Entire referee crew "reassigned"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Morelli and his crew did the Browns at Rams game in 2015. It seems like all the NFL is doing is spreading the incompetence to other crews. Btw Morelli's punishment was having to ref the Pro Bowl game. :snicker:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ating-crew-after-multiple-errors-last-season/

Pete Morelli gets entirely new officiating crew after multiple errors last season
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on May 24, 2016

morelli.jpg
Getty Images

After a poor season for Pete Morelli and his officiating crew last season that featured two separate disciplinary measures from the league for mistakes, the league has given Morelli an entirely new crew for 2016.

According to Ben Austro of FootballZebras.com, Morelli’s crew has been entirely reassigned after errors with timing in the Pittsburgh Steelers-San Diego Chargers game and a Baltimore Ravens-Jacksonville Jaguars contest last season resulted in league discipline against the crew.

View: https://twitter.com/footballzebras/status/734809592249651201

Side judge Rob Vernatchi was suspended for Week 6 games after failing to notice a clock error in the Steelers-Chargers game. Another mistake in the Jaguars-Ravens game gave Jacksonville the opportunity to kick a game-winning field goal when time should have expired. The result was Morelli’s crew getting yanked from working a Sunday Night Football game in Week 13 between the Steelers and Indianapolis Colts.

The league is also set to add three new officials this season. Side judge Alan Eck and head linesman Jerod Phillips from the Big 12, and umpire Ramon George of Conference USA. Head linesman George Hayward is the only retirement from the on-field officiating roster.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We can thank the refs union for this shit, and let's face it shit is exactly what it is. This is like the catholic church punishing pedophile priests by moving them to another congregation.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I thought entire ref crew re-assigned meant they'd be off the field....Another example of the shield protecting itself....Looking out for one another...Why, maybe because it's just a game....Now if they start moving doctors or teachers around to new locations because of incompetence...oh wait!?:shocked::giveup:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Officials need to be hired FULLTIME, and given training for at least a year, classroom, film and field and then tested on knowledge of the rules before they are full fledged officials. Its been apparent the last few years that some officials don't know all the rules. And when they do screw up, dock their pay just like in regular jobs.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
Officials need to be hired FULLTIME, and given training for at least a year, classroom, film and field and then tested on knowledge of the rules before they are full fledged officials. Its been apparent the last few years that some officials don't know all the rules. And when they do screw up, dock their pay just like in regular jobs.

I think that would be kind of hard for the NFL to do (if Goodell even had a spine) because of their union. I could be wrong though. But I agree completely.

These guys make six figures being NFL refs, and a lot of them have off season ref jobs, too. They should be experts at their craft. Anything less is a slight to the NFL, imo.

Successful coaches challenges should count as strikes against crews, too.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
My point exactly Wolf. How can you be an expert when you're only doing part time?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Officials need to be hired FULLTIME, and given training for at least a year, classroom, film and field and then tested on knowledge of the rules before they are full fledged officials. Its been apparent the last few years that some officials don't know all the rules.
http://time.com/money/4200441/nfl-referees-get-paid-super-bowl/

avg. $173,000 Just fucking wow!!!!
And they don't know all the rules...I personally think some of them are too old...With a fast paced game, all the running, the fatigue is in play when they're thinking of the rules.....plus being out of position...they're missing calls and making shit up if they're not sure.

These guys make six figures being NFL refs
See link above...it got me thinking wolf;)
http://collegemouse.com/jobs/how-to-become-an-nfl-referee.html
:mrburnsevil:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't buy the whole "Refs should be full time" bit.
What do you expect these guys to do for 6 months out of the year?
The game is too fast and the NFL needs to embrace technology and invest in it.
Another reason why a developmental league would be great for the sport. Not only would the player get a 2nd chance, it would be perfect breeding ground for refs

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't buy the whole "Refs should be full time" bit.
What do you expect these guys to do for 6 months out of the year?
The game is too fast and the NFL needs to embrace technology and invest in it.
Another reason why a developmental league would be great for the sport. Not only would the player get a 2nd chance, it would be perfect breeding ground for refs

Study the rules, practice and test each other out. Hone their abilities. Attend camps and OTA's to help players and coaches learn the rules.\

There is plenty they can do.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
This is the same bugger that was fucked up the Odell Beckham/William Hayes spat.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
If everything was reviewable... these shitty Refs and game altering mistakes they make would be drastically reduced.

The technology is available now. Nothing should be more important than getting the calls correct.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I don't mind refs getting it wrong if it is a quick, "bang-bang" play, where they couldn't possibly have gotten a good vantage point. They're only human.

It's the obvious blown call that are unacceptable.

Who was reffing the Seahawks vs Lions game last year, where Seattle blatantly batted the ball out of the end zone with no repercussions? With the ref standing right there no less! Those are examples of when heavy discipline should be forthcoming.

EDIT - I just watched the play on YouTube. Wright even celebrates after batting the ball out of bounds to draw further attention to it and *still* no call. What a complete joke.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And on their 3rd F-Up they should be "Canned!" Like any other Job!!(y):cool:

fearsomefour

Legend
Reduce the rule book by 25%, institute a real replay system that is quick....that being said, not everything is reviewable because games would take 8 hours.
Just like the IRS and law enforcement....if you want things to rule more smoothly, reduce the rule book.

fearsomefour

Legend
And on their 3rd F-Up they should be "Canned!" Like any other Job!!(y):cool:
F up defined how?.....a missed holding call?....a missed PI call....or a holding call that wasn't really holding?
There would be refs left by the end of the first quarter every week.
You can't really say "a call that directly impacts a games outcome" either....because they all do.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who was reffing the Seahawks vs Lions game last year, where Seattle blatantly batted the ball out of the end zone with no repercussions? With the ref standing right there no less!

Tony Corrente. The back judge was Greg Wilson.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I thought entire ref crew re-assigned meant they'd be off the field....Another example of the shield protecting itself....Looking out for one another...Why, maybe because it's just a game....Now if they start moving doctors or teachers around to new locations because of incompetence...oh wait!?:shocked::giveup:
Yeah. Or if they just "promoted" California state workers when they are trouble, or incompetent, that would really suck...oh wait!? :help:

:fuelfire:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
If everything was reviewable... these crappy Refs and game altering mistakes they make would be drastically reduced.

The technology is available now. Nothing should be more important than getting the calls correct.

Except that the avg time of a game would be about 11 hours...I get what you're saying though...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Study the rules, practice and test each other out. Hone their abilities. Attend camps and OTA's to help players and coaches learn the rules.\

There is plenty they can do.
Sitting in class wont do a darned thing to improve their performance. There is no simulation for a game.
In addition, in this theory we have to add the additional expenses associated with the training center. Staffing, insurance and day to day costs to run this.
Instead, get the owners to spend real $$$. There's no reason why they cant develop technology to eliminate the need for out of bounds determination or crossing the plane etc. Technology could eliminate 3/4 of the need for officials and they could be on the field strictly for rules interpretation, with assistance from the booth.
The game has gotten too fast for the human eye, let technology do its part

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Except that the avg time of a game would be about 11 hours...I get what you're saying though...

No way it would take 11 hours.

With an eye in the sky making calls... I doubt much time would be added to games at all. Hell,,, the time that the refs currently waste with their insane huddles would be decreased.

The newer technology is there to take advantage of. The day will come when it's used more in football. You can count on it.

Even if the games somehow lasted an extra 20 minutes... getting the correct call to happen would be totally worth it. But again, I doubt there would be a noticeable difference in time.