Fisher still upset about quick whistle --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher still upset about quick whistle
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0ff48594-fa7f-5777-9e81-d9beb58e08dd.html

With San Francisco leading 10-3 midway through the second quarter Sunday, the Rams’ Kendall Langford tackled the 49ers’ Frank Gore after a short gain near midfield when the ball came loose and James Laurinaitis recovered and headed for the end zone.

But the officials ruled that Gore’s forward progress had been stopped and blew the play dead.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher was not happy at the time and was still upset about the ruling when he met with reporters late Monday afternoon at Rams Park.

“I’ll just say this, it’s nice to have won this game because that is a game-changing call,’’ Fisher said. “That’s a defensive touchdown and it’s the wrong call, the incorrect call. It was not progress. The ball was out.

“(The official) should’ve thrown the bean bag, ruled it a fumble. They you go back to replay and replay shows it’s a fumble. It’s a defensive touchdown.

“In essence, they took a defensive touchdown away from us because he blew the whistle. The forward progress ... there were a number of other instances in that game where you could say, ‘OK.’ When they picked up Tre (Mason) and dropped him on his head, that’s forward progress. Whistles didn’t blow there.’’

Fisher added: “I was disappointed in the call and I will be. It’s the incorrect call, the wrong call.’’

MASON’S FIRST NFL START

Mason, the Rams’ third-round draft pick in May, made his first NFL start Sunday and responded with a game-high 65 rushing yards in 19 carries. One of his rushes went for a game-best 21 yards.

“I thought he played pretty well,’’ Fisher said. “He missed a couple holes, but he ran hard. He overcame some things. His ball security’s good, pass protection is good. He needed to get out in the routes.”

Still, Fisher isn’t naming anyone the full-time starter.

“I can’t tell you who’s starting this week,’’ said the coach, who later joked, “You guys come to Arizona, watch the first play, figure out who’s gonna start.’’

Mason was on the field for 38 offensive plays while Benny Cunningham took 16 offensive snaps. Cunningham rushed for 10 yards on four carries and had a team-leading three catches for 38 yards. Rookie Trey Watts had a 6-yard reception while Tavon Austin ran twice for 7 yards.

Zac Stacy, who ran for 973 yards as a rookie last year, suited up Sunday but did not play.

“Zac handled things professionally,’’ Fisher said. “Unfortunately, he didn’t get to play, but he will get to play. He’ll get his reps. We have not lost faith or confidence in him. But it’s hard to spread the ball around.’’

Fisher said the running back situation remains a week-to-week decision, based in part on scheme and approach.

DEFENSIVE NUMBERS

According to the coaches’ review of the tape, linebackers Laurinaitis and Alec Ogletree paced the Rams with 10 tackles each. Laurinaitis also had a sack and recovered the fumble in the end zone to finish the game.

Other tackle leaders were safety Rodney McLeod (eight), cornerback E.J. Gaines (seven), cornerback Lamarcus Joyner (seven), safety T.J. McDonald (six), defensive tackle Michael Brockers (five) and linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar (five).

The Rams, who entered the game with six sacks, had eight against the 49ers. Robert Quinn and William Hayes each had two. Laurinaitis, Brockers, Aaron Donald and Eugene Sims chipped in with one.

The Rams also had 18 pressures against Colin Kaepernick.

Chase Reynolds paced the special teams with two tackles. Jake McQuaide, Greg Zuerlein, Will Herring and Mark Barron had one each. It was the Rams debut for Barron, a safety acquired earlier in the week from Tampa Bay for a couple of draft picks.

“I went to Mark before the game as we were trying to sort out the inactives,’’ Fisher said. “The way it went, I talked to Mark about playing some special teams and I think he told someone he hadn’t played special teams since pee-wee football. He did a really nice job on our kickoff return and kickoff coverage.

“We’re going to work, like we said, to see if we can get him into some packages on defense to get him on the field.’’

RAM-BLINGS

Rams quarterback Austin Davis was forced to leave the game for a play late in the opening quarter after a rough slide into the turf at Levi’s Stadium.

“As he slid, the (knee) brace got caught in the grass and the brace twisted, so he had the brace re-adjusted,’’ Fisher explained, noting that all Rams quarterbacks wear a knee brace on their front leg during games.

Veteran Shaun Hill came in for the one play, handing to Mason for a 4-yard gain.

• Fisher said that rookie cornerback Marcus Roberson is dealing with an ankle injury. He was replaced by Trumaine Johnson, who had three tackles in his first action since hurting his knee in the preseason. Fisher said Johnson probably will start this week. The coach is “optimistic’’ about the return of Janoris Jenkins (knee), too.

• Defensive end David Bass, who starred at University City High and Missouri Western, has been promoted from the practice squad to the active roster by the Chicago Bears.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
During Fisher's time here with the Rams he has typically stuck up for the refs... even on marginal calls.

I'm happy to see him taking the opposite approach here recently. The terrible officiating needs to be called out or it will never be addressed.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
During Fisher's time here with the Rams he has typically stuck up for the refs... even on marginal calls.

I'm happy to see him taking the opposite approach here recently. The terrible officiating needs to be called out or it will never be addressed.
Agreed! I, too, am glad to see him being vocal about the refs' ineptness.

Athos

Legend
I am too. Austin should have had a TD, leaving the game is far less doubt.

We should have had a fumble TD as well, leaving the game in even less doubt.

Really, that game could and should have been a blow out for the Rams. But I'll take the win, but still, fuck the officials. Again.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Since coming into the league, Tavon Austin has had 3 touchdowns taken away from him. I wish Schotty would use him on routes more. He can score from anywhere at any time. But this is beating a dead horse. I'm glad Fisher took a stand. That call was bull dinkle.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
What's even more upsetting is the media, NFL and ESPN being the only 2 I follow, make no mention about this play or the punt return. The only thing "they" reference about this game is how the refs "possibly" screwed the 49ers. I get that it's the final moments of a close game, but had the refs did their job properly those final moments would've been very different. It exemplifies how the media favors the 49ers and thinks of the Rams as a joke. "The Refs help St.Louis beat the 49ers." is really what their headlines read. I wish that the Rams would have smoked them, 35-10, so there is no excuse for the 49ers losing.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams coach Jeff Fisher was not happy at the time and was still upset about the ruling when he met with reporters late Monday afternoon at Rams Park.

“I’ll just say this, it’s nice to have won this game because that is a game-changing call,’’ Fisher said. “That’s a defensive touchdown and it’s the wrong call, the incorrect call. It was not progress. The ball was out.

“(The official) should’ve thrown the bean bag, ruled it a fumble. They you go back to replay and replay shows it’s a fumble. It’s a defensive touchdown.

“In essence, they took a defensive touchdown away from us because he blew the whistle. The forward progress ... there were a number of other instances in that game where you could say, ‘OK.’ When they picked up Tre (Mason) and dropped him on his head, that’s forward progress. Whistles didn’t blow there.
I don't think fisher will forget this any time soon. I know I won't!!

JCK363

Behind Enemy Lines
Name
John
Does anyone have a video or screencaps of this play? I've searched and can't find anything .I'd love to shut my boss up with it. He's been ragging about the goal-line fumble being a crap call and the officials giving the Rams a break.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
What's even more upsetting is the media, NFL and ESPN being the only 2 I follow, make no mention about this play or the punt return. The only thing "they" reference about this game is how the refs "possibly" screwed the 49ers. I get that it's the final moments of a close game, but had the refs did their job properly those final moments would've been very different. It exemplifies how the media favors the 49ers and thinks of the Rams as a joke. "The Refs help St.Louis beat the 49ers." is really what their headlines read. I wish that the Rams would have smoked them, 35-10, so there is no excuse for the 49ers losing.
I noticed this also. Only Fox brought up the screw ups that went against the Rams. Bias or lack of research is to blame!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Just saw NFL Total Access official review segment.

They were the Kaeperdouche fumble, the Crabby catch, and the Tavon Austin.....run back from the end zone.

But fuck them, you know? We and most importantly Jeff Fisher knows the Rams were screwed with calls and still won.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
With competent officials the Rams would have won 27 to 10 and the last series wouldn't have happened or it wouldn't have mattered if it did.