New Jersey After taking a plane to Charlotte I got a ride from the bus station from a girl I met on the bus. It was a long ride through corn fields and just about nothing else. I was in a flatbed truck with my trunk chained to the back. I was thinking what did I get myself into. It was a Southern Baptist College with some old traditions. Yikes.

Bobby Bell came a long way from Shelby, N.C.

Back to the article. I remember Bobby Bell well. He was always around the ball. I really like those Chiefs teams and they were on TV a lot.
Watch Bell's classic tackling in this video of top 100. He was that good.

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/kansas-city-chiefs/09000d5d829de2bf/Top-100-Bobby-Bell

Nice to see he finished his college class to get his degree. Very hard working and humble man. These are some of the characteristics of the Jeff Fisher Rams.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember Bobby Bell well. He was always around the ball. I really like those Chiefs teams and they were on TV a lot.

Reminds me also of Hank Stram wearing his toupee, stalking the sidelines while clutching his playbook and shouting "Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field, boys.", "How could all six of you miss that play?""65 Toss Power Trap" That Raiders/Chiefs rivalry was awesome back in those days.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVEQnRy5Ttw

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Bobby Bell is one of the most genuine people you'll ever meet. He lives next door to my sister and brother-in-law and is someone who commands respect whenever you talk to him.

When I was little in Kansas City and Bobby was still playing, I saw him at a bowling alley one time. To this day, I remember how fast he threw that ball down the lane. It looked more like a Bob Gibson heater than a bowling ball. I think the pins fell over out of fear of being destroyed if they didn't fall.

Another side note, three years ago the Chiefs gave all there season ticket holders authentic jerseys as a thank you. I had #78 Bell put on mine. A couple of weeks before the season I got a phone call from a Chiefs PR spokesman and a Chiefs contingent with Cheerleaders, KC Wolf, Chiefs PR people and yes, Bobby Bell himself came to where I worked and presented me with my signed jersey. Very cool.

Well Done Bobby!!

Ram65

Legend
Another side note, three years ago the Chiefs gave all there season ticket holders authentic jerseys as a thank you. I had #78 Bell put on mine. A couple of weeks before the season I got a phone call from a Chiefs PR spokesman and a Chiefs contingent with Cheerleaders, KC Wolf, Chiefs PR people and yes, Bobby Bell himself came to where I worked and presented me with my signed jersey. Very cool.

Great stuff.
Nice to see players become part of the community.

Ram65

Legend
Reminds me also of Hank Stram wearing his toupee, stalking the sidelines while clutching his playbook and shouting "Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field, boys.", "How could all six of you miss that play?""65 Toss Power Trap" That Raiders/Chiefs rivalry was awesome back in those days.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVEQnRy5Ttw

Great film on Hank......Like listening to him on TV....Seems to know the next play all the time.

Do you remember Hank Stram's comments to later to be Ram OC Bobby Stein.
One ‘Super’ moment can last a lifetime
sptOneSuperMomentTHEN.jpg

Bob Stein in his NFL heyday as a member of the Los Angeles Rams…

Sidebar
Jews in football
by Ron Kaplan
NJJN Features Editor

January 24, 2008

The play was over in a matter of seconds, but for Bob Stein and football fans, the memories still linger.

As a member of the 1970 champion Kansas City Chiefs, Stein made a spectacular defensive play against the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl IV, one of his contributions to his team’s 23-7 victory.

The game — the last before the merger of the rival AFL and NFL — was the only time a coach was fitted with a microphone; consequently, it became the most-played highlight film.

“It’s so amazing to me,” Stein said in a telephone interview, one of many that presumably come in around this time of year. “It demonstrates the power of the media…. I made a tackle and as I came off the field, they had in the film Hank Stram saying, ‘Who made that play? Oh, Bobby Stein? Way to go, Bobby Stein!’ and he pats me on the butt as I go by. It’s maybe 15 seconds. In the last two years, I’ve had times when I was at the Metrodome in Minneapolis for a football game, and I’m walking up the stairs [and] I hear someone calling, ‘Bobby Stein, Bobby Stein! Way to go, Bobby Stein!’”..........

http://njjewishnews.com/njjn.com/012408/sptOneSuperMoment.html

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/22/nfl-len-dawson-kansas-city-chiefs-pro-football-hall-of-fame/

dawson-9601.jpg

Neil Leifer/Sports Illustrated

Len Dawson on a K.C. Super Bowl: ‘It Needs to Happen Soon’
The Chiefs’ Hall of Fame quarterback and MVP of Super Bowl IV wants the Lombardi Trophy back in Kansas City—in more ways than one
By Jenny Vrentas

Len Dawson stands alone in Chiefs’ history, having quarterbacked the franchise’s only Super Bowl championship in 1970. Over the course of a 19-year career, including his final 13 seasons in Kansas City, he helped build the city’s rich tradition in football. And he also became one of just three people honored by the Pro Football Hall of Fame as both a player and a broadcaster (Frank Gifford and Dan Dierdorf are the others).

An ambassador for Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame traveling exhibition show that opens today at Union Station in Kansas City, Dawson talked to The MMQB about his beloved Chiefs, how badly he wants a Super Bowl in Kansas City (in more ways than one), and the one thing he knows nothing about: how much air should be in a quarterback’s football.

VRENTAS: How often do you still get asked about Super Bowl IV in Kansas City?

DAWSON: Well, there are a lot of people who weren’t alive when it was played. But I can tell you this: this town went crazy when that happened. The parade and all the things that transpired after we came back from New Orleans—but it has been too long since that has happened. It needs to happen soon now. They’ve got the Royals playing now. The Royals are playing excellent baseball. That wasn’t the case for a number of years. They went to the seventh game of the World Series last year, and they’re playing well this year.

That would be a great thing for Kansas City sports if the Chiefs could come back, too, and find a way to win a championship. I think they have to solidify the offensive line, and they have to have some weapons. A wide receiver did not catch a touchdown pass last year. That can’t happen again. You have to have people who are threats. They went out and secured some people. I’ll wait until training camp gets underway to see how they are doing, but they should be better this year than they were last year.

VRENTAS: You started your career in Pittsburgh as a first-round pick, but it wasn’t until five years later when you really got to play, for the AFL’s Dallas Texans, who then became the Kansas City Chiefs. There isn’t much patience in pro football nowadays. Would you have been able to have the same career arc in today’s game?

DAWSON: Pittsburgh is where I tried to start. They let me start one game in how many years was it? Three years. But fortunately for me, there was a guy by the name of Lamar Hunt who wanted to get involved in professional football, and he started the American Football League. And he gave an opportunity to a lot of players. Back when I was at Purdue my senior year, when they had the draft, I was the fifth player selected.

There were only 12 teams in pro football at that time. It was a much different era back in those days. I didn’t know the Steelers drafted me for a day or two, because there was no regular TV exposure for it. Things have changed a tad since that era, but I’m fortunate that Lamar Hunt founded the AFL and gave me an opportunity to play. There are so many more teams today. Quarterbacks have more opportunities to get a chance to play. After that, it depends on how well they play.

VRENTAS: You’re one of three people to be honored by the Hall of Fame for as a player and a broadcaster. What gave you the drive to stay involved with the team and pro football for decades after your playing career?

DAWSON: I’ve been very fortunate to play a game I really loved, and to play for a long time, 19 years, and to also get involved in broadcasting. It was interesting how I got involved in broadcasting. The Chiefs moved from Dallas, and football was new for Kansas City. For the first couple years there wasn’t much as far as attendance and the things they have now, which I like to call Chiefs Kingdom. They had three TV stations, and two of them didn’t have sports at 10 o’clock in the evening. The GM, Jack Steadman, was trying to get some season tickets bought by the fans.

They went to the ABC affiliate and said, “Listen, you don’t have sports at 10 o’clock, and this is the time when everybody is home from work and watching. We need to have sports on the news at 10 o’clock.” He wanted to get some tickets sold. They said, “Well, we don’t have anybody to do sports.” Jack Steadman said, “Well, I do. Our quarterback, Len Dawson.” They asked, “What kind of experience does he have?” Jack said, “Don’t worry about that, he can handle it.”

And that’s how I got started in broadcasting. I’d get through practice at 5 o’clock, hurry up and shower, and get down to the studio and get involved in the 6 o’clock news. Then I’d go home, have dinner with my family, come back and do the 10 o’clock news. The thing was, we didn’t make much money back in those days. Now the team wouldn’t permit it, but back in those days, that could happen. And it’s lasted from 1966 to today. I’m still doing radio and TV.

VRENTAS: While broadcasting the Chiefs’ games, you’ve had an up-close view of the franchise through the decades. How early on could you tell that Will Shields, who will be inducted into the Hall of Fame this year, would join you in Canton?

DAWSON: Very quick in his career here. He was a tremendous football player. Not just a football player, a tremendous athlete. I can still visualize when Priest Holmes was the running back, and they’d run a sweep to the right side or left side, and here comes Will Shields pulling with the idea of blocking somebody, and the guy rarely missed because he was such a great athlete. I knew it.

As a quarterback you always look at your protection, if you are passing or if you are running and, boy, he was good. He was just a terrific athlete for a big guy who could move. He was a very intelligent individual. Every team wants guys like him. He came from Nebraska, which is known for having good football players, and he is probably the best of all of them.

VRENTAS: Speaking of Hall of Fame careers, what was your reaction to the punishment Tom Brady received for Deflategate and the potential impact on his legacy?

DAWSON: What’s been thrown at him, losing four games, and the team is fined a million dollars, that is really pretty heavy. Somebody is always looking for the edge. I don’t care what sport you are playing, you are looking for the edge to give you a better chance to win. With the punishment, the NFL is sending a message. I bet you it won’t happen again.

VRENTAS: When you played, did you pay any attention to the inflation level of the footballs that you used? Did you try to “break them in” in any way?

DAWSON: I had no control over the football on game day. I don’t know if each team had their own football they used, or if both teams used the same football. I was more concerned about those big palookas who were chasing me as opposed to how much air was in the football. I had no idea how much air was supposed to be in the football.

VRENTAS: Being around the Chiefs as much as you are, what is your relationship with Alex Smith like?

DAWSON: It’s been good. I don’t tell him what to do. He’s got enough people talking to him. I just give him encouragement. He’s a good quarterback. And if they give him some help—can you imagine playing the whole season and not one wide receiver catches a pass for a touchdown? I’ve never heard of that. But he’s a good player, and the thing is, his teammates believe in him. That’s the first thing that has to happen.

VRENTAS: You talked about the football tradition in Kansas City. We just saw the draft in Chicago, and it looks to be a traveling road show now. There has also been a push from local leaders about the Super Bowl, and the Chiefs ceded a home game this season to meet the requirement that Super Bowl hosts must first host a game in London. Do you think a big NFL event would do well in Kansas City?

DAWSON: Sure I do. And the Chiefs are behind this. They have been lobbying for [the Super Bowl] and trying to do what they possibly can … Coaches today have this routine during a season and they don’t want to disrupt it, and going to London to play during the season is a disruption to the routine. But Clark Hunt did that, I think, with the idea or the promise they’re going to get an opportunity to have the Super Bowl in Kansas City.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I love the old Chief helmets with the nose guards. That defense was tough! Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier... Great players and class individuals, too

It was especially sweet watching them beat the F'n Vikings after the 1969 season. The second time in my lifetime it should have been the Rams in the big game!! :(