Favorite Breakfast Cereal Growing Up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My Grandma used to give me rice with milk and sugar. It wasn't bad when the rice was still warm. I guess that was her generation's version of cereal when she was growing up? I remember it not being bad at all but I guess that had a lot to do with the SUGAR!
Mine added cinnamon to it. Always liked that.

Lately, we've been having Japanese Breakfast if we go for sushi the night before. Not cereal but it kinda eats like it. You make a green tea out of the seaweed wraps from some left over sushi along with a dash of wasabi, then put the rice and cut up pieces of raw salmon and/or Hamachi in a bowl with some Ikura (salmon roe). Then you pour the hot tea in the bowl and eat it. Freaking amazing and a great protein and starch start to your day.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Mine added cinnamon to it. Always liked that.

Lately, we've been having Japanese Breakfast if we go for sushi the night before. Not cereal but it kinda eats like it. You make a green tea out of the seaweed wraps from some left over sushi along with a dash of wasabi, then put the rice and cut up pieces of raw salmon and/or Hamachi in a bowl with some Ikura (salmon roe). Then you pour the hot tea in the bowl and eat it. Freaking amazing and a great protein and starch start to your day.
I've never heard of that. How much seaweed do you need for the tea? An entire hand roll?
Salmon roe is excellent. The first time I had it, I was surprised with how good it is.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've never heard of that. How much seaweed do you need for the tea? An entire hand roll?
Salmon roe is excellent. The first time I had it, I was surprised with how good it is.
I always have extra Nori sheets on hand. You can just shred some of that if you need a bit more flavor. It really depends on how much of that seaweed flavor you want. We've become fairly good friends with the owners of a local Sushi Restaurant and he turned us on to this. For me - the Ikura really sets it off. I try to get a few eggs in with each spoon full.

It's funny because I tried to get my wife to try the Ikura for years. It has always been sort of my desert at sushi restaurants - Ikura w/Quail egg. She tried it a couple times and thought it was fishy tasting. Then one time she tried it and absolutely loved it. Now I've apparently created a monster and it's her favorite thing to eat. Go figure.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I always have extra Nori sheets on hand. You can just shred some of that if you need a bit more flavor. It really depends on how much of that seaweed flavor you want. We've become fairly good friends with the owners of a local Sushi Restaurant and he turned us on to this. For me - the Ikura really sets it off. I try to get a few eggs in with each spoon full.

It's funny because I tried to get my wife to try the Ikura for years. It has always been sort of my desert at sushi restaurants - Ikura w/Quail egg. She tried it a couple times and thought it was fishy tasting. Then one time she tried it and absolutely loved it. Now I've apparently created a monster and it's her favorite thing to eat. Go figure.
The sweet from the roe is what I didn't expect. It took me years before even being curious about it. I shouldn't have waited so damn long.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The sweet from the roe is what I didn't expect. It took me years before even being curious about it. I shouldn't have waited so damn long.
Not sure if I really want her to start liking Uni. She's not quite there yet after many years. But then again, Uni can either be fantastic or disgusting. Often not a lot of middle ground. But when Uni is good, it is slightly sweet, bright, and piney. So good. Sorry - your mentioning of the sweet note in the Ikura reminded me of it.

My wife and I are going to one of our favorite sushi places in Portland tomorrow night (Spoiler alert @Selassie I - you can expect a picture or two :D) and I am hoping that they have some fresh Uni and Ikura. The place is called Saburo and has been voted top 5 on the west coast a couple times. Huge, fresh, portions and a line out the door all night.

That and a little Glowing Greens mini golfing and we have the makings of a great date. And of course a little Japanese breakfast in the morning.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Not sure if I really want her to start liking Uni. She's not quite there yet after many years. But then again, Uni can either be fantastic or disgusting. Often not a lot of middle ground. But when Uni is good, it is slightly sweet, bright, and piney. So good. Sorry - your mentioning of the sweet note in the Ikura reminded me of it.

My wife and I are going to one of our favorite sushi places in Portland tomorrow night (Spoiler alert @Selassie I - you can expect a picture or two :D) and I am hoping that they have some fresh Uni and Ikura. The place is called Saburo and has been voted top 5 on the west coast a couple times. Huge, fresh, portions and a line out the door all night.

That and a little Glowing Greens mini golfing and we have the makings of a great date. And of course a little Japanese breakfast in the morning.
While on the subject of Sushi. I have an on going argument with a couple of friends.
I told them that sushi is actually referring to the rice. They absolutely refuse to believe me. Others have put up an argument as well.
What do you think?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
While on the subject of Sushi. I have an on going argument with a couple of friends.
I told them that sushi is actually referring to the rice. They absolutely refuse to believe me. Others have put up an argument as well.
What do you think?
I don't know how to answer that. My understanding is that originally sushi was fish packed in rice and salt. They didn't even eat the rice. I think I saw a show that Zimmer did about it. I don't think he was crazy about the smell.

I believe technically you are right. Sushi was a method of preserving fish in rice - not a type of cuisine or style of preparation.

Today however, Sushi grade fish is frozen to -10 for I think Jason (Sushi chef) said 10 days to kill off any possible parasites. The problem is that Sashimi, Nigiri and Maki are all considered types of Sushi. Obviously Sashimi has no rice. But I think you could win the argument in that the term actually came from preserving fish in a special rice (Sushi rice) and salt and then letting it ferment so that it would keep.

And being that the Zimmer found some places that still serve it, someone is still eating it that way. If it smells anything like straight fish sauce, count me out.

I can ask Jason about it - if I remember - when I see him next, if you'd like.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't know how to answer that. My understanding is that originally sushi was fish packed in rice and salt. They didn't even eat the rice. I think I saw a show that Zimmer did about it. I don't think he was crazy about the smell.

I believe technically you are right. Sushi was a method of preserving fish in rice - not a type of cuisine or style of preparation.

Today however, Sushi grade fish is frozen to -10 for I think Jason (Sushi chef) said 10 days to kill off any possible parasites. The problem is that Sashimi, Nigiri and Maki are all considered types of Sushi. Obviously Sashimi has no rice. But I think you could win the argument in that the term actually came from preserving fish in a special rice (Sushi rice) and salt and then letting it ferment so that it would keep.

And being that the Zimmer found some places that still serve it, someone is still eating it that way. If it smells anything like straight fish sauce, count me out.

I can ask Jason about it - if I remember - when I see him next, if you'd like.
Sure. It probably doesn't mean either one anyway.
Sushi probably translates to "silly Americans would pay alot for this".
I know I have.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just remembered a cereal that I really loved that I didn't think of before.

It had more to do with what I added to the cereal than the cereal itself though.

If you've never tried pouring Half-n-Half into your cereal instead of milk... you gotta try it.

unsweetened almond milk for the diabetic in me. (y)

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
What ever happened to the toys that came inside cereal boxes , that's usually how I usually decided which cereal of the week to get

Cap't Crunch had some of the better ones , baking soda submarine was pretty cool , and I still have a deck of miniature Cap't Crunch playing cards around the house here somewhere

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
No more Saturday Morning Cartoons , no more Breakfast Cereal Toys

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Even when I was a kid, as much as I liked sugar cereals as I was eating them, I knew food was fuel.

Since I was 9, I had to get everywhere by myself. I had to put all my own baseball equipment in a paper grocery bag and ride with it on my crappy bike miles to practice, so I got really clear really quick that crappy sugar cereals weren't great fuel.

Grape Nuts /w yogurt, granola, wheaties...

Cuz when you have to ride home after the game or practice... Freakin' Count Chocula ain't gonna get you there...

Shut up and eat your grits muthafucka :ROFLMAO:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
LOL. I never even heard of a Grit until I joined the Navy...other than Flo on the TV show, Alice shouting, "kiss my grits!"

I was like Vinny. "What exactly is a grit?" All the guys from the south in my company thought I was from Mars.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
LOL. I never even heard of a Grit until I joined the Navy...other than Flo on the TV show, Alice shouting, "kiss my grits!"

I was like Vinny. "What exactly is a grit?" All the guys from the south in my company thought I was from Mars.

The first time I had grits was the last time I had them.

I was 17, and it's a great story but WAY to long to post. It has to be told in person.