Fisher isn't worried about LA factor + Injury Updates/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher isn't worried about LA factor
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e36f124b-6114-5c24-b562-e0d3be0f38b0.html

With all the talk about a potential move to Los Angeles, it wouldn’t have been a shock to find an LA real estate guide on the desk of Jeff Fisher’s second-floor office at Rams Park.

Instead, there was a copy of a book titled “Resilience” sitting there. Fisher has needed plenty of that in his first three years coaching the “St. Louis” Rams. And more resilience will be needed as the team’s potential move to Los Angeles comes to a head during the upcoming season.

With the veterans reporting Wednesday and the start of training camp Friday, Fisher plans to discuss the LA situation with the squad over the next few days.

“I went through this before,” Fisher said, referencing the move of the Houston Oilers to Tennessee nearly 20 years ago. “I went through it for three years. The important thing for the players to realize is it’s all out of our control.

“I don’t have any answers. I’ve not asked any questions. We’re playing here (in St. Louis). And we’ve got a good football team. When and if things change, then I’ll let them know. But I’m not concerned, and I’m not gonna get caught up with it.

“I have a great relationship with Stan (Kroenke). And if the time comes when I want to know what’s going with Stan, I’ll ask. I haven’t asked because it doesn’t affect us right now.”

Like just about any NFL coach would say at this time of year, Fisher’s concern is on the opener Sept. 13 against Seattle. Initial indications are that ticket sales are lagging, more so because of the potential move than the fact that the Rams haven’t had a winning record since 2003.

When it comes to the level of fan support at the Edward Jones Dome, Fisher is simply hoping for the best.

“What we’re hoping for is they’ll see the improvement in this team, and they’ll come watch us,” he said. “Because this a good football team. This team’s a lot better. This team is much, much further along than we were when we got here. So we’re gonna compete and we’re gonna win games.

“The fans get to make their own choices. But I’m not concerned. I feel like the Rams fans and the support here in town has been extraordinary. And I wouldn’t see any reason why they wouldn’t want to come out and watch us play.”

On the heels of his third consecutive losing season, Fisher is 20-27-1 with the Rams, including a 6-10 mark last season. He has brought the league’s worst franchise to the fringes of respectability, but a winning record, much less a playoff berth, remains elusive.

“I don’t feel any pressure whatsoever,” Fisher said. “We’re just building this team and we’re getting better. And the wins are gonna increase. From the big-picture standpoint, the issue that we had really from the time I got here through last season was just the instability at the quarterback spot.”

Fisher said he has great confidence in new quarterback Nick Foles, acquired from Philadelphia in the Sam Bradford trade. He feels a defense that flirted with elite status over the second half of the 2014 season will be better. He has a talented special teams unit. And better overall talent and depth on the roster.

He feels the team is closing the gap in the NFC West.

“We have a completely different team than we had three years ago, and that’s exciting,” Fisher said.

He realizes the offensive line is a question mark because of its youth and inexperience but likes the talent level up front.

At running back, he’s encouraged with the progress from knee surgery made by first-round draft pick Todd Gurley of Georgia. Gurley passed his conditioning test Tuesday and begins training camp on the active roster.

“We’re really encouraged from what he’s done,” Fisher said. “But he’s not there yet. It’s gonna take some more time. But we felt like it would be best for him to be able to practice on a limited basis as opposed to not practicing.”

So beginning Friday, Gurley is expected to get some individual work and maybe some 7-on-7 work as well. He’ll take part in walk-throughs.

“But he’s still a ways away,” Fisher said. “He’s not ready to play in a game yet.”

So Tre Mason probably will carry most of the load in the early season. On the offensive line, rookie Cody Wichmann begins camp on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list because of a calf injury. He’s expected to miss the first week to 10 days of camp. Otherwise the Rams are in good shape, health-wise.

Starting left tackle Greg Robinson (toe) and starting left guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder) are both cleared and ready to go following offseason surgery. So is wide receiver Brian Quick (shoulder).

“I don’t know if (Quick’s) gonna play early in the preseason, but he’ll play,” Fisher said.

On defense, not only are all 11 starters back, but so are almost all of the top backups.

“In addition to that we’ve added Nick (Fairley) and Akeem (Ayers),” Fisher said, referring to free-agent pickups at defensive tackle and linebacker, respectively.

Fisher said he’s never had a team where all 11 starters returned on defense.

“And we’ve created competition at some positions,” he said.

In the secondary alone, E.J. Gaines and Trumaine Johnson will battle for a starting cornerback spot, Gaines and Lamarcus Joyner will compete for nickel back duties, while Marcus Roberson and Brandon McGee compete for the fifth corner/special teams role.

“I’m eagerly awaiting to see where Brandon McGee is, because he’s been dealing with a foot injury,” Fisher said. “He’s 100 percent right now.”

Alan

Legend
I wish he'd stop talking about how we "We have a completely different team than we had three years ago, and that’s exciting,” "This team is much, much further along than we were when we got here." and start talking about how we've improved since last year. Shovel ready excuse?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Starting left tackle Greg Robinson (toe) and starting left guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder) are both cleared and ready to go following offseason surgery. So is wide receiver Brian Quick (shoulder).
This is great news. I wonder if McDonald has fully recovered from his "ordeal"?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wish he'd stop talking about how we "We have a completely different team than we had three years ago, and that’s exciting,” "This team is much, much further along than we were when we got here." and start talking about how we've improved since last year. Shovel ready excuse?

Agreed @Alan , It's time to win more games than you lose no more excuses, go out and win the damn games!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Meh - I don't really worry too much about what the coaches say in that regard. He could say they are twice as good as last year but they still have to go out and win games.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
“I’m eagerly awaiting to see where Brandon McGee is, because he’s been dealing with a foot injury,” Fisher said. “He’s 100 percent right now".....Starting left tackle Greg Robinson (toe) and starting left guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder) are both cleared and ready to go following offseason surgery. So is wide receiver Brian Quick (shoulder).
Yeah baby.....time to shine....Line healthy, RB's in place...Quick ready to do the damn thang....Yall are gonna love Quick, year 4, with a real QB for 16 games...

oh, almost forgot...McGee has serious talent...I can see him making the squad.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 noting one in the hand is worth a thousand in the bush:
Meh - I don't really worry too much about what the coaches say in that regard. He could say they are twice as good as last year but they still have to go out and win games.
Can't argue with that but I'm tired of hearing about where we were 3 years ago like that is actually pertinent to where we are now. Yes, we are a much improved team over what we had then and the Snisher regime is responsible for much of that improvement (along with our sucky performance in the previous regime that enabled us to accumulate a plethora of high picks) but I want to hear/read about where we are today and what we're going to do to improve on last year. For me, this is the year where the "but look where we were" excuse for not fielding a team that wins more than it loses is a nonstarter.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't argue with that but I'm tired of hearing about where we were 3 years ago like that is actually pertinent to where we are now. Yes, we are a much improved team over what we had then and the Snisher regime is responsible for much of that improvement (along with our sucky performance in the previous regime that enabled us to accumulate a plethora of high picks) but I want to hear/read about where we are today and what we're going to do to improve on last year. For me, this is the year where the "but look where we were" excuse for not fielding a team that wins more than it loses is a nonstarter.
Well, for one, our Oline will be... um... young... er... inexperienced... uh... better than last year!!! (right Coach?)

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Brandon McGee is an interesting note. The kid is incredibly talented, super fast and physically great, but kind of raw as a corner. Maybe they see him as a successor to one of the two corners we have coming up in FA.

Ramfreak

UDFA
Name
Ramfreak
Fisher saying, We're going to win games, is definitely another way to keep the media at a distance. He's not going to create an expectation even though that's what the Rams base want to know. Losing for a decade will keep Fisher in a position to under promise so he can look like a wizard if he finally does attain a winning season for us. If we suck again then hey, he said we would win some games.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
On defense, not only are all 11 starters back, but so are almost all of the top backups.
200.gif