Favorite artist taken before there time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Many great artists died young and we wish they would have lived and continued making music. Just wondering which one out of them all you wish had survived and kept on making music. Of course we wish they all had, but if you had a choice for one only, who would it be?

I love Freddie Mercury, John Lennon, Dwayne Allman, Layne Staley, Bradley Nowell, Shannon Hoon and others.

But me being born in 1984 and being a 90's kid, my choice is Kurt Cobain. And its not just because im a 90's kid.

The back story:
When I was about 10, me and my brother(he was 12) saw an ad in a magazine where you could buy 10 cd's for like a dollar each(ofc it was much more than that after you pay the fees and taxes and postage), but we were young and our parents let us do it since we wanted to so badly. We pooled our money together and each ordered 5 cd's each.

Now at 10 years old and never having watched mtv or vh1 and only have listened to oldies my mom played on the radio in the car, I didnt know shit about music. I made my selections based on cool names and album covers(the choices showed album covers of the cd's you could select).

I truly made life altering choices. These were the five I chose:

Nirvana: Nevermind
Nirvana: In Utero
Anthrax: Sound of White Noise
Green Jelly: Cereal Killer*
Beavis and Butthead: Experience

*odd note, but actually learned this recently. One of my favorite songs on the Cereal Killer album was "three little pigs" and Maynard(lead singer of Tool and A Perfect Circle) did back up vocals on the song.

So having never hearing grunge or rock or anything, these were my choices, and honestly, they changed my life. All of them did. They all opened my eyes to a whole new world.

Now you might be thinking, how could a Beavis and Butthead cd help open my eyes, well just look at the playlist:
  1. Nirvana: "I Hate Myself and Want to Die" – 4:02
  2. Anthrax: "Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun" (Beastie Boys cover) – 7:43
  3. Beavis and Butt-head (Mike Judge): "Come to Butt-head" – 3:51
  4. Megadeth: "99 Ways to Die" – 4:11
  5. Run-D.M.C.: "Bounce" – 6:40
  6. Aerosmith: "Deuces Are Wild" – 3:50
  7. White Zombie: "I Am Hell" – 5:00
  8. Primus: "Poetry and Prose" – 3:48
  9. Sir Mix-a-Lot: "Monsta Mack" – 4:22
  10. Red Hot Chili Peppers: "Search and Destroy" (The Stooges cover) – 4:12
  11. Jackyl: "Mental Masturbation" – 2:38
  12. Cher with Beavis and Butt-head: "I Got You Babe" – 9:05
    • Contains the hidden track "Come to Butt-head (Reprise)" by Beavis and Butt-head featuring Positive K

At 10 this is a lot of new stuff in my life, but Nirvana was the master key in it all. They all opened me up to a new world that I embraced big time, even to this day. Without those cd's, I am probably not who I am today.

I still believe that psycho bitch Courtney Love had a hand(physically) in Kurts death.

But anyways, Kurt Cobain is my choice. Just found the music to be perfect. Their Live in NY album is in my top 5 of all time.

Also in a close 2nd was James "the Rev" Sullivan. Drummer for Avenged Sevenfold. He wasnt just a drummer, he wrote many of their songs as well. And all my favorite A7X songs were written by him, all their hits on the radio before he died he wrote. They have not been the same since he passed. In all honesty, A7X is this generations Queen IMO, as close as anyone can be. The talent and composure of their songs had no equal while the Rev was alive.

But anyways, Kurt is my selection. 20 more years of Nirvana would of made me and many others very very happy.

My biological mom is a massive Allman brothers fan. Goes to festivals and anything involving them. She visited recently and after she left she drove to a book signing of Dwayne Allmans daughter. I would probably do the same if Nirvana had kept going somehow.

So anyways, thats my story Nd choice.

Who is yours?

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I thought of the Rev also, although I am quite a bit older than you. So many good ones. It is interesting to think what direction people would have gone in. Someone like Cobain could have gone off in different directions, or, Nirvana could have kept putting out variations of the same album and be playing mid size theaters by now, who knows?
Jimi Hendrix certainly would have been interesting....a creative guy, who knows what direction he would have gone in.
I am going to go with Janis Joplin. A once in a generation kind of singer who never really found a band/situation that fit her massive talent.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I thought of the Rev also, although I am quite a bit older than you. So many good ones. It is interesting to think what direction people would have gone in. Someone like Cobain could have gone off in different directions, or, Nirvana could have kept putting out variations of the same album and be playing mid size theaters by now, who knows?
Jimi Hendrix certainly would have been interesting....a creative guy, who knows what direction he would have gone in.
I am going to go with Janis Joplin. A once in a generation kind of singer who never really found a band/situation that fit her massive talent.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Janis took a" little piece of my heart" my kids hate her and she was so ugly she could make a freight train take a dirt road on a rainy night, but man she could make ya feel it.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
This one is easy. Kurt Cobain. Being born in 1978, I was starting adolescence just when Cobain became popular and grunge took over. It really became a big part of my life. I loved, and will always love Nirvana

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't think u specified musician artist so I'm gonna go theatrical. Chris Farley & John Candy.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Lane Staley.
Jim Croce.

Lennon had already given the world a ton of great work. Not that he didn't go too soon. It's just that he had done so muce

SierraRam

Recreational User
I was just getting into Stevie Ray Vaughan we his life tragicaly ended. Man! What a guitar player

upload_2014-7-19_8-48-43.jpeg

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think u specified musician artist so I'm gonna go theatrical. Chris Farley & John Candy.

I forgot that in order to be specific enough here I need to hire Ape to work kut the terms and conditions lol.

I meant mainly music, but any artist is fine. I agree on Farley and Candy. I think I have seen the E tru hollywood story of Farley at least 10 times.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lane Staley.
Jim Croce.

Lennon had already given the world a ton of great work. Not that he didn't go too soon. It's just that he had done so muce

You make a good point on Lennon

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Hey, I had the Beavis and Butthead Experience too!

sam kinison.

I say he counts as a musician... since this one is DAMN FUN to break out at karaoke (though you have to be careful not to scream directly into the KJ's microphone.)

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I forgot that in order to be specific enough here I need to hire Ape to work kut the terms and conditions lol.

I meant mainly music, but any artist is fine. I agree on Farley and Candy. I think I have seen the E tru hollywood story of Farley at least 10 times.

You better be more damn specific @Tron or your shit is gonna get hijacked real quick! Lol

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I was just getting into Stevie Ray Vaughan we his life tragicaly ended. Man! What a guitar player

View attachment 2357
This was who I was going to say as well. The guy was also just finally pulling his life together when his helicopter went down. I will always hate Eric Clapton for that. My wife and I were going to see he and Joe Cocker in Salem two weeks before that but decided we really couldn't afford it at the time. Still haunts me.

His version of Tin Pan Alley is one of my favorite songs of all time. Such soul in his guitar playing. AND he could sing.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Jimi Hendrix.
So ahead of his time. I often wonder where his music was headed if he hadn't passed. How much more influence would he have pressed upon music than he already had in such a short time? Crazy to think about really.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This isn't even close for me.

ROBERT NESTA MARLEY

These are scenes from his funeral in this vid...