For those posters begging for more Watkins targets...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would think Everett getting no targets or catches (against SF....), lines him up to be Chowboy antagonizer #1..... Good catch.

Good possibility. They're gonna be all over Watkins and probably Gurley after last Thursday's game.

Everett and Kupp. IMO those two will be the guys who have big games in Dallas.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
But Watkins is elite. He must be fed to maximize our passing O. If he gets 10 targets per game, that's fine by me. It will only free up other players on the remaining plays.

It'll be hard to get him that many IMO because I don't think McVay is going to be passpasspass like Martz until he knows Goff and the WR's and OL have everything drilled down. He's probably going to throw just north of 500 passes so 160 going in the direction of Watkins probably won't happen.

That said, yes he is elite and I think McVay is going to get A LOT of very very big gainers from him. I have a feeling Watkins will have around 70-80 catches but his YPC is going to be among the highest in the league. McVay is going to have Watkins as his home run threat so he is going to be targeting him deep plenty.

He may not get 160 targets this year but I bet he gets 1250-1400 yards and keeps a safety out of the box every single snap.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Good possibility. They're gonna be all over Watkins and probably Gurley after last Thursday's game.

Everett and Kupp. IMO those two will be the guys who have big games in Dallas.

Don't sleep on Austin.

McVay may have something up his sleeve and I suspect he is the type to create several plays we haven't seen yet to bust an Austin off in the Cowboys ass.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Watkins played unbelievably but I have a feeling he has performances better than that in store for the future. He is still building chemistry with Goff and learning the play book. By the end of the season, he should easily be the favorite WR target and develop some consistency if he can stay healthy.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Another glorious thing about Watkins.

Even when he's not open, he's open.

Such a WR has gotta get his targets. Period.

Look, I love all of our receiving weapons. And I like and respect McVay's philosophy of spreading the ball around.

But Watkins is elite. He must be fed to maximize our passing O. If he gets 10 targets per game, that's fine by me. It will only free up other players on the remaining plays.

I'm sure that McVay has such plans in mind. Goff seems increasingly able to execute a bigger and bigger playbook. Surely McVay wants to utilize plays and schemes that he's been holding back up to now.
Watkins is the one who sends the passing game over the top. Without him we have a capable possession game. With him, and especially because of him as deep threat (though he is great in the short game too), it isn't possible to shut down all the receivers and load the box all the time against Gurley. Watkins will command a safety's attention and open the field and the coverage for everyone else. What a great acquisition!! still can't quite believe it...

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
This entire threat is some kind of 7-9 bull crap ... :rolllaugh::rolllaugh:

Man what a different a year makes and a new younger HC. Love this threat/Talk

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
For me, it just seemed like Watkins was gonna break out sooner or later. He's a talented guy to be feared.
After Kupp got his and opposing defenses saw that, they couldn't just roll coverage to Watkins.

Too many options on offense. It's gonna be SOMEBODY every game.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Watkins is the one who sends the passing game over the top. Without him we have a capable possession game. With him, and especially because of him as deep threat (though he is great in the short game too), it isn't possible to shut down all the receivers and load the box all the time against Gurley. Watkins will command a safety's attention and open the field and the coverage for everyone else. What a great acquisition!! still can't quite believe it...
Me either, when the Rams acquired him I thought it was a joke thread. Still can't quite believe it even though I can clearly see him in horns. The long pass he caught was indisputable proof of his 1st round status (Jareds too btw). A trade that we'll soon be comparing to the Marshall trade.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A trade that we'll soon be comparing to the Marshall trade.

Could be. At first I wasn't sure about giving up a 2nd for a "one-year rental". I didn't realize we would get a third-round comp pick if he leaves. Great trade by Snead!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I said we would be better this year! Yay! I was right about Goff and I said Gurley would bounce back!!! Where is my validation???

WITNESS ME!!!!!!!! :sneaky:;)
I'll get back with you in the season's over?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Time for little "Tavon Time" ?
Use Watkins as a decoy and set up some crossing routes for Tavon.

When Gurley is taking a blow on the sidelines, run some reverses, fake reverses and double-reverses for Tavon.

Then I will send Tavon a big valentine. :D