Experts say re-injured ACLs are common --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Experts say re-injured ACLs are common
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_9d095957-3152-5870-85a7-50ff848fc5ee.html

For the Rams to have two of their top players suffer ACL knee injuries in the same season seems like an extreme case of bad luck. For those same two players to both re-injure those ACLs within a 12-month period, well, that must be incredibly bad luck.

One expert in the field of knee injuries says it’s not unusual for a player that has undergone surgery on a torn anterior cruciate ligament to re-tear the same ACL.

“It’s fairly common, actually,” said Dr. Bert Mandelbaum of the Institute for Sports Medicine in Los Angeles. “When you look at all data and you compare people who’ve torn their ACL, they have a 10 times greater likelihood of tearing their other ACL or the same one. The probability’s about 10-fold greater.”

Quarterback Sam Bradford tore the ACL in his left knee on Oct. 20, 2013 against Carolina. The ACL in the same knee was re-injured 10 months later in an Aug. 23 preseason game in Cleveland.

In the case of left tackle Jake Long, he suffered a torn ACL in his right knee on Dec. 22, 2013 against Tampa Bay. The same knee was re-injured, again 10 months later, in last Sunday’s 34-7 Rams loss in Kansas City.

Both re-injuries occurred 10 months apart, but Mandelbaum’s general opinion was that neither player returned too soon from their initial injuries.

“Certainly 10 months is not being rushed back,” he said. “And certainly the docs there and the surgeons in St. Louis are premier guys who are extremely talented.”

Actually, the knee surgeries on Bradford and Long were not performed by doctors in St. Louis or the Rams’ team doctors. They were performed by Dr. James Andrews, who has offices in Birmingham, Ala., and Pensacola, Fla.

Throughout the NFL it’s common for players to have surgery performed by doctors unaffiliated with the team. Often players have their own preferences for doctors and frequently are steered to doctors by their agents.

In any event, the Rams must decide at the end of this season whether they should go forward with Bradford, who has one year left on his contract, and Long, who has two years. The Rams are asking themselves whether they than can count on the availability of Long and Bradford in 2015, and perhaps beyond, after a second surgery.

Are chances of a full recovery lessened by a second ACL surgery?

“If you take all the literature, overall the answer is they’re not as successful,” Mandelbaum said. “But I think in my view, in the sub-group of athletes and professional athletes, that’s probably not the case.”

In other words, the likelihood of a full recovery after a second ACL injury by pro athletes “probably is not a whole lot different” than after the first surgery. But for the overall group of people who undergo ACLs, a full recovery after a second surgery is less likely.

Dr. Scott Rodeo of the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York would only go as far as saying the results of a second knee surgery for a torn ACL are a little less predictable than the first time around.

“And you can say that for anything, whether it’s something in the shoulder, or a hip replacement, or an ACL surgery,” Rodeo said. “In revision (second) surgery, it’s a little more complex on these knees that already have prior surgery. So the prognosis can sometimes be a bit more guarded.”

In terms of deciding when a football player’s surgically repaired knee is good to go, there’s a set of criteria that isn’t based on the calendar.

“A lot of it’s based on the athletes’ functional ability. That is their strength, their balance, coordination — things like that,” Rodeo said.

First off among the criteria is having a stable knee so the ACL graft is successful. Other factors include: Full range of motion. No swelling in the knee. Regaining not just the strength of the leg muscles and muscles around the knee, but also strength of lower-back and abdominal muscles.

Even so, Rodeo said, “The reality is it’s hard to simulate the high loads they’re gonna have on the athletic field in your office or in the physical therapy area.”

It’s not an exact science.

Mandelbaum said an ACL re-injury is not usually the result of “a surgical thing.

“It’s not a rehabilitative thing. I think at times there is a neuromuscular thing. Sometimes we just can’t see it. We don’t understand it. It just appears in itself.”

He is at the vanguard of a movement studying ACL injuries, particularly those that involve little or no contact.

The study started about 10-15 years ago, when it came to light that ACL injuries were prevalent among female soccer players, particularly those playing at the high school or club level in their teens. For some reason, they were found to be more at risk than their male counterparts.

“We’re seeing that some of that risk is due to differences in how they land from a jump,” said Rodeo, an orthopedic surgeon and former assistant physician for the New York Giants. “It’s kind of how you land, and how you pivot, and how you plant.

“There are, in fact, prevention programs built around that. Teaching athletes how to land from a jump, things like that. Because there are certain positions of the hip and the knee that seem to predispose an athlete to risk. Or at least that we see the differences in those athletes that are injured, versus those that are not.”

That research into knee injuries in soccer has result in the PEP program — short for Prevent Injury and Enhance Performance — and FIFA 11-plus. Both are exercise programs that have helped reduce ACL injuries in that sport.

Mandelbaum is now spearheading ACL prevention research in the NFL.

“Actually in St. Louis, Rob Brophy and Matt Matava have been our collaborators looking at these things,” Mandelbaum said. “Trying to understand these ACL injuries in football players. Trying to gain some better understanding.”

Brophy and Matava are Rams team physicians.

“It turns out that many of these non-contact injuries are very much like our soccer players’ injuries, both on the boys and girls side,” Mandelbaum said. “So what we’re trying to do is figure out exactly what those mechanisms are (causing ACL injuries), and how we best can prevent them using some of the same lessons we’ve learned in the past.”

The idea is to develop a program specific to football players that can train them how to land, jump, keep their balance, etc., in the hope that it will prevent many of the non-contact ACL injuries.

Out of 62 ACL injuries in the NFL in 2013, Mandelbaum said 18 of them were non-contact injuries.

“We haven’t seen (the non-contact injuries) in this magnitude before,” he said.

Mandelbaum — who had reviewed the tape — puts Bradford’s initial injury at Carolina in the non-contact category. True, he was shoved out of bounds, but it wasn’t with great force, and it wasn’t a case where there was direct hit to the knee, such as with a helmet or shoulder.

“It’s not the contract ones necessarily where someone’s hitting a knee like the injuries to Navarro Bowman or Rob Gronkowski,” he said.

Mandelbaum studies every NFL ACL injury on tape. When interviewed Tuesday, he had yet to take a look a Long’s injury in Kansas City. But he has studied both of the Bradford ACL injuries, and considers them both of the non-contact variety.

“The real issue is what I call control,” he said. “The muscular control rather than the contact with the field.”

Mandelbaum likened it to driving a high-powered Ferrari at a high speed around the track, and suddenly the steering gets loose. “In this situation, the control really becomes the problem.”

“We’ve been looking at this football thing for two years trying to gain some understanding of how these happen in the first place, and also how they happen (again),” Mandelbaum said. “Because in reality, with Sam Bradford, it’s the same damn thing the second time.

“It’s not a question of his ACL graft. It’s not a question of how the surgery was done. It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with these other issues that we need to continue to understand and potentially train out of to some degree.”

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Are chances of a full recovery lessened by a second ACL surgery?

“If you take all the literature, overall the answer is they’re not as successful,” Mandelbaum said. “But I think in my view, in the sub-group of athletes and professional athletes, that’s probably not the case.”

In other words, the likelihood of a full recovery after a second ACL injury by pro athletes “probably is not a whole lot different” than after the first surgery. But for the overall group of people who undergo ACLs, a full recovery after a second surgery is less likely.

Dr. Scott Rodeo of the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York would only go as far as saying the results of a second knee surgery for a torn ACL are a little less predictable than the first time around.

I would take the word from 'all of the literature'. The Rams are looking at paying out millions and staking their future on a second injury that most often is not completely successful. How long until Bradford and Long get another ACL injury and how far would that set the team back? At this point I am thinking it would be best to move on.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I would take the word from 'all of the literature'. The Rams are looking at paying out millions and staking their future on a second injury that most often is not completely successful. How long until Bradford and Long get another ACL injury and how far would that set the team back? At this point I am thinking it would be best to move on.
Why do you choose to disregard: "in the sub-group of athletes and professional athletes, that’s probably not the case.”

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Why do you choose to disregard: "in the sub-group of athletes and professional athletes, that’s probably not the case.”
cus some ppl just want a scapegoat or a reason to move on. I've said it a million times I don't want to waste a first round pick on any of these rookie QBs coming out of the draft. so where's that leave us? I don't see Bradford having too many options here but to restructure and come back to play when he's ready even if he misses a few games. draft another mauling Olinemen first round. give him a concrete wall to throw behind and let's see that arm go to work.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

You may have missed the part right after the quote you snipped........it would be a mistake to assume Bradford and Long will be "fine" and less likely to reinjure their knees.

“And you can say that for anything, whether it’s something in the shoulder, or a hip replacement, or an ACL surgery,” Rodeo said. “In revision (second) surgery, it’s a little more complex on these knees that already have prior surgery. So the prognosis can sometimes be a bit more guarded.”

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
cus some ppl just want a scapegoat or a reason to move on. I've said it a million times I don't want to waste a first round pick on any of these rookie QBs coming out of the draft. so where's that leave us? I don't see Bradford having too many options here but to restructure and come back to play when he's ready even if he misses a few games. draft another mauling Olinemen first round. give him a concrete wall to throw behind and let's see that arm go to work.

He may need 18 months to fully recover, that's not unusual for a second surgery on the same tendon. It could be a lot more than a few games it could be the entire year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Stating that there are exceptions in the case of athletes is wishful thinking. The Rams would be hoping that Bradford and Long were such athletes, with no substantiative proof that the claim is even correct. All encompassing theories like that don't float because every athlete is different. Just because Denario Alexander is an athlete, it doesn't mean he heals the same as Adrian Peterson.

Denario Alexander is more the rule and Adrian Peterson is more the exception.

Seeing that both Bradford and Long have had various injuries I have more of a tendency to put them in the Alexander group. Plus neither is particularly good at avoiding injuries, wether it be from stiffness of movement from past injury, wear and tear from years of playing, age, or just a general lack of flexibility, pocket presence, speed, etc...

At first I was in the wait and see camp but the more I thought about it the more I realized that keeping an injury prone player on the team, in a key starting role is just not a winning formula. The Rams did that with Setterstrom, now Saffold, Long, and Bradford and it repeatedly bites them in the behind. I think it is best to move on and when scouting or signing players look at durability a major criteria.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Stating that there are exceptions in the case of athletes is wishful thinking. The Rams would be hoping that Bradford and Long were such athletes, with no substantiative proof that the claim is even correct. All encompassing theories like that don't float because every athlete is different. Just because Denario Alexander is an athlete, it doesn't mean he heals the same as Adrian Peterson.

Seeing that both Bradford and Long have had various injuries I have more of a tendency to put them in the Alexander group. Plus neither is particularly good at avoiding injuries, wether it be from stiffness of movement from past injury, wear and tear from years of playing, age, or just a general lack of flexibility, pocket presence, speed, etc...

At first I was in the wait and see camp but the more I thought about it the more I realized that keeping an injury prone player on the team, in a key starting role is just not a winning formula. The Rams did that with Setterstrom, now Saffold, Long, and Bradford and it repeatedly bites them in the behind. I think it is best to move on and when scouting or signing players look at durability a major criteria.

How Bradford was injured both times is especially nerve racking if your the Rams, there wasn't much contact at all.

Your point about winning formula is dead on the money, it's just a bad plan to keep either of these guys at any price.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
He may need 18 months to fully recover, that's not unusual for a second surgery on the same tendon. It could be a lot more than a few games it could be the entire year.
maybe or maybe not. everyone is different. it's all guessing until the offseason and we'll get a better idea.

Athos

Legend
Bradford and Long just seem like broken puzzle pieces that no longer fit anymore. We have the new puzzle piece in Robinson already. Gotta toss the broken puzzle piece that is Jake now. He was bad before the injury. He'll be another year or more older after he heals and probably worse.

Bradford......What if, what if, what if. Just can't move forward right now with him either. We seem rudderless right now though. We definitely need two new OGs and a new C. We may need a QB.

At this point, cut the dead weight you can, bring in a FA LB or two, and go all in on offense in 2015. OL. QB. WR.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It really pains me to say this, but I'm in the "can't rely on Bradford" camp, too.

Too much risk and money at the most important position.

Time to move on...

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well I'm less optimistic, now.

Restructure Sam, draft Winston, and spend the next three picks on the interior of the OL.

moklerman

Warner-phile
You may have missed the part right after the quote you snipped........it would be a mistake to assume Bradford and Long will be "fine" and less likely to reinjure their knees.

I didn't miss it, it wasn't the point. The point was, the part I quoted was the part that was left off and I wondered why. That isn't assuming that Bradford and Long will be fine but that's also not assuming that Bradford's situation fits into the broad range of all ACL surgeries. Which I think was the doctor's point. A 26 year old athlete being lumped in with a retired 58 year old is just as flawed a way of analyzing the data.

Now, is his experience and opinion on the subject a well-informed one? I don't know but it stands to reason that someone that will be under the care and supervision of the best doctors and trainers that money can buy will stand a better chance of a better recovery than Joe Blow going in for physical therapy a couple of times a week.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well I'm less optimistic, now.

Restructure Sam, draft Winston, and spend the next three picks on the interior of the OL.

The only way to keep Sam around is to restructure. How low will he go?
Why keep him at all, if everyone is just on a be waiting for the next injury to occur, and the chances of it happening seem pretty high now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I didn't miss it, it wasn't the point. The point was, the part I quoted was the part that was left off and I wondered why. That isn't assuming that Bradford and Long will be fine but that's also not assuming that Bradford's situation fits into the broad range of all ACL surgeries. Which I think was the doctor's point. A 26 year old athlete being lumped in with a retired 58 year old is just as flawed a way of analyzing the data.

Now, is his experience and opinion on the subject a well-informed one? I don't know but it stands to reason that someone that will be under the care and supervision of the best doctors and trainers that money can buy will stand a better chance of a better recovery than Joe Blow going in for physical therapy a couple of times a week.

If I was an orthopedic surgeon and wanted a chance to develop a rep like James Andrews there is no way in hell I say that the prognosis for returning from a second ACL is bad. Private practice doctors make millions. Private practice doctors performing surgery on athletes make more. Admitting that the prognosis is not good eliminates any chance of being sought out for services.

Plus some people just don't want to completely lean either in fear of being completely wrong.

DX was in his low 20s. He is more the norm.

moklerman

Warner-phile

I don't disagree but it also has to be taken on a case by case basis. Bradford is obviously a risk but taking a line in the sand approach would have had the Lions moving on from Stafford and the Colts already got rid of Peyton. It isn't always the answer. Alex Smith has also overcome injuries. It's certainly frustrating waiting and hoping for a guy to find a way to stay healthy but if you think the player is worth it, it's hard not to consider giving him another chance.

Alexander's a good counter-point to that idea but that falls under the "case-by-case" part of the discussion to me. Alexander had nothing left in his knees and they were bone on bone so it seems like a different situation than Bradford. Bradford's just perplexing. Maybe he just isn't built for the rigors of the NFL but it's not like his knees are just gone like Danario or Namath or whoever.

That's not to say that the Rams shouldn't consider or even institute an alternative plan but I don't think that a "cut bait" approach is a necessity. They've come this far with Bradford and if they still believe in his ability, then bring in some insurance but give him the last year of his deal to try and put it all together. No rookie is going to be ready as a rookie so having Bradford as the veteran isn't such a bad plan of action.

moklerman

Warner-phile
If I was an orthopedic surgeon and wanted a chance to develop a rep like James Andrews there is no way in hell I say that the prognosis for returning from a second ACL is bad. Private practice doctors make millions. Private practice doctors performing surgery on athletes make more. Admitting that the prognosis is not good eliminates any chance of being sought out for services.

Plus some people just don't want to completely lean either in fear of being completely wrong.

DX was in his low 20s. He is more the norm.
I think you should qualify a statement like that. It seems to me that DX stands out too which would lead one to believe that his situation wasn't the norm but a bit unusual.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't disagree but it also has to be taken on a case by case basis. Bradford is obviously a risk but taking a line in the sand approach would have had the Lions moving on from Stafford and the Colts already got rid of Peyton. It isn't always the answer. Alex Smith has also overcome injuries. It's certainly frustrating waiting and hoping for a guy to find a way to stay healthy but if you think the player is worth it, it's hard not to consider giving him another chance.

Alexander's a good counter-point to that idea but that falls under the "case-by-case" part of the discussion to me. Alexander had nothing left in his knees and they were bone on bone so it seems like a different situation than Bradford. Bradford's just perplexing. Maybe he just isn't built for the rigors of the NFL but it's not like his knees are just gone like Danario or Namath or whoever.

That's not to say that the Rams shouldn't consider or even institute an alternative plan but I don't think that a "cut bait" approach is a necessity. They've come this far with Bradford and if they still believe in his ability, then bring in some insurance but give him the last year of his deal to try and put it all together. No rookie is going to be ready as a rookie so having Bradford as the veteran isn't such a bad plan of action.

Bradfords injuries go beyond the knee. The knee in itself is worrisome to the say the least. The ankle, the shoulder.....what else? I think you hit on it when you said "Bradford's just perplexing. Maybe he just isn't built for the rigors of the NFL".

The trouble here is that the Rams have to make a decision. They cannot just be in a holding pattern. So, do they keep Sam on another full year and hope he plays well, and if he does then give him a new contract and hope that he never gets another serious knee injury? Or do they say " we are paying this guy a lot of money and he may not even be ready to play half a season next year and when he does will he be ready? Not likely and goodbye."

I take the hard stance now. Originally I thought like you. Lets see what happens. If Davis plays well enough lets just ride him all year and let Sam take over next season with a capable backup in Austin Davis. However I have read more than this one article saying that full recovery from a second ACL tear is not likely. So, if you agree that the Rams have a lot of young talent in place and are nearly ready to start winning do you risk another season hoping that Sam holds up? Do you risk another season of disappointment for fans and your young players? I wouldn't. Somewhere this chain of losing needs to broken and pinning your hopes on Sam for another year isn't going to break it. Plus if he holds up for two years and breaks down again then they are set back again and even further.

Now I know that bringing in a rookie is no guarantee of success. In many cases it is a guarantee of failure. But with a new, healthy, young QB you have real hope. Not hope that is hanging by a thread or dangling on a bad knee. If a guy has the potential the players will see it. They know what Bradford has but do they believe that he will be there for a full season? Do they believe that he wont be gun-shy, protecting his leg at every chance of a hit?

I am sorry Moklerman but at this point I really think they just need to be proactive and be done with flirting with an injury prone QB. The Rams offensive line was pretty good when Setterstrom was healthy and when he wasn't the team had a big void to fill. The void at QB will be even bigger.

If Austin Davis finishes the season in a way that convinces everyone that he can be the guy, then maybe the Rams follow your plan and say you have one more year here Sam and feel comfortable with Davis waiting in the wings. However after Sams contract expires do they resign him? For how much? Does his knee hold up for one year and then blowout again?

There are just too many ifs in this scenario to make it look like what a proactive winning franchise would rely on to win. Don't look back.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

thomas davis had 3 acl tears years ago. everyone thought his career was over. did anyone see him on thursday night? the guy is an animal, no sign of any limitations when he runs and changes direction.