Expectations are higher for Rams in fourth year under Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Expectations are higher for Rams in fourth year under Fisher
By Norm Sanders

http://www.bnd.com/sports/nfl/st-louis-rams/article29574184.html#storylink=cpy

The fourth year of the Jeff Fisher era for the St. Louis Rams kicks off Friday with the opening of training camp and more than a little intrigue and uncertainty.

Rams owner Stan Kroenke has a stated desire — and a stadium plan — that would move the team back to Los Angeles. Meanwhile, the Rams are still in St. Louis and hoping to climb the NFC West ladder in 2015 in a division that includes Super Bowl runner-up Seattle.

“It’s interesting because I get what you’re saying,” Rams General Manager Les Snead said Thursday when asked about raised expectations in the fourth season with the current regime. “It’s year four of your tenure but you’re actually really jacked about it because you actually feel good about the foundation and where we’re going, it’s just it hasn’t occurred yet. We’ve got to go do that this year. We’re ready to go compete because you’ve got a coaching staff you are ready to go to battle with and players that have grown up and are ready to go to battle.”

Beginning with 3:30 p.m. Friday, several training camp practices at Rams Park in Earth City, Mo., are free and open to the public. Open practices also are set for 3:30 p.m. Saturday and 5:30 p.m. Sunday. For more information, visit stlouisrams.com.

Among the critical areas to watch during training camp is the performance of new starting quarterback Nick Foles. There’s also an offensive line that figures to have a new starting center and two rookies starting on the right side, the development of rookie running back Todd Gurley and evolution of a potentially strong receiving corps headed by Kenny Britt and Brian Quick.

While Fisher and Snead have done a lot of rebuilding, they started at the bottom with the Rams coming off a 15-65 stretch in the previous four seasons before their arrival.

“Your always trying to figure out, measure progress, right?” Snead said. “I’m not going to speak about it a ton because you’re tired of hearing about it. But you start in a pretty deep hole here. And there’s a lot of analytics based on who was on the ’11 roster and where they’re at now.

“But since ’12, we’re third in win-percentage improvement, only behind Denver and Seattle. It’s an interesting stat, we just started a lot of lower down the hill than they did. But it has shown some progress. And there’s some adversity. You didn’t plan on 25 straight (games) with your backup quarterback.

“You’ve gotta always overcome it. And in that time, the league usually wins about 26 percent of the games with a backup QB, we won 40 percent. And we’ve done all this with a young team.”

Nick Foles impressive early; Todd Gurley ahead of schedule

St. Louis Rams: Five Questions Heading into Training Camp

Snead knows there’s a long way to go before anyone starts mentioning “Rams” and “playoff contender” in the same sentence. However, he feels this is the most talented Fisher-coached team in St. Louis and believes the coaching staff can help ignite more improvement.

“I anticipate us contending for the (NFC) West (title),” Snead said. “I’m planning on it, expecting it, and not scared. But I like to say, all that is math. Those are numbers in a math equation that may analyze some progress and predict some future (success), but at the end of the day when the sun sets, what’s next?

“What now? That’s what we’ve got to do now is grow and go on a winning streak and things like that. We’re close. I can feel it.”

If nothing else, the Rams are used to dealing with adversity. There’s the threat of a franchise move to Los Angeles, the two ACL injuries to former first overall pick and former starting quarterback Sam Bradford and too many losses to count.

“When Sam had the second injury, I give the team credit for rallying with Austin (Davis) and Shaun (Hill), even Kellen (Clemens) in those days,” Snead said. “Because there were some big wins. Shaun Hill beating Peyton Manning. Austin Davis had some big wins, Kellen Clemens did, too.”

Contact reporter Norm Sanders at nsanders@bnd.com or 618-239-2454. Follow him on Twitter: @NormSanders.

Rams Open Practice Schedule

at Rams Park, Earth City, Mo.

* 3:30 p.m. Friday

* 3:30 p.m. Saturday

* 5:30 p.m. Sunday

* 3:30 p.m. Aug. 4

* 5:30 p.m. Aug. 6

* 5 p.m. Aug. 7 (open scrimmage at Lindenwood University in St. Charles, Mo.)

* 3:30 p.m. Aug. 9

* 3:30 p.m. Aug. 10

* 5:30 p.m. Aug. 11

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK... a show of hands...

How many of us said "no excuses" last year (be honest!!)

I know I was one of them.

But, Bradford goes down... and that becomes an acceptable excuse... even though some said "NO excuses".

So, I'm seeing a lot of that same phrase this year.. but, do we really mean it?

In other words, are there acceptable excuses if the team were to fall below .500 again?

If no, then, no.

But, if yes... what are they (the excuses)?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Losing your QB for an entire season is a death sentence. That can used as an excuse for literally every team. If Bradford started every game last season and we went 6-10, I would have wanted Fisher fired.

iced

OK... a show of hands...

How many of us said "no excuses" last year (be honest!!)

I know I was one of them.

But, Bradford goes down... and that becomes an acceptable excuse... even though some said "NO excuses".

So, I'm seeing a lot of that same phrase this year.. but, do we really mean it?

In other words, are there acceptable excuses if the team were to fall below .500 again?

If no, then, no.

But, if yes... what are they (the excuses)?

excuses are always in full flux for the team... blame the lousy production of the receiving corps on an unstable QB situation, yet even Rookies like Mike Evans out produced any receiver on this team with arguably a worse QB and O-line situation.. Even Arizona's corps out produced despite their loss of palmer and a shakey o-line...Josh Gordon's amazing season with 3 different qb's...

really tired of the excuses - want to see some results for a change. The teams that overcome adversity have the talent to do so.

Maybe things will change this year - but i've really grown tired of the excuses when I see keep seeing exceptions everywhere else.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I couldn't say we would be great with Austin or Hill. I just couldn't. I expected more out of the D in the beginning but it's almost impossible to get to the playoffs with a mediocre QB. Trent Dilfer had one of the best D's in history at his side.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Losing your starting quarterback cannot be understated. It absolutely impacts a team. Look what happened when Manning went down with the Colts. They went from perennial superbowl contender to first pick of the draft.

I'm not trying to compare Bradford to Manning because there is no comparison. But losing him definitely affected the team in a big way.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“But since ’12, we’re third in win-percentage improvement, only behind Denver and Seattle. It’s an interesting stat, we just started a lot of lower down the hill than they did. But it has shown some progress. And there’s some adversity. You didn’t plan on 25 straight (games) with your backup quarterback.

“You’ve gotta always overcome it. And in that time, the league usually wins about 26 percent of the games with a backup QB, we won 40 percent. And we’ve done all this with a young team.”
This ^ part of the piece Really grabs my attention! And I like it!:D GO RAMS!!
addon.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I got to thinking. Maybe I should have had Visuals, with my opinion above^! Sooo .. to that end ..

warner.kurt.jpg

MarshallFaulkTOUCHDOWN2.jpg

Fear4some%205.jpg

GET THE PICTURE!!?!!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
excuses are always in full flux for the team... blame the lousy production of the receiving corps on an unstable QB situation, yet even Rookies like Mike Evans out produced any receiver on this team with arguably a worse QB and O-line situation.. Even Arizona's corps out produced despite their loss of palmer and a shakey o-line...Josh Gordon's amazing season with 3 different qb's...

really tired of the excuses - want to see some results for a change. The teams that overcome adversity have the talent to do so.

Maybe things will change this year - but i've really grown tired of the excuses when I see keep seeing exceptions everywhere else.
In their fourth year, I won't accept any excuses and this is why:
By now, even if an important player goes down, IMO they have had four years to build a roster that should withstand that impact.

If they have not, then that's on them.

Yes, a little hard line... but that's how I see it.

I am stoked for this season because I believe they have built a roster that can withstand just about anything. If I am right, then there are no excuses and the Rams finally... FINALLY get into the playoffs!!
(y):X3::):D :party: :banana: :popcorn: :lifting: :rockon: :cheers:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I have to say that losing Foles for a majority of the season would be an "excuse" that I could accept.

It's simply a mortal blow to a team. Ask yourself if any of last year's playoff teams would have made the playoffs at all minus their starting QB for all 16 games. I doubt that a single one would have. It's just that critical, IMO.

Quality starting QB's are scarce as hen's teeth in the first place. The drop off to backup QB is just too much to overcome in this competitive league.

But other than losing Foles, I can't see accepting any other excuses for not achieving a 10-6 record and/or a playoff berth.

We now have serious talent at our starting positions and some damned good depth players behind them.