Fish Pics from Costa

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
DSC00722.jpg
DSC00720.jpg
DSC00786.jpg

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My wife and I celebrated our 10th last week so we snuck off to Costa by ourselves. Went fishing a couple of days. It was nice not being the Captain and First Mate for a change. Weird too.

These are a few of the fish we caught. They weren't our target species, but the Mahi tasted great. We caught enough Mahi to feed a small army,,, we only kept about 30 pounds on both days to have cooked for ourselves, the rest ... probably another 100 pounds each day we gave away. 30 pounds a night sounds like a bunch for two I know, but we shared it with others who were staying at the same place we were. We wanted a Marlin and Roster Fish but were unsuccessful. We did raise a Marlin and it actually ripped off one of our teasers, but he wouldn't take the bait. That's why they call it fishing and not catching.

That first Mahi I'm holding with the gaff was almost 60 lbs... I'm 6' 2" for perspective. We didn't catch any under 25 pounds. My wife is holding another good size bull she caught. She's also holding a big fucking jack that she caught that we just knew was the elusive Roster we were looking for.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Cool deal man. Fishing for bigs in bikinis and shorts never sucks.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Man, all I ever catch are bass, crappie and catfish. I have dreamed about going deep sea fishing. I don't want a 4 hour battle on my hands, but would love to pull something big like that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As if there was some other way ? :heh:

Yeah - catching a salmon or steelhead in waders is still pretty sweet. I've done all kinds of fishing and I get the feeling you wouldn't hate watching a steelhead or salmon jumping out of a little stream in front of you while you battle it - especially when you can go back and enjoy some Pig Feathers BBQ and Twisted Snout beers afterward. CAN YOU DIG IT?

Really though - looked like a great time. Good on you.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Man, all I ever catch are bass, crappie and catfish. I have dreamed about going deep sea fishing. I don't want a 4 hour battle on my hands, but would love to pull something big like that.

Why would you NOT like a 4 hour battle with a fish? Sounds fucking awesome to me. I had a 45 minute fight with a salmon and just wanted more. I had several 20-30 minute fights with tunas and was screaming afterward. A four hour fight sounds EPIC. My arms and shoulders are flexing as I type this. If you like fishing, I'm gonna guess that you would be so swept up in the fight that you would ONLY be thinking about the battle and what a rush you might never feel again.

Watching that salmon go into the net was both a rush that we landed it but a downer in that the fight was over. I wanted it in the boat but if she had spooled me a couple more times, I would have been ecstatic.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Cool stuff right there. And a good time was had by all!!!!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

4 hour battles are something I've almost never been a part of. An hour battle can happen with a very large fish on liter line... but typically we are able to land big fish like the ones you see here in less than 20 minutes, and sometimes just 5 minutes or so. The key is proper equipment and technique. My boys have reeled in 250+ pounds sharks when they were much younger and smaller (less than 100 pounds) with spinning rods and 20 lb test line... that shit takes an hour.

I did have a fight years back that did last 4+ hours though. It shouldn't have went down the way it did and it is still a mystery as to what I was fighting. I was on a friend's (he was close to 70 yrs old and smoked 5 packs of cigs per day) very small boat fishing in the mouth of Ft Pierce inlet here in FL. We were fishing the out going tide which flows like a freight train btw. I hooked something on a small live shrimp just after 1:00 am, and was still fighting it after the sun had started rising. The old man couldn't pull the anchor by himself so we could chase the fish with the boat,,, the boat was too small to chase out much past the inlet mouth anyway in the seas that were happening. Anyway, the fish used the current and his body weight to outlast my 20lb test line for hours. It was a very big fish... my guess is that it was either a very large redfish or a fat momma nurse shark,,, there are a few other possibilities too. But I will never know for sure. When the line went slack after hours, my arms were definitely shaking,,, but I wouldn't call that ending a relief.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wonder if you hooked whatever it was in the tail. I fought a salmon for about an hour before I saw that it was hooked in the tail (foul hooked). There was no turning it. All I could do was thumb the spool to keep it from completely spooling me. One loud snap and it was over.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Good thought Stu, but it wasn't hooked in the tail.

We were fishing along the getty rocks lining the north side of the inlet... lots of snook there and they have razor sharp gill plates. As a result, we had extra long (5ft+) leaders of heavy mono tied on. The fish had rubbed it's tail above were the leader was tied leaving rub marks on the main line of the reel. So I do know the fish was over 5 feet and that it was hooked in the mouth. There were times that I felt it's tail slap against the line during the tug of war as well.

I've relived that fight in my mind countless times. I'm positive it wasn't tail hooked... I've done that too, and it's a mess I know.

Through the years I've actually gone back to that exact same spot trying to find the mystery fish. LOL. I did hook and land a medium sized (80lb) spotted nurse shark during one of my reenactments... Leading to my big momma nurse shark suspicion.

It could have been a number of other suspects like a big tarpon or even a big grouper. I'll always wonder about it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Loves me a good mystery. I've had a couple of those. We have sturgeon out here that can weigh upwards of 1500 pounds. I hooked something in the mouth of the Columbia while salmon fishing and it was literally a joke trying to move it. It just swam along like it wasn't even hooked. It didn't feel like a shark unless it was a Shovel Nose and it wasn't moving fast enough for a seal. We have halibut but it's pretty rare for them to be in the mouth of the river and unless it was a huge lost one, I should have been able to turn it at least a little. I had 50lb dacron and a 35lb mono leader. You can reef pretty hard on that tackle but there was no budging that thing. I can only imagine that it was a big white sturgeon. Maybe one of the 15 footers we've seen roll out there. But of course it gets bigger every time I tell the story.:yousure: Sure would have liked to see it though. We finally had to just point the rod at it and get on our way.

had

Rookie
Wow, Selassie, you have a great life going there. Fishing, boating, sun.

I'm over here sweating like a Tijuana hooker trying to make some money.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wow, Selassie, you have a great life going there. Fishing, boating, sun.

I'm over here sweating like a Tijuana hooker trying to make some money.

I'm usually working too.

How much you charging Man, I always thought those donkey shows paid well???

:wink:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
@RamFan503

That's crazy Stu. I'm saying it was a sturgeon... lol

I've got a wooden sign that I had made. It looks like a hotel sign and it has a big fish on it. Across the top it reads - Fish Tales Inn. Along the bottom - Fish stories swapped here. The later it gets, the bigger the fish.

Good stuff Stu. I've actually eaten sturgeon from Michigan or Minnesota. That shit was tasty as hell. You gotta go get one of those 1500 pounders... Holy Smokes.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Wow! Nice!

And here I sit, on my laptop, with a fire burning in the fireplace.

Thanks for sharing!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wow! Nice!

And here I sit, on my laptop, with a fire burning in the fireplace.

Thanks for sharing!

We did meet 2 different couples from up your way. Well maybe I should say just one. The cool couple from Toronto said that even they had never actually met an Inuit couple before. Anyway, point being,,, from now until the next few months.... it may be a good time for folks from your area to visit a place near the equator if you're not enjoying "the season".

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Those "Jacks" get that big!? I went fishing in the Keys about 2 years ago, and that's what we were using for bait for the Goliath Grouper or "Jew Fish."

Mouth is watering thinking about fresh Mahi btw. Ma lawd. :wow:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Those "Jacks" get that big!? I went fishing in the Keys about 2 years ago, and that's what we were using for bait for the Goliath Grouper or "Jew Fish."

Mouth is watering thinking about fresh Mahi btw. Ma lawd. :wow:

Yeah, they make an excellent bait for Goliaths. Fact is, we were using pretty good sized jack crevalles (about the size of a small plate) and Look-Downs (another type of jack) for bait on the day she got that big jack. We slow trolled big livies around all of the granite islands, beaches, and "reefs" (and I should point out that they aren't real reefs there) in search of Roster Fish and Dog Snapper. We used another type of bait fish too that was similar to a ballyhoo,,, but it was bigger and thicker with no beak... they were 12" plus in size.

I think that big jack actually took a Look-Down which I never would have suspected. Those guys will eat anything I guess. We caught a bunch more dolphin on those same live baits in like 90 feet of water. Weird how different things worked there.