Fisher Expects Bradford to be Under Center for Rams in 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
not really - Pennington's injury was to his throwing shoulder and his arm was never the same after the procedure, which also points to his high completion percentage.
Didn't say they had the same injury. Look no further than "if he could stay healthy".

Not sure what you mean by Pennington's shoulder injuries explaining his high completion percentage though. His first year as a starter in 2002, he led the league in completion %(68.9), TD%(5.5) and had a healthy 7.8 ypa and 104 rating.

iced

Didn't say they had the same injury. Look no further than "if he could stay healthy".

Didn't mean that - I just don't think its a good comparison.

Not sure what you mean by Pennington's shoulder injuries explaining his high completion percentage though. His first year as a starter in 2002, he led the league in completion %(68.9), TD%(5.5) and had a healthy 7.8 ypa and 104 rating.

And his shoulder surgeries weren't til 2004-2005, so not really sure what 2002 has to do with that.

As far as high completion percentage - that'd be arm strength.

OkieRamFan

UDFA
Name
Harold
I think some of you guys are missing the point. Nobody in this or any other forum will be the ones to negotiate with Sam, so a statement like I would only keep him if he does xxxxx does not matter. In reality the team my wish to lower his pay, but if he or his agent don't agree I think the Rams will let him play out his current contract, rather than watch him play for another team. Like it or not they don't have many other options. None of the backup QB's likely to be available are an improvement over Hill, and any draft pick will take time to develop. I think they will likely draft a developmental QB that can someday become the starter or a trade asset. But for the next year Sam is clearly the best option.

iced

I think some of you guys are missing the point. Nobody in this or any other forum will be the ones to negotiate with Sam, so a statement like I would only keep him if he does xxxxx does not matter. In reality the team my wish to lower his pay, but if he or his agent don't agree I think the Rams will let him play out his current contract, rather than watch him play for another team. Like it or not they don't have many other options. None of the backup QB's likely to be available are an improvement over Hill, and any draft pick will take time to develop. I think they will likely draft a developmental QB that can someday become the starter or a trade asset. But for the next year Sam is clearly the best option.

more importantly, time is not on the coaching staff's side. Like you said, they can't wait for a young QB to develop... Not surprising they're sticking with Bradford - which imo also means schotty probably stays. I can't see them bringing back Bradford AND getting a new offensive coordinator with 2 years to go on Fisher's contract (despite how much i want a new OC).

Lesson

Oh, really?
The only comparison I could maybe think to Bradford would be Alex Smith. He suffered some injuries during his time in SF and never really turned into the QB they hoped for until 2011.

iced

The only comparison I could maybe think to Bradford would be Alex Smith. He suffered some injuries during his time in SF and never really turned into the QB they hoped for until 2011.

and like bradford, changed oc's every year.

although Bradford pushes the ball down the field more than alex smith

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
In principal, I agree entirely. But it's also beginning to seem like not overpaying/overdrafting may be easier said than done...at least if some of the water cooler talk I'm hearing turns out to be true.......

1) The FA market appears likely to be pretty weak this coming offseason. Randy Karraker mentioned on The Fast Lane recently that, based on a first look at the likely FA QB market, Bradford might be the best FA available if the Rams were to cut ties with him. Now, I'm not touting RK as any gifted talent evaluator, but in general he seems somewhat more informed than many fan forum participants....and generally is rather pragmatic. So IF that view turned out to be a common one amongst actual NFL people, that says volumes about the available FA QB's this year....at least to me.

2) The 2015 draft eligible QB class seems rather slim. Mariotta & Winston seem to be the only 2 virtually unanimous 1st rounders with Hundley being a probably. And selecting any of them seems to have a share of risks....i.e., can Mariotta transition from a pure spread QB to NFL pocket style (isn't that basically the major concern about Bradford when he came out [other than the shoulder]), and with Winston it depends on where one comes down on Winston's maybe/maybe not off field issues or if he decides to stay at FSU for another year.

All in all, I'm beginning to think there's enough risk in either of the above scenarios to believe the Rams are going to be between the proverbial rock & a hard place if they want to either....1) replace Bradford, or.....2) have a Plan B that really is more like a Plan 1A.
I wouldn't mind the Rams staying put and taking Hundley in the first round even if some think it's an overdraft.

I *DO NOT* want the Rams on the wrong side of a Washington-esque deal, selling our future for hype.... and if it's for Winston I will want every trace of the current administration eradicated from the organization.

moklerman

Warner-phile
iced said:
Didn't mean that - I just don't think its a good comparison.
I still don't understand why. If Pennington would have stayed healthy, he'd have been a really good QB. Regardless of injury, he couldn't be counted on to stay healthy. How is that not exactly what the Rams are dealing with with Bradford?

iced said:
And his shoulder surgeries weren't til 2004-2005, so not really sure what 2002 has to do with that.

As far as high completion percentage - that'd be arm strength.
Because you said his shoulder injuries explained why he had a high completion %. The numbers don't show that at all since he was leading the league in completion % years before he started getting hurt.

Completion percentage is because of arm strength? Does Joe Montana know about this? Or Kurt Warner? Or Peyton Manning as a Bronco? Or Tom Brady?

I must be reading your statements wrong or something because the reality seems to be the exact opposite of what you're saying.

Ramatik

Starter
I disagree with your thoughts about probability of remaining healthy. There's more to it than "It's not impossible". Do you think Fisher would even entertain the notion of keeping Bradford if it was just "It's not impossible"?

That said, with the bolded part there, I really have to wonder who people think is advocating the Rams putting all their eggs in the Sam basket. No one's saying that. I, and others, are saying not to mortgage the team's future by being on the bad side of another RGIII-esque trade, but there is a middle ground between setting ourselves back for years with a bad trade and not addressing QB at all.

It was a little over dramatic.

Heh, I am really hoping for Bradford to be the starter on opening day for two reasons.

First, Because he is good, and was getting better. And the guy is accurate, (even if you hate him) and... I just don't want to start over.

And Secondly, I want to see some of these guys burst blood vessels and watch their heads explode.

For pure entertainment purposes only.

Ramatik

Starter

Well stated.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
not really - Pennington's injury was to his throwing shoulder and his arm was never the same after the procedure, which also points to his high completion percentage.

Pennington was just unbelievably accurate. Didn't help either that he processed things so quickly and always possessed great timing. Had he not had the injuries he did, he very possibly could have been a HOF QB.

Memphis Ram

Legend

I disagree that he plays under that same contract after missing 25 of the teams last 32 games. But, I will agree that Sam is the best option if they don't make an OC change if he can stay on the field. And that last part is HUGE.

iced

Pennington was just unbelievably accurate. Didn't help either that he processed things so quickly and always possessed great timing. Had he not had the injuries he did, he very possibly could have been a HOF QB.

one of the few players who really could have been potentially HOF material had it not been for an injury

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Guys is there ANY kind of fucking hi-tech super strong protevtive brace the Rams can construct for Bradford's damn knee? who cares if it slows him down even a little more just wrap that bitch up and invest a ton in a big strong Oline and lets sling it! And pound the ball.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guys is there ANY kind of freaking hi-tech super strong protevtive brace the Rams can construct for Bradford's damn knee? who cares if it slows him down even a little more just wrap that bitch up and invest a ton in a big strong Oline and lets sling it! And pound the ball.

How about adamantium? Is that not real? Damn you, Wolverine.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I used to love watching Pennington play. A real technician.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
2015 FA QB's

UFA's
Matt Moore
Mark Sanchez
Jake Locker
Mike Vick
Matt Hasselbeck
Christian Ponder
Matt Flynn
Blaine Gabbert
Shaun Hill
Jason Campbell
Tavaris Jackson
Brian Hoyer
Ryan Mallet
Tyrod Taylor
TJ Yates
Scott Tolzein
Jimmy Clausen
Joe Webb
Dan Orlovsky
Luke McCown
Colt McCoy
Josh Johnson
Ryan Lindley
Thaddeus Lewis

RFA's
Kellen Moore
Austin Davis
Matt Simms
Chester Stewart
GJ Kinnie
Tyler Hanson
Kyle Newhall-Caballero

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/quarterback/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah this list sucks, and in terms of talent Bradford is better than all of these guys....but which of these QB's is a riskier injury prospect than Sam Bradford?
None of them. Not even close in fact.
How many of these QB's will be re-habbing for the second straight season when free agency opens in March?
None of them.

Bradford has no leverage in St Louis or anywhere else. He will have the option of taking a paycut here or getting cut here and taking a paycut somewhere else. Where would be the best place for Sam to take a paycut? St Louis IMO.

If Sam doesn't wind up playing for a massive paycut next season(wherever he ends up) i'll eat a plate of crow. Either way i hope he makes the smart choice and stays here to rebuild his reputation as an average, injury-prone QB.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's what I want our 2015 qb to be
A 16 game starter. Period

Case in point

Currently there are 21 teams who have started their qb in all of their games
15 of those teams have winng records (including both Atlanta and New Orleans who are tied for division lead)
71%
Out of the 11 teams to start multiple qb, only 3 of those teams have winning records
27%

Get me the guy who can get the snaps all pre season and start 16 games and the team is a winning team

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's what I want our 2015 qb to be
A 16 game starter. Period

Case in point

Currently there are 21 teams who have started their qb in all of their games
15 of those teams have winng records (including both Atlanta and New Orleans who are tied for division lead)
71%
Out of the 11 teams to start multiple qb, only 3 of those teams have winning records
27%

Get me the guy who can get the snaps all pre season and start 16 games and the team is a winning team

Your message is 100% true. I'm going to nitpick here and say, though, that you can't really count Atlanta and New Orleans as having winning records when they're in the division lead at 4-7. We're 4-7.

But we may not be in position to get that guy(because I think we can both agree that this team isn't going to be better off with any guy playing every snap, we need competent QBing). And if we don't, I really want Mike Glennon to be our Plan B behind Bradford. I think he's a good enough QB that we could win with him. I really think Tampa Bay is making a huge error in continuing to start McCown. They should have taken the season to see what they have in the guy.

2015 FA QB's

UFA's
Matt Moore
Mark Sanchez
Jake Locker
Mike Vick
Matt Hasselbeck
Christian Ponder
Matt Flynn
Blaine Gabbert
Shaun Hill
Jason Campbell
Tavaris Jackson
Brian Hoyer
Ryan Mallet
Tyrod Taylor
TJ Yates
Scott Tolzein
Jimmy Clausen
Joe Webb
Dan Orlovsky
Luke McCown
Colt McCoy
Josh Johnson
Ryan Lindley
Thaddeus Lewis

RFA's
Kellen Moore
Austin Davis
Matt Simms
Chester Stewart
GJ Kinnie
Tyler Hanson
Kyle Newhall-Caballero

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/quarterback/
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah this list sucks, and in terms of talent Bradford is better than all of these guys....but which of these QB's is a riskier injury prospect than Sam Bradford?
None of them. Not even close in fact.
How many of these QB's will be re-habbing for the second straight season when free agency opens in March?
None of them.

Bradford has no leverage in St Louis or anywhere else. He will have the option of taking a paycut here or getting cut here and taking a paycut somewhere else. Where would be the best place for Sam to take a paycut? St Louis IMO.

If Sam doesn't wind up playing for a massive paycut next season(wherever he ends up) i'll eat a plate of crow. Either way i hope he makes the smart choice and stays here to rebuild his reputation as an average, injury-prone QB.

He's going to take a pay-cut either way. I agree with that. He's not getting paid $13 million elsewhere next year. But I do think he can get $8+ million on the market. The real question is...does Bradford believe that St. Louis is the best place for him? If he hits the market, it's possible he could decide that it's not.

But I agree with you. I think Bradford will take a pay-cut to stay here provided we offer him some guaranteed money(roster or signing bonus)...quid pro quo.

And if that does happen, I'd really like to see us trade for Mike Glennon assuming we can't draft Winston or Mariota.

As you can see by my two comments here, I'm pushing the Glennon train. I think it's one of those situations where a new coaching staff decided he wasn't their guy and they made a mistake in doing that...like Joe Barksdale in Oakland. I'm not saying the kid is going to become a good starting QB but watching his starts on coach's film this year, I think he has the ability to be a Kyle Orton or Carson Palmer(later career Carson, not prime Carson) level starter...basically an average starter that can do enough to help a talented team win.

Ramathon

I wonder if there's any chance Bradford would decide to hang it up at this point.(??) What if, early next spring just before OTA's start, the docs tell him...."Your knee is good right now. But if you suffer another injury to it, you will, at best, be walking with a cane for the rest of your life."

He turned 27 last month and has made a ton of $$ already. Is there any chance he'd decide to just call it quits and go buy an auto dealership in OK City (or whatever)?