Evidently expectations are kinda high this year (and stuff)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I say this because of the inordinate amount of ... let's say ... concerns that have been popping up on this fine ass board the past few days. To me, that signifies that losing is something that really shouldn't happen very much -- if at all. Apparently the majority thinks we have the talent to overcome all obstacles, and that's a far cry from the earlier part of the decade where losses were met with acceptance almost. Partly because the team was so injured that expectations were low to begin with. That made the wins that much more savory.

But now the pulse of this board is different.

Losses are inexcusable. Rookies and first contract players are expected to be near flawless in their execution. Coaches and assistant coaches who were once heralded for their part in the turnaround here are now under scrutiny for their apparent lack of knowledge. The ability to come roaring back (something that rarely ever happened) isn't good enough anymore. Now we're supposed to be leading in every game so that coming from behind is no longer a necessity. This guy is a liability, that guy is no longer good, and don't even get me started on that other dude... what is HIS problem?

Does anyone know why a defense plays soft zone cover 2 against teams that have potent offenses? Not in theory. Does anyone REALLY know? It's strong versus the run, and the Rams have been knocking the shit out of teams in the run game. It provides leverage on both wide receivers (SE, FL) without having to double-team. The defensive backs can cover five of the six underneath zones without giving up the home run play. The success of zone coverage is predicated on a four man rush, and the Rams have built one of the more fierce (rotating) starting four in the league. It also takes away the out patterns and can hold up the TE. And most importantly, it can provide weakside force and contain against scrambling QBs. Not to mention blitzing out of zone will disrupt the QB's coverage reads and force a quick throw.

Why doesn't it work as well as you want it to?

Consider the average starting time and experience in this scheme that our secondary has right now. This isn't a team full of Champ Baileys and Ed Reeds. 2nd rounders, rookies, new veteran additions, and late round draft picks (or UDFAs) fill out the back 7. The front four, believe it or not, are doing their job in this scheme. It's going to take a little while (more than two games) for the back 7 to be intimately aware of trends, tendencies, and to be aware of what their teammates' responsibilities are in this defense (because they have to know that too). It truly is a bend, don't break defense. And it will be effective when everyone is playing instinctively. It's two fucking games, guys. Two. I know it's aggravating to watch teams move the ball the way they are, but it will tighten up.

And for those of you who want press man coverage at all times, then consider what Julio Jones did to Jenkins, or what Fitzgerald did to Finnegan. Both of those plays came in man coverage. You can have that, or you can make an offense work really hard for their yardage by making the QB become a model of perfection on long sustained drives. The odds are better in zone. For the personnel we have, the odds are better in zone. And I'm telling you, once the back 7 becomes more seasoned, press man will be that much more effective. And we will use press man in a game frequently as well. It's all about situational playcalling and situational defensive alignments. We're just not that experienced as a team right now. But we will be soon if you have any faith in Fisher and his staff to make the necessary corrections and adjustments.

Anyway. Before I turn this into a book while my chicken is smoking away on the grill, I just figured I'd do a little venting of my own and let the thoughts that were plaguing my brain flow free. You're free to interject, but I'm hoping that the discussion is productive and encouraging. I've seen enough of the alternative for a few days.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Re: Evidently expectations are kinda high this year (and stu

Thanks for saying that. The pulse on this board has been different, and it's one of many reasons why I haven't been posting as often.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Memento said:
Thanks for saying that. The pulse on this board has been different, and it's one of many reasons why I haven't been posting as often.
Agreed

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk 2

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Expectations are also high in the locker room, did you see the Jeff Fisher show, JL said the team was pissed about losing and felt they let Atl win a game the Rams should have won on the road. No moral victories for this Rams team.

Now to your point X, didnt Fisher bring the team along slowly last season, ratcheting up the D as the season went along? Fisher has spoke about every year being different, IMO he is doing what he does as a coach. Start with the basics and build upon them, I'm sure by the second half of the season this D will more resemble the D we remember from the second half of last season, maybe even better, with the addition of AO and the new thumper in TJ.

Things are looking up for this young Rams team, and we as fans have been starving for an exciting season for far to long. It is very close, so close we can all see it coming.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Memento said:
I'm sorry to here that, Mem. As you know, the last thing we want this board to become is a haven for negativity and an arena for posters to spar with each other. For that reason, I encourage everyone to take advantage of everything this board has to offer. Get involved in some of the off-topic discussion. Get together in the chat room before and after games, or even during a Thursday or Monday nighter. Visit the Members Photos section (members only) and let everyone know who you are and what you're about. Talk some shit in the Pick 'Em contest comments section, and join one of our fantasy football leagues. Become a community and make some friends. The objective for Rams ON DEMAND is for people to get together, shoot the shit about this team, and interact with one another like you're part of something special here.

There are lots of boards out there, and they all have different vibes. Everyone who's a member here is responsible for cultivating the vibe of a fan-first community. Running down the organization, its players, or its coaches, is not a component of that mission. I know people like to vent, but we put up threads specifically for that purpose after a loss. Take advantage of that and get it out of your system. After that, focus on the next game and put that shit behind you. Another alternative would be to organize a chat session in the middle of the week to let it all hang out. I'd be more than happy to organize that if it means keeping the threads on this board focused on problem solving and ideas for improvement. It would be my great pleasure.

Remember. You're not weak if you stay upbeat and optimistic.
It actually takes more strength and courage to do that than to join the banshees in their wailing.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Well said X. I guess this fan base is so jaded that they remember the "one step forward, six steps back" scenario that took place in 2010-11. There is a real fear amongst some of us that this team will just continue along this path of futility indefinitely, and it can cause irrational concern after a loss. I wojld bet that 80% of Rams fans, if honest, had that 2nd game penciled in as a loss. So where do we stand after 2 games? Exactly where most of us expected. What happens this week will really start to give us a clue as to how far this young team can go this year.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

RamBall said:
Expectations are also high in the locker room, did you see the Jeff Fisher show, JL said the team was pissed about losing and felt they let Atl win a game the Rams should have won on the road. No moral victories for this Rams team.

Now to your point X, didnt Fisher bring the team along slowly last season, ratcheting up the D as the season went along? Fisher has spoke about every year being different, IMO he is doing what he does as a coach. Start with the basics and build upon them, I'm sure by the second half of the season this D will more resemble the D we remember from the second half of last season, maybe even better, with the addition of AO and the new thumper in TJ.

Things are looking up for this young Rams team, and we as fans have been starving for an exciting season for far to long. It is very close, so close we can all see it coming.
Yes, he did bring them along incrementally last year. This year is a bit different because we are missing some veterans now on defense, and have again added rookies to the mix. It shouldn't be a surprise that they're off to a rocky start because of that. But here's what I know. Last year Fisher made the statement that this team would end up with the sack record, and they didn't start off with a bunch of sacks (they had a total of 2 through two games). They did, however, end up tied for most in the league. This year he said they would lead the league in limiting 3rd down conversion percentages. Obviously not off to a good start, but he's not going to let the defense lose sight of their objective. Adjustments will come, changes will be made, and things will tighten up. Just gotta have faith.

Slappy967

Starter

I don't know about you but I miss the days of Spags clapping for his guys after they just gave up TD after TD and then have them "good games" on the sideline. :)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Bend don't break defenses are not my favorite, but I fully understand the theory. A lot of teams do it. It is designed to keep everything in front of you, and the theory is that the offense will eventually make a mistake.

I just prefer to force the mistake. It's Fisher's team, and he's a damn fine coach, but I thought that's what HE talked about doing, using more press. Is there a possible disconnect between him and Walton? Last week Fisher said that they played more off than he wanted to. I dunno.

My problem with the off coverage is only on third downs, and in goal line. I truly don't understand it. If a team needs 2-4 yards, and you give them a 10 yard cush, and then you still back pedal... I thought we had the corners to finally do it. We haven't had them in the past. Seems like we had the same type of issues last season, but Fisher will fix them, IMO. He fixed Williams last year, didn't he.

I was thinking about Finnegan's poor play yesterday, and I had a flashback to Mikell last year when he started the season. Maybe Finn's legs are just tired right now, he's not a spring chicken anymore, maybe he will get his legs back, that is what I'm hoping for. As far as Jenkins, I was concerned about him last year, and I am still concerned about him, he needs to learn from his mistakes. I am still hoping that he will.

Anyway, my opinion is not that we are off to a rocky start, I was damn proud of the team last week, but that the penalties are killing us. Even if some of the penalties were NOT penalties.

As far as the tone of the board, it has changed, but it's not fair to compare it to the PD, not fair at all. I don't understand, or like, the Chicken Little stuff though.

Slappy967

Starter

Yeah the Chicken Little stuff has got to go. People lose their minds on game day with the Schotty sucks, Bradford sucks, Fisher sucks & same ol Rams nonsense. Football is played in 4 quarters so unless the fat lady is singing the National Anthem stop throwing in the towel so early. This team will fight from bell to bell and the rolling over and dying philosophy of Spags and co is over.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

DR RAM said:
..... I was damn proud of the team last week, but that the penalties are killing us. Even if some of the penalties were NOT penalties.

As far as the tone of the board, it has changed, but it's not fair to compare it to the PD, not fair at all. I don't understand, or like, the Chicken Little stuff though.
+1 +1 +1

by the way, last wks game was very unfairly called by the refs... to the pt of being ridiculous. So, the penalties don't bother me as much as it seemed to others.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Stranger said:
DR RAM said:
..... I was damn proud of the team last week, but that the penalties are killing us. Even if some of the penalties were NOT penalties.

+1 +1 +1

by the way, last wks game was very unfairly called by the refs... to the pt of being ridiculous. So, the penalties don't bother me as much as it seemed to others.
Yeah, it bothers me the other way, the bad ref way. I just have to hope that we stop getting those bad calls all the time.

I actually think this team, so far, is better than I expected. To go through all that we went through the last two weeks and still be in those games..in previous seasons we wouldn't have ended up close in either one of those games.

WvuIN02

Starter

When fan expectations go up, its a sign things are changing. Winning becomes expected.

Which is why Steelers land is in full on sky is falling mode. They havent had back to back losing seasons I think except one time since the 1980s. Its what being spoiled gets you. But as the saying goes there that Mike Tomlin says over and over, "the standard is the standard" in Pittsburgh and they dont care if you are a backup or 3rd stringer you are expected to perform.

While it will bring more negativity, when the fans expect so much (as in Pittsburgh) it holds everyone: the front office, coaches, and players to a higher bar.

Do you want that, or to be a part of the apathy that has set in for say fans of a team like Jacksonville? I know where I'd rather be.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Really X?
What is the purpose of this thread? Is it a State of the Board address?
Is it a post meant to change opinions? Or silence them?

Clarification please,because i love this board,and i left the other board(and some good ppl) because the trolls were disguised as Real Rams fans and the mods let it continue.

However,i've noticed since coming here that it seems that if criticism or any questioning of the team,its coaches and players is offered up...that yourself and a few others quickly try to smother it like small fire in the corner of the room.

Just my perception.

Personally i haven't read anything upsetting,out of bounds,ridiculous or overly critical from anyone lately.
You cant change or temper expectations.
I'll likely catch shit for posting this but thats fine.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Mojo Ram said:
Really X?
What is the purpose of this thread? Is it a State of the Board address?
Is it a post meant to change opinions? Or silence them?

Clarification please,because i love this board,and i left the other board(and some good ppl) because the trolls were disguised as Real Rams fans and the mods let it continue.

However,i've noticed since coming here that it seems that if criticism or any questioning of the team,its coaches and players is offered up...that yourself and a few others quickly try to smother it like small fire in the corner of the room.

Just my perception.

Personally i haven't read anything upsetting,out of bounds,ridiculous or overly critical from anyone lately.
I'll likely catch shit for posting this but thats fine.
Yeah, just kind of a state of the board address (I like that, btw). I don't want to change anyone's opinions, and I don't want to tell anyone how or what to post. If it came across that way, I apologize. It was basically just a gut-check and some general observations. I haven't seen anything out of bounds either. As I posted in a different thread, I know who those "types" are. We don't have anyone like that here (anymore).

You have to see it from my perspective too, Mojo. I (we) are responsible for maintaining the image of this board. The very same board you defected to. If I (we) sense it sliding into despair, we'd just like to try and pick it back up and steer the discussion towards something more productive. And I'm always open to someone telling me that I'm being overbearing or unfair; and if you see me being that way, you're more than welcome to tell me to STFU. I'm cool with that.

Shoot. Just ask Stu. :yeh:

RamzFanz

Damnit

Humph.

I hear ya X. And I respect you and what's been created here.

I'm just sick of the knowing chuckles when I admit to my Rams fandom.

Atlanta was a winnable game. I would go so far as to say an easily winnable game. If it hadn't have been, I wouldn't be mad. I accept youth, inexperience, personnel holes, etc. I DON'T accept not playing to win. Not smothering Jones is begging for a loss.

Did I have that game penciled as a loss before the season? Yes. Did I change my opinion before the game to winnable? Yes. And it was. And it shouldn't have been a first half blowout.

Is the Dallas game winnable? No doubt in my mind the Rams could jump out ahead, stay ahead, and score 30+ points.

I love the vibe of this board so I'll slow my roll but if they pull the same game plan in Dallas with the same results, I'll have to go to time out for a week.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

Mojo Ram with his thoughts:
I'll likely catch shyte for posting this but thats fine.

Not from me, I agree with this part 100%. It's the threads that have strong opinions on both sides that interest me. I could say much more but I'll hold it in if Memento will promise to post more. :lol:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

The Dude doesn't abide posters saying that the team, players, or coaches suck in derogatory terms, never has, never will.

It's just a choice of words when it comes down to it, or a way to phrase a title, as not to inflame others.

That's my take on it. Discussion is always welcome.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

albefree69 said:
Mojo Ram with his thoughts:
I'll likely catch shyte for posting this but thats fine.

Not from me, I agree with this part 100%. It's the threads that have strong opinions on both sides that interest me. I could say much more but I'll hold it in if Memento will promise to post more. :lol:

Go ahead and say what you want, albe. I certainly don't mind, and I don't want to be the reason for you holding back something you want to say.

:yeh:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think it's amazing that we still had a possibility to win the Atlanta game. It was right there. The way the cookie crumbles. That's what so much of the negativity stems from is knowing it was right there and with a little bit better chess moves, or better officiating, we win.
Not to take away from the huge positive strides this team has made, we all love it. It's just in my heart I know 9-7 or 8-8 most likely won't get us in the playoffs and so the victories that are within our grasp, the team has to come together somehow and snatch the win. I haven't purposely tried to be negative, just laying down on your couch and talking to my football therapist friends here at ROD. That was exciting to see them come back and make a game of it and nothing but positive vibes going forward.