ESPN hires Rex Ryan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
stewie-gun-in-mouth-o.gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would criticize ESPN for their football content but since I stopped watching it years ago I don't have any examples
But I do appreciate them hiring Rex, which will ensure I don't find out what I've been "missing"

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rex will work for free. But he has permission to sniff every employees feet whenever the mood strikes him.

al-bundy-sm.jpg

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/20/rex-ryan-likely-will-be-working-for-free-at-espn/

Rex Ryan likely will be working for free at ESPN
Posted by Mike Florio on March 20, 2017

So how much will former Jets and Bills coach Rex Ryan make over the next three years as an employee of ESPN? Probably not a dime.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Ryan’s contract with the Bills has offset language that applies not only to other coaching jobs but also to broadcasting jobs. Thus, with $5.5 million due to Ryan for each of the next three years, the biggest winners in light of Ryan’s employment at ESPN are owners Terry and Kim Pegula, who will be getting credit for every dollar Ryan earns at ESPN, up to $5.5 million per year.

It’s possible that ESPN will be paying Ryan even more than $5.5 million per year. But that would be a surprise, especially in light of the ongoing financial issues at ESPN that likely will be sparking widespread job reductions for on-air talent soon. Even if that were to happen, Ryan would be losing up to $5.5 million per year for every dollar he gains from ESPN.

Of course, Ryan benefits in ways other than financial from his new job at ESPN. By establishing his TV chops, Ryan lays the foundation to make even more money beyond 2019, when his buyout expires. By remaining in the public eye, he possibly positions himself for other coaching jobs.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...x-ryan-was-a-coach-with-a-death-wish-in-2016/

Report: Rex Ryan was a “coach with a death wish” in 2016
Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2017

630205576-e1491748912530.jpg
Getty Images

Rex Ryan, gone from Buffalo but not forgotten since he’ll be getting paid $16.5 million over the next three years (minus the much, much, much lower salary he’ll get from ESPN), entered 2016 with his fraternal twin at his side. It didn’t go well.

Why didn’t it? According to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News, Rex “basically dedicated the 2016 season to resurrecting the reputation” of Rob Ryan, who had been fired by the Saints (after being fired by the Cowboys).

“Rob was not the Bills defensive coordinator but had the run of the place,” Myers writes. “He was almost the co-head coach.”

Myers claims the entire staff became dysfunctional, and that “some of [Rex’s] actions behind the scenes were indicative of a coach with a death wish.”

Myers doesn’t specify any of Rex’s behind-the-scenes actions. Given some of Rex’s past actions, it’s easy for the imagination to run wild.

It became obvious last May that Rex and Rob planned to run wild with the Bills, based on a joint interview that provided a glimpse as to how things could go now that the two men who once shared a womb would be joined at the hip in Buffalo.

They went all in with their own unique style, and it resulted in both of them being exiled for now (and possibly for good) from coaching jobs at the NFL level.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm glad that ESPN continues to show why I never consider watching them even on the worse of bad days. Its a wonder how a network that I had a serious cravings for several decades ago.....could flush itself :help:into the septic tank.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Reminds me, Boni, of a bumper sticker I saw on the back of a septic pump truck "Atlas Cesspool Service: Your Shyt Is Our Bread And Butter"

Ram65

Legend
It does seem like Rex is old news. I guess he may have a following in the big market of New York. Stopped watching ESPN and don't have NFLN any more. I watch some NFLN clips. I catch the silly (at time) FOX pregame. . ROD is the best source of info for me.