Falcons' Devonta Freeman stops his jog, helps woman with lawnmower

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...og--helps-woman-with-lawnmower-153237378.html

Atlanta Falcons running back Devonta Freeman was just getting in a nice little evening jog Monday when he saw a woman struggling in her front yard.

Eleanor Szendel, 82, was having trouble unloading her lawnmower, and Freeman decided to veer his workout a little bit. Pretty soon he was offering to step in and mow Szendel's grass for her as she was struggling to empty the grass clippings from the mower, because it was getting dark as afternoon quickly was turning to night.

According to the Tallahassee Democrat, Freeman's offer was respectfully rebuffed — she was pretty much finished — but he instantly endeared himself to Szendel and her daughter-in-law, Denise Szendel, who was planting rose bushes for Mother’s Day nearby.

Although the famous Falcons and former Florida State footballer didn't initially identify himself, Szendel knew exactly who he was.

“My mom recognized him because she’s had all four of her kids, a daughter-in-law and son-in-law go to FSU over the last 12 years, and so she was like ‘You’re Devonta Freeman,’” said her son, Bryan Szendel.

He was indeed, and Bryan posted the proof on Instagram to point out Freeman's good deed, which has caught the eye of Falcons and Seminoles fans the past few days.

iA8dqMy.jpg

“She was just really touched that he stopped and helped her out like that,” Denise said.

Freeman is known as one of the more charitable young players in the NFL, so this comes as little surprise. This is the same player who found out about his first Pro Bowl selection while delivering Christmas gifts this past years to families in need.

For the Szendel family, it was a chance meeting and just a simple offering, but also a perfect representation of one of their city's best ambassadors and one of their alma mater's finest gentlemen.

“I just really like meeting a young man who was so respectful. I just really liked the way he represented my kid’s school,” Denise said.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Cool story. Good on him. I'll root for him (except when he plays the Rams).

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I bet when his parents heard about this they said to each other "we did it right".

Nice job Devonta!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I had a moment similar to this when I was in High School. I saw an elderly lady struggling to get her house spread out so she could water her lawn. I went over to offer her help and about scared her to death.

Ram65

Legend
Always good to read the good things Pro Athletes do. It's nice that Devonta help the elderly lady out.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Anybody see the story about Shon Coleman who was drafted by the Browns? He spent his draft party at St. Jude's hospital with the kids.

Really love hearing stories like these.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
There should be a law that forbids old ladies from mowing lawns.. WTF are there no kids in the neighborhood who want to earn a Buck anymore???

I blame the death of paper routes for the fall of Western Civilization

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's my guy! He was a big part of me winning my money FFL championship. A 9th round steal. Thanks for posting a great feel good story.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
interesting factiod ...I work with someone who is related to this kid (showed me home video of the kid when he got drafted) also his brother was in the NFL (linebacker for the bears) a few years ago .

EDIT
not this kid ... he was drafted this year ... ill try and find out who it was (the rest is still true)

EDIT 2

Devontae booker drafted by the Denver broncos ....couldn't have got that more wrong If I tried

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I had a moment similar to this when I was in High School. I saw an elderly lady struggling to get her house spread out so she could water her lawn. I went over to offer her help and about scared her to death.

WTF? Maybe you scared her because she was bat shit crazy.