Fisher sees Winston as top-two pick if he declares for NFL draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher :heh: believes quarterback Jameis Winston would be one of the top two players chosen in the 2015 NFL Draft if the third-year sophomore chooses to forego his last two years of NCAA eligibility. But whether Winston is ready to take that chance is anyone's guess

The Seminoles coach told the Mike and Mike radio show he "wouldn't be shocked either way," in regard to his star quarterback's pending career choice. The deadline for college underclassmen to declare their draft intentions is Jan. 15. Winston could be playing for the Seminoles as late as Jan. 12 if FSU advances to the national championship game with a Rose Bowl win over Oregon on Jan. 1.
"We're going to have a talk here in the next couple days before we go to break. I really don't know. I really don't. Jameis loves college football, but I think he's going to be one of the top two players drafted at the same time," Fisher said. "He's got to make a choice. He's got to see what he wants to do. It would not shock me either way. I understand if he wants to go when a guy is that high. He's a very, very good student. He's very smart, but he loves playing baseball, he loves his time in college, he loves all the interaction of this, believe it or not. It would not shock me either way. We'll have those discussions soon."
Winston's well-documented off-field troubles could potentially damage his draft status, depending on how NFL clubs come to assess his character. Winston faced an FSU code-of-conduct hearing earlier this month on a sexual assault allegation for which he was not legally charged. While that allegation has followed Winston for more than a year, various displays of immaturity -- from stealing crab legs from a Tallahassee, Fla., grocer to being suspended for shouting an obscene phrase on campus -- have added to questions about his character. The judge who presided over the hearing has yet to rule.

Winston's play has also raised scouting concerns, as his interception total rose from 10 in 2013 as a freshman, to 17 this season. Fisher told Mike and Mike that some 70 percent of Winston's interceptions have not been the quarterback's fault. An NFL scout wasn't so forgiving in calling Winston "a nightmare" who consistently got off to slow starts this year as FSU trailed at the half in five games.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...o-fisher-weighs-in-on-jameis-winston-decision

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The way he's on his nuts, Jimbo must be in for a small kick-back come draft day...

WestCoastRam

Legend
Soooo misleading as a thread title! ;)

Also, as the article suggest, his play in the first half of games this year has really been poor. One wonders if it's a preparation thing.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Soooo misleading as a thread title! ;)

Also, as the article suggest, his play in the first half of games this year has really been poor. One wonders if it's a preparation thing.

That's the same reaction i got when i seen it on the front page of nfl.com lol, they had it the exact same way. XD

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Thank God that didn't say Jeff Fisher. I could almost see the ruination of the next 5 years.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Throw me into the mix too. If the Rams had a top two pick I would be screaming for them to take Winston.
winston_tastes_good-e1269914598523.jpg

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Funniest case of coach failing to fulfill a promise (in this case, that they wouldn't be picking #2 overall again) ever.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Jimbo neglected to add, "if he doesn't get busted for rape before May"......

Is he really the best player in the upcoming draft? Is he capable of running an NFL offense? Does he have a good head on his shoulders? I think he looks the part but I'm not sure I'd like to see the Rams gamble that he's the guy.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Jimbo neglected to add, "if he doesn't get busted for rape before May"......

Is he really the best player in the upcoming draft? Is he capable of running an NFL offense? Does he have a good head on his shoulders? I think he looks the part but I'm not sure I'd like to see the Rams gamble that he's the guy.
From everything I've seen, the dude is awesome below the neck. It's just the most talented guy in the world can fail at the NFL level if something's wrong above that.